AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any good war movies involving tank battles.

The only bit of tank battle I have seen is in Courage Under Fire.

And whatever happened to a Morgan Freeman WWII project to do with tanks.

We are due for a good war movie. The only one that I can see in the horizon is The Pacific - same team that brought Band of Brothers 2009.

A movie with German tank battles would be awesome.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Eh, we want so much more than "Battle of the Bulge" ... there are no good tank movies ... period.

I cant think of one good Tank vs Tank battle ....

Really the definitive Tank battle movie should be written about the Eastern Front ... where masses of high quality German tanks and highly trained tank crews

were confronted with hordes of speedy Russian T-34s and other impressive armour:

These illustrations are from Kursk ... perhaps the king of tank battles..

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Actually here is the very end of the best Tank film out there ... unfortunately it was filmed by the Wermacht during WW2...

Men Against Tanks ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQiQO2kOcwI

also unfortunately, the best part of this film is not shown on this YouTube video... they show a complete tank assault ( including infantry and air support) from beginning to end.

·
Registered
28,035 Posts
Seems like with new CGI technology available these days they should be able to do a movie with a vast tank battle like the one John mentioned at Kursk. Heck, there's probably someone working on one right now....

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
There as several tank scenes in "Kelly's Heroes". Not a traditional war movie but a fun one with Eastwood, Sutherland, Sevalas, Rickles, O'Connor, and more.

·
Registered
192 Posts
not a tank "battle" but if you are into tanks the movie THE BEAST is about a russian tank crew in the Afghan campaign. I was a tanker in USMC and we all loved this flick.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR_IN_LA /forum/post/12914978

Actually here is the very end of the best Tank film out there ... unfortunately it was filmed by the Wermacht during WW2...

Men Against Tanks ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQiQO2kOcwI

also unfortunately, the best part of this film is not shown on this YouTube video... they show a complete tank assault ( including infantry and air support) from beginning to end.

LOL what about a (sticky bomb)
that was used on the tanks tracks in Saving Private Ryan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithb /forum/post/12916428

There as several tank scenes in "Kelly's Heroes". Not a traditional war movie but a fun one with Eastwood, Sutherland, Sevalas, Rickles, O'Connor, and more.

That’s a classic,
a gold heist wasn’t it, didn’t they use the tank to blow a hole in the wall or, was it the bank safe, it’s been a few years since I’ve seen it?

Bovington isn’t too far from where I live, its in the Dorset area, and during certain times in the year, when walking along the Bournemouth shoreline, you can hear this mild low frequency sound, that sounds like an aircraft going though the (sound barrier) bouncing off the cliff tops, it’s a tone that tickles my ear when I hear it. It’s the tanks firing, doing tests on the tank range
and that’s like 10 12 miles away.

Bovington Tank Museum
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVwE7SSQbSU

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
There is a scene of a tank battle in Patton. I haven't seen it in a while though.

I do think the Battle of the Bulge tank sequences were among the best you'll find.

·
Registered
22,348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano /forum/post/12917999

I do think the Battle of the Bulge tank sequences were among the best you'll find.

Absolutely. They used virtually every tank that was in existence at the time. A number of them were modified to appear to be the correct model even though they weren't. Those scenes could only be done with CG today, cause there's only a handful of those tanks around that run. It's the only movie I've seen that depicts accurate large-scale tank tactics and formations in the field.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Tron.

sorry-missed the part about 'war movies'. Or that movie with Robin Williams where he uses those toy tanks, I thought that was cool.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrage /forum/post/12936212

Tron.

sorry-missed the part about 'war movies'. Or that movie with Robin Williams where he uses those toy tanks, I thought that was cool.

Nice find why wasn't I thinking of TRON, those tanks have a nice rumble on them, nice and deep.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Does Rat Patrol have tanks "hull down" on a hilltop exchanging long range armored piercing rounds with enemy tanks? Or do they have platoons of tanks assaulting dug in troops, with friendly troops providing cover fire?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts