AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some war movie dvd's for my son, 12, who is interested in movies that realistically depict war. Any great movies, like Saving Private Ryan, Platoon, Black Hawk Down, etc. Thanks.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Are you sure you want to show WAR movies to your 12-yr old son? If you want to teach him the brutality of war, I'd understand, but most war movies these days are too twisted for kids, IMHO... I wouldn't worry too much about the violence (they get more from video games), but the portrayal of people mentally challenged in a war is something a 12-yr old might not be able to fully digest.

Okay, enough of parental discretion... I hope you are not offended...

Back to war movie recommendation... I would say Thin Red Line is one of the best war movies I've ever seen that actually shows a WAR. No hidden agenda, no lecturing, no simple good vs. evil setup... The movie just shows a war the way it is, especially the people in it, IMHO.

Speaking of war movies with twisted people in them, I would put Apocalypse Now on the top of the list. I try to watch it about once a year, and every time it shows me something different because I'm not the same person who watched it the previous year. I feel there is still so much more about the people in that movie, which I have not comprehended yet... I guess Jarhead had similar intention, but didn't even come close to Apocalypse Now.

One great movie I wouldn't mind my 12-yr old son (mine is a lot older, but if I had one that young) to watch is an old B/W movie titled Stalag 17. Well, it's not exactly a war movie because it is staged at a POW camp. But, it is one of the greatest war movies on my list. And for some reason, I still hum "When Johnny comes marching home again" all the time. I just can't help...

If you are more interested in what goes on behind the battlefield, I would recommend Tora Tora Tora. It shows an honest picture of what goes through the minds of the decision makers on both sides (the US and Japan during WWII) who put their own young men's lives on the line. Tora Tora Tora is a joint production between a US studio and a Japanese one, so it is not as biased as most other WWII movies.

You mentioned Black Hawk Down, and if you have not done it yet, I would strongly suggest watching the documentaries that are included in the 3-disk deluxe set. Especially the History Channel documentary will mean a lot more if you watch it after the movie. You see the real faces of the soldiers appeared in the movie, and it really hits you that Black Hawk Down was not just a movie. It snaps you right back to reality and gives you goosebumps.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Starlite, thanks so much for the great reply! Just what I was looking for. Not offended at all and I certainly agree about the video game violence! I will have to watch the Black Hawk documentaries.

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleroll /forum/post/12859033

I need some war movie dvd's for my son, 12, who is interested in movies that realistically depict war. Any great movies, like Saving Private Ryan, Platoon, Black Hawk Down, etc. Thanks.

Twelve O'Clock High.

-Bill

·
Registered
55 Posts
"We Were Soldiers" Vietnam movie based on a true story with Mel Gibson.

"The Guns of Navarone" for a WWII story, great movie but not as true to life.

"The Great Escape" for a WWII based on a real story with a great cast.

"The Great Raid" a recent WWII Pacific theater POW escape movie that shows a lot of the brutality of the way POW's were treated by the Japanese.

What war are you looking for?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the great recommendations! I have seen some of those myself.

HalfFast, I am looking for WWII and Vietnam, but any good movie will work.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Zulu (1964)
Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
Das Boot (1981)
The Great Escape (1963)
The African Queen (1951)
Stalag 17 (1953)
Patton (1970)
Schindler's List (1993)

I hesitated about the last one, but I did take my daughter to see it well before her 17th birthday and we talked about how anything resembling the Holocaust must never be allowed to happen again.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
The Longest Day

A Bridge Too Far

Patton

Bridge over the River Kwai

Hamburger Hill

Platoon

Letters from Iwo Jima

Tae Guk Ki: The Brotherhood of War

Home of the Brave

Das Boot

Days of Glory

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
They Were Expendable John Ford's great saga of the PT boats
The Story of GI Joe Bill Wellman's film about Ernie Pyle, with Burgess Meredith
Battleground Wellman's take on the Battle of the Bulge
Sahara Zoltan Korda's propaganda film about Bogart and the tank. Gripping
Enemy at the Gates Russian vs German sniper at Stalingrad. Extremely violent, but good
Cross of Iron Sam Peckinpah's film told from the German viewpoint on the Russian front
Das Boot the greatest sub film ever made. Get the full 5 hour version if you can
Ivan's Childhood Russian great Tarkovsky's artistic story of a boy in WWII
The Dirty Dozen Balderdash, but enjoyable
Bataan Robert Taylor and a good cast at the capture of the Philippines. Quite tense after a slow start
Air Force Howard Hawks' story of a bomber crew at the outbreak of WWII, w/screenplay work from William Faulkner
The Longest Day the stars come out like penguins on parade in this D-Day classic
The Dam Busters British classic about the raid on the Ruhr factories
In Which We Serve Noel Coward and David Lean's seagoing character study. Hard to find but brilliant
49th Parallel Powell and Pressburger's propaganda piece on the German sub crew in Canada racing for the American border (before Pearl Harbor). Fabulous
Downfall Hitler's last days

There are so many...

·
Registered
904 Posts
Band of Brothers

·
Registered
904 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Paths of Glory (1957)

and Full Metal Jacket (1987)

The Thin Red Line (1998)

Later on "The Mark of Cain" (2007) and Born on the Fourth of July (1989)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Johnny Got His Gun

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
The Thin Red Line

Platoon

Full Metal Jacket

SPR

Apocalypse Now

Dr. Strangelove (for adults)

MASH

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
I wouldn't recommend The Thin Red Line for a 12 year old, it's like trying to teach a kid pianist to play the "Rach 3". It's just too deep for them and they would be bored.

Same goes for Apocalypse Now.

I do recommend Black Hawk Down, Tears Of The Sun, SPR, Platoon and Ken Burn's War, which depicts the American involvement in WWII. This is not a feature film, but none the less worth the price of admission here.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts