AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know, what rock have I been hiding under.
Since I have had my theater up and running. I've never tried WOTW. So the other day I put it in and went straight to the pod emergence scene expecting to be blown away. As I was listening to it, I kept thinking, WTH!? This doesn't sound good at all. Yeah there was some bass, but what really bothered me were the sound effects and such. It was soo quiet. It was like the sounds were coming from the back of a 20' long speaker box, with the speaker at the far end. Super quiet, and very distant. I kept wondering if there was something wrong with the movie because it was so lack luster. I got online, searching for an answer, and found out about the DTS version. So I went in for round two. I went to the same scene and changed the soundtrack to the DTS version. HOLY CRAP!! Now this is what everyone is always talking about. The sound effects, speech, etc were so much more pronounced. Not just by db's, but clarity, more forward, and didn't sound like it was coming from 20' deep box with the speaker at the far end. Then there was the bass. Good lord!! When the machine's foot comes out of the ground and onto the road, was incredible. Then right after that, the machine's foot smashes down on the car was an even more "good lord" moment. From outside my theater, I thought the door was going to come off the hinges. So yeah, the DTS track is by far 100 times better than the DD track. Now I know why my Jurassic park DD dvd sounds so lack luster in the bass department also. But from what I've found out, trying to find the "corrected" DTS version of JP is hard to find. Anyway, just thought I would share my thoughts on this as it was a fun time for me.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
625 Posts
that's funny,i don't have any problems listening woftw on dolby digital, all the sound track and bass are "loud". Even on dts sound track,can ask i one qustion?
have u "properly,calibrate your system and balance your speakers with a spl meter? (sound pressure meter)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,674 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvGeek07 /forum/post/18184478


that's funny,i don't have any problems listening woftw on dolby digital,

Same here... there isn't that much difference between DD and DTS. Maybe he was listening in ProLogic mode initially?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,103 Posts
The DTS is about 3dB louder. I haven't tried the DD version of that track. If there are differences, it's because the DTS is a different "mix" of the sound, not because of differences between DD and DTS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All calibrated, and functioning properly.
I listen using Neural THX 7.1 as I find this to sound the best to me. There is a huge difference between the WOTW DD and DTS tracks on my system. The DD track is laughable for this movie compared to the DTS track. Not sure why. Ive noticed this on a few DVD's Ive watched. The latest one being The final destination. It was just quiet, and had that "off in the distance" sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri /forum/post/18184658


The DTS is about 3dB louder. I haven't tried the DD version of that track. If there are differences, it's because the DTS is a different "mix" of the sound, not because of differences between DD and DTS.

It has to be the mix from what I have found researching it. But with most other movies with DD & DTS tracks they sound pretty much the same according to what most people are saying. But that is not the case with WOTW, and JP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid_68 /forum/post/18183451


So yeah, the DTS track is by far 100 times better than the DD track. Now I know why my Jurassic park DD dvd sounds so lack luster in the bass department also. But from what I've found out, trying to find the "corrected" DTS version of JP is hard to find.

i have all 3 Jurassic park movies in DTS


not sure if they make them anymore with DTS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,158 Posts
there is more boom with the DTS track over the DD, i have listen to both switch bac k and forth you get way more viceralness frm the DTS track
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri /forum/post/18184658


The DTS is about 3dB louder. I haven't tried the DD version of that track. If there are differences, it's because the DTS is a different "mix" of the sound, not because of differences between DD and DTS.

More like 5-6dB louder going from DD to DTS on the WOTW mix if I'm not mistaken. It was mastered very hotly for DTS. I still remember when this one first came out, people were blowing their center channel speakers when the newly arisen pod blows the warning horn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whasaaaab /forum/post/18185378


there is more boom with the DTS track over the DD, i have listen to both switch bac k and forth you get way more viceralness frm the DTS track

If you didn't level match them to within 0.5 dB, that statement is meaningless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,103 Posts
Just turn the volume up 3dB / notches when switching to DD, then back down 3dB going to DTS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,245 Posts
It sounds like your receiver might be picking a different decoding for your DD, maybe it changes from neural THX while the DTS is always DTS so sounds better. Maybe certain movies trigger this to happen as it does not do this with all DD discs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri /forum/post/18186228


Just turn the volume up 3dB / notches when switching to DD, then back down 3dB going to DTS.

I did that try that, but upped it 8db for the DD track as Ive seen others say that the DTS track is 8db hotter. But the DTS still wins. Yes the DD track is then "louder" but the clarity and forwardness(thats the only word I can think of for it) is still better with the DTS track. Like I said above, with the DD track, the effects sound very "distant" but not in a way that upping the volume can fix. If Im making any sense.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater /forum/post/18186280


It sounds like your receiver might be picking a different decoding for your DD, maybe it changes from neural THX while the DTS is always DTS so sounds better. Maybe certain movies trigger this to happen as it does not do this with all DD discs.

Every time Ive looked at the display on my AVR its always reading Neural THX with both DD, and DTS. Is there some thing I might be missing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid_68 /forum/post/18187316


I did that try that, but upped it 8db for the DD track as Ive seen others say that the DTS track is 8db hotter. But the DTS still wins. Yes the DD track is then "louder" but the clarity and forwardness(thats the only word I can think of for it) is still better with the DTS track. Like I said above, with the DD track, the effects sound very "distant" but not in a way that upping the volume can fix. If Im making any sense.





Every time Ive looked at the display on my AVR its always reading Neural THX with both DD, and DTS. Is there some thing I might be missing?

Hmmm. I thought Neural THX was for stereo sources, upmixed and enhanced for 5.1/7.1 ? I never use that mode. I stick with the straight THX Ultra or Ultra 2 modes. Or just DD/DTS HD modes. This is from my receiver manual:


"Neural THX 5.1/7.1

Neural-THX Surround employs psychoacoustic frequency

domain processing, which allows delivery of a

more detailed sound stage, with superior channel separation

and localization of audio elements. The Neural THX

5.1 and Neural THX 7.1 modes can expand any 2-channel

stereo source for 5.1- or 7.1-channel playback,

respectively. Use them with CD, radio, cassette, TV,

VHS, DVD, and other 2-channel stereo sources, including

video games. Neural-THX Surround can also be

used by broadcasters to encode and transmit surroundsound

content over a stereo signal, which listeners can

enjoy as either surround sound or normal stereo. XM

Satellite Radio, for example, is using Neural-THX Surround

on select channels, which the AV receiver can

expand from 5.1 channels to 7.1 channels."


Try the DD/DTS HD modes, you might be in for a pleasant surprise!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,103 Posts
The WotW DTS soundtrack may have been a different mix altogether, not just a different encode of the same soundtrack as DD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,506 Posts
I remember people saying that "The Haunting" was alot better with the dts version. Chapter 10 "Creaking Pipes" tears the house down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
I've also had all the JP movies in DTS since the day they came out as well as plenty of other DTS DVD's and from my experience the DTS versions have been superior sounding in my space to my ears. I'll have to pick up a copy of WOW to test out my system!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,674 Posts
Sound levels aside, DTS also uses less compression than DD; but whether you'd be able to actually hear the difference is another story. Personally, if I have a choice, I do prefer DTS. One exception that I recall is "The Rock" (Criterion Collection) where the DD track seems better than DTS for some reason.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top