AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my RPTV calibrated and the technicion made a comment that sports and other events under flourescent lighting should be viewed using the cool setting; black and white movies should be viewed using the warm setting are there any other situations you guys can come up with where i would move the color temperature away from 'normal'?

any help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
856 Posts
I was under the impression that you always wanted it to be set to warm for all situations. I suppose that could be for my specific set, which happens to be a direct-view, but I thought it was a general statement.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
You shouldn't have any fluorescent lighting on at all! The TV should be backlit with a 6500K bulb with a specific brightness (VE and other calibration discs include this level for comparison). In addition to glare on your screen, the incorrect lighting can wash out your picture (resulting in poor contrast levels).

·
Registered
761 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RScogland
I was under the impression that you always wanted it to be set to warm for all situations. I suppose that could be for my specific set, which happens to be a direct-view, but I thought it was a general statement.
My original reply was incorrect. My TV was set to "preference" from day one. This is the only mode that allows me to make adjustments on my RPTV. My Toshiba's choices are sprorts/standard/movie and those settings are fixed and can't be altered without it automatically changing to preference and asking me to save the changes. I can't imagine anyone having a set like mine to use anything but preference as it's the only way to change anything to taste or calibration via Avia. It's been so long since I'd played with those selections, I forgot how they worked. If I had to choose one, warm would be the best one.

Terry

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I have it set mine set to normal. Cool is too washed out for me and I dont like the 'warm' tint

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i was referring to flourescent lighting at the sporting event thats televised....not at my house

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.