AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an Adcom 555 and i love it ,i have a bright room because i can't use carpet (allergies). i tried my onkyo reciever to power my fronts for a test and it sounded bright and ear fatigue. but it had better base. so i'm looking for more power with warm sound and better base . been looking at the carver zr1600 pro amp any other recommendations

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Forget changing the amp and change the speakers or work on the room itself instead.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
If your happy with the speakers, and you don't mind size and weight, Earthquake Grande 3. I have it and love it. Punchy bass and not fatiguing at all. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i just bi amped my axiom m80's with the onkyo reciever for the base and the adcom for the mid's and high's and sounds pretty dam good ,so still looking for as many warm ,with detail ,sounding amps with at least 200 watts 8ohm that you all can suggest . and i'll find a great base amp with around the same power for the low end

·
Registered
558 Posts
The biggest factor on the brightness are the speakers themselves and the room. If those two constants you cannot change, try a tube amp, maybe change out the CD player. Though the point of returns is smaller with the components besides the speakers and the room.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
For 2 channel Sunfire 300x2 used, $600 to $800, or Sunfire 5 channel x 200w for $900.00 up, used.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunstone /forum/post/0

the earthquake sounds awsome from the reviews but i'd have to find it used .which is find if someone would sell it lol

I was fortunate to find one for $750 used.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Sunstone,

I am not trying to be a parrot here, but treat your room first and then adjust from there.

Treating a room IMHO is something that I should have done a long time ago. Once the ding dong went off in my head after prompting by some people much more versed then I in the hobby, I finally took the plunge. It's an investment that pays dividends.

If you've already done it or it's not possible, then disregard what I wrote.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozvz /forum/post/0

Sunstone,

I am not trying to be a parrot here, but treat your room first and then adjust from there.

Treating a room IMHO is something that I should have done a long time ago. Once the ding dong went off in my head after prompting by some people much more versed then I in the hobby, I finally took the plunge. It's an investment that pays dividends.

If you've already done it or it's not possible, then disregard what I wrote.

I second this. There are some great companies that if you tell them about your room, they can help you tame those high's.

I put up some basic treatments, behind my speakers, and the first reflection point, and it made a huge difference.

Michael

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Hi Sunstone,

Even before trying acoustic treatments - play more with your loudspeaker placement.

For example, if you want emphasized bass - move your speakers closer to your front wall, and side walls of the room. Granted, if you just slam them smack into the corners, you might not be happy with the sound, but the bass will be maximized.

Have you tried any EQ with your receiver to tune the sound to your liking?

You can throw a lot of money at the problem, and simply mask underlying issues, or you can try many effective free alternatives before that.

Good luck,

- Steve O.

·
Registered
591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunstone /forum/post/0

i have an Adcom 555 and i love it ,i have a bright room because i can't use carpet (allergies). i tried my onkyo reciever to power my fronts for a test and it sounded bright and ear fatigue. but it had better base. so i'm looking for more power with warm sound and better base . been looking at the carver zr1600 pro amp any other recommendations

You might looks at used Outlaw or ATI amps, given they were some of the people making some Adcom stuff.

I thought the Outlaw I heard last year was more in the bass, warm sound than bright.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for replies ,i have the first reflection treated ,the problem is the concrete floor . but really the receiver just was to bright or the speaker plus room is bright ether way the adcom works for the highs . reading about the sunfire amp it sounds perfect to biwire it ,if you read about it you would understand

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Amplfiers are at MOST 1% of your sound quality/signature (well, excluding hiss/hum/etc)

·
Registered
3,652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonoMan /forum/post/0

Amplfiers are at MOST 1% of your sound quality/signature (well, excluding hiss/hum/etc)

In my experience, I have Paradigm Studio V3's all around. At first, they were powered by my current receiver the Pioneer 47TX. Now, the receiver is used as a pre/pro only and powered by the Earthquake. MY sound is night and day different for the better.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.