AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was browsing amazon.uk and came across this . I could not find a thread on it so thought I would share. Anyone know if US will see a similar date and if not will the UK release be region free?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Geez, if they don't announce it soon there is almost no reason not to just import it. Right now, it would be about $20 shipped. I doubt it will be any cheaper buying the US version...

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJF /forum/post/18231035

Geez, if they don't announce it soon there is almost no reason not to just import it. Right now, it would be about $20 shipped. I doubt it will be any cheaper buying the US version...

I was thinking the same thing but I wanted a confirmation that it was not region locked before I did.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
I like certain parts of this movie a lot and other parts are so bad that it's just stupifying.

Typical SS for me.

I noticed the UK release date for SPR.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 /forum/post/18231782

I like certain parts of this movie a lot and other parts are so bad that it's just stupifying.

Typical SS for me.

I noticed the UK release date for SPR.

For me, my very specific problem was
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) the survival of the son. He was just so incredibly stupid, running over the hill into the explosion that I almost started yelling at the screen in the theater the first time I saw the movie when I found out he was alive. Spielberg has often been accused of "wussing out" as he's gotten older but I'd never really put any stock into it until that one part of War of the Worlds. It was just too damned much.

·
Premium Member
24,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation /forum/post/18232222

For me, my very specific problem was
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) the survival of the son. He was just so incredibly stupid, running over the hill into the explosion that I almost started yelling at the screen in the theater the first time I saw the movie when I found out he was alive. Spielberg has often been accused of "wussing out" as he's gotten older but I'd never really put any stock into it until that one part of War of the Worlds. It was just too damned much.

Agree I did not like his son.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin /forum/post/18232313

Agree I did not like his son.

Yeah, his character aggravated me throughout and I'd identify him as the worst part of the movie overall. But it was the consequences (or lack thereof) for the decisions he made that frustrated me the most.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation /forum/post/18232353

Yeah, his character aggravated me throughout and I'd identify him as the worst part of the movie overall. But it was the consequences (or lack thereof) for the decisions he made that frustrated me the most.

My other issue was that the kid who played the son was such a bad actor, that he couldn't really sell the character at all. I wasn't sure exactly what Spielberg was trying to convey with the character. The whole father and son bonding thing was just not there, and that could've simply been established with the girl alone. I really hope he revisits the movie with some director's cut. Quite possibly his worst movie in recent memory if you don't count the last Indiana Jones.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited /forum/post/18232374

My other issue was that the kid who played the son was such a bad actor, that he couldn't really sell the character at all. I wasn't sure exactly what Spielberg was trying to convey with the character. The whole father and son bonding thing was just not there, and that could've simply been established with the girl alone. I really hope he revisits the movie with some director's cut. Quite possibly his worst movie in recent memory if you don't count the last Indiana Jones.

Well, I don't count the last Indiana Jones because I think it was consistent with the previous films in the series when it came to levels of ridiculousness and I enjoyed it for what it was - and I still think it's better than Temple of Doom, even if it's demonstrably worse than the other two. But if we're not careful, this will just blow up into another series of rants on Indy 4 so let's just cut it off at simple disagreement.

War of the Worlds... I love the first half of the movie. I love it so much that I'll buy this on Blu-ray Disc. But as soon as they get into the cellar with the Tim Robbins character, the whole thing goes downhill and it just gets worse as it goes. I'm just happy that some Spielberg films are showing up on Blu-ray this year. So far, we're confirmed to get Saving Private Ryan, War of the Worlds and Minority Report. I wouldn't be surprised if we get AI as well and Jaws is already confirmed for next year even if it's ridiculous that they're going to hold onto it for that long.

·
Premium Member
24,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation /forum/post/18232586

Well, I don't count the last Indiana Jones because I think it was consistent with the previous films in the series when it came to levels of ridiculousness and I enjoyed it for what it was - and I still think it's better than Temple of Doom, even if it's demonstrably worse than the other two. But if we're not careful, this will just blow up into another series of rants on Indy 4 so let's just cut it off at simple disagreement.

War of the Worlds... I love the first half of the movie. I love it so much that I'll buy this on Blu-ray Disc. But as soon as they get into the cellar with the Tim Robbins character, the whole thing goes downhill and it just gets worse as it goes. I'm just happy that some Spielberg films are showing up on Blu-ray this year. So far, we're confirmed to get Saving Private Ryan, War of the Worlds and Minority Report. I wouldn't be surprised if we get AI as well and Jaws is already confirmed for next year even if it's ridiculous that they're going to hold onto it for that long.

A.I. has been on and off last year over here in Australia. Still waiting for a hopefully 2010 release.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Not so much that I didn't like him it's just that he does things that no one in their right mind would do, even a teenager.

To pile on:

One minute Dakota Fanning is screaming like a 4 year-old and the next minute she's some sort of child-savant. Please.

There are some cool\\chilling scenes like the "ghost train" and the "raining clothes" and some pretty decent LFE

·
Registered
17,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 /forum/post/18232762

Not so much that I didn't like him it's just that he does things that no one in their right mind would do, even a teenager.

To pile on:

One minute Dakota Fanning is screaming like a 4 year-old and the next minute she's some sort of child-savant. Please.

There are some cool\\chilling scenes like the "ghost train" and the "raining clothes" and some pretty decent LFE

DECENT LFE?
I had to laugh when I read that. This one has one of the best all time LFE tracks.

·
Registered
45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe /forum/post/18233535

DECENT LFE?
I had to laugh when I read that. This one has one of the best all time LFE tracks.

Very true

I have a feeling that the 'emergence' scene towards the beginning in lossless HD audio will be the new subwoofer demo scene for Millions

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin /forum/post/18232605

A.I. has been on and off last year over here in Australia. Still waiting for a hopefully 2010 release.

Geez, still not out?

I will import WOTW for the killer LFE alone.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I do hope they fix the image color/lighting for the blu-ray. On the DVD, the CG Tripods sticks out like a sore thumb(not how i remember it on the big screen and I've seen it like 4 times)

·
Registered
3,624 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGWTG /forum/post/18235026

I do hope they fix the image color/lighting for the blu-ray. On the DVD, the CG Tripods sticks out like a sore thumb(not how i remember it on the big screen and I've seen it like 4 times)

+1. I'll wait on opinions for the BD PQ before I take the plunge.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I wonder if we will ever see the vast amount of cut footage (and there was a lot).

One scene in particular which was cut was

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) ...a scene after they have escaped from the Ferry they then discover the "red weed" in a forest, then come across the tripods again in small town, a tripod comes nearby and begins pushing its tentacles into a building searching for people, Cruise and the kids hide behind a car then Cruise whispers the line "nothing can touch them" - which is in one or more of the theatrical trailers - (the Japanese one I think for sure has it).

The "nothing can touch them" line is the first time Cruise works out that the tripods have "shields", which makes more sense when Cruise near the end of the film see's the birds resting on the tripod, shouts "No Shields!" to the soldier, thus works out that "things can now touch them = no shields".

There must be at least 25 minutes of cut footage I reckon. I used to know of this great webpage which had a compilation of all the glimpses of cut material, mainly taken from still photo's on set, and some clips from the trailers which show cut material, but the site in question appears to have shut down, "eveofthewar.com" was the site.

EDIT, this is the Japanese teaser which has quite a few shots of deleted [email protected] 00:14, 00:19, 00:35, 00:38
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJok67tw5yU

1 - 20 of 41 Posts