AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok all you LFE addicts. It has finally been announced by Paramount and Dreamworks Home Entertainment that they are releasing War of the Worlds on Blu-ray. It will probably have 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio.

See Here

and here

I guess all of us will have to hire a structural engineer to check and improve our houses before it hits the retail shelves.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Thanks for the info. I never bought this on dvd but, now it looks like I will on Blu!

·
Registered
818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek /forum/post/18276819

I guess all of us will have to hire a structural engineer to check and improve our houses before it hits the retail shelves.

Correct.

I'll be buying this. The PQ has LOTS of room for improvement with the blu-ray transfer.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelinas /forum/post/18277459

Correct.

I'll be buying this. The PQ has LOTS of room for improvement with the blu-ray transfer.

I hear you. I have never owned the DVD of this movie. Rented it a couple of times and was disappointed with the picture. I have not rented it since getting the ULS-15 Dual Drive, so It's going to be fun putting it through it's paces on the Blue edition.

·
Banned
625 Posts
Awesome!,I'm sure i'll be picking this one up.

Even though i already have this on standard dvd. I'm slowly converting to blu-ray!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelinas /forum/post/18277459

Correct.

Agreed, I can't wait for the audio, but I put the DVD in this weekend, and can't believe how horrific the picture is on this title.

·
Registered
287 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******* /forum/post/18278655

Agreed, I can't wait for the audio, but I put the DVD in this weekend, and can't believe how horrific the picture is on this title.

lol same thing, we watched it this weekend too. And even though the PS3 was upconverting, it still was just MEH.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
I just wish the movie was better. I already have plenty of good movies with demo scenes in them. Just never thought much of WoW. Definitely one of my least favorite Spielberg efforts. Still, the LFE should be a standout yet again.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 /forum/post/18279838

I just wish the movie was better. I already have plenty of good movies with demo scenes in them. Just never thought much of WoW. Definitely one of my least favorite Spielberg efforts. Still, the LFE should be a standout yet again.

That is also my opinion of the movie. It is an awfully lame movie but I am hoping that it can improve on the sound (hmmm sub 15hz info) and PQ from the DVD. When it comes out it will still be a rental first to see what improvements there will be.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
If you want to gain an appreciation for this movie, first watch WoW2-The Next Wave with C. Thomas Howell (also directed). Talk about a bad movie. Funny, he also appeared in an episode of The Love Boat called The Next Wave which I'm positive was much better than the movie.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek /forum/post/18279903

That is also my opinion of the movie. It is an awfully lame movie but I am hoping that it can improve on the sound (hmmm sub 15hz info) and PQ from the DVD. When it comes out it will still be a rental first to see what improvements there will be.

Same here. I'll still rent it just to check out the audio. Nothing wrong with watching a movie just so you can listen to parts of it.

·
Registered
16,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek /forum/post/18279903

.................I am hoping that it can improve on the sound (hmmm sub 15hz info)...................

I seriously doubt the low-end is going to be be improved upon. The hirez codecs won't really provide anything extension-wise that isn't already there. I mean, c'mon, the DVD's soundtrack is already a low-end gold standard. (And if you've seen the individual channels' waterfalls, you know that all that low-end info isn't encoded solely in the LFE channel, either.)

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/18280889

I seriously doubt the low-end is going to be be improved upon. The hirez codecs won't really provide anything extension-wise that isn't already there. I mean, c'mon, the DVD's soundtrack is already a low-end gold standard. (And if you've seen the individual channels' waterfalls, you know that all that low-end info isn't encoded solely in the LFE channel, either.)

I have seen the waterfalls. I have heard the DVD but still ........

·
Registered
7,802 Posts

Quote:

I think most people's wish here is that the LFE will be recorded hotter than the DVD.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts

Quote:

I agree here. I'm not expecting much of a difference SQ wise at all. PQ will be better on the BD.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 /forum/post/18281740

I think most people's wish here is that the LFE will be recorded hotter than the DVD.

Is this so you can turn the volume down, still hear great LFE, but not have to hear Dakota Fanning talk?

·
Registered
7,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac /forum/post/18281913

Is this so you can turn the volume down, still hear great LFE, but not have to hear Dakota Fanning talk?

She has dialog in this one? I thought she just screamed (similar to me when I had to watch the whole movie).

1 - 20 of 165 Posts