AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for The Aviator on Amazon and noticed that below the price they have posted:

"Warner Bros. has announced plans to discontinue its support of the HD DVD format after May 31, 2008. See a list of Warner HD DVD titles."

So...they are actively trying to disuade buyers as well? Readers of this forum know the score and might still buy, but the average consumer will be driven off by such a statement. Are they putting stickers on discs at stores too?

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Pretty interesting. I wonder if that was a decision by amazon or Warner. They are probably just trying to cover their @ss because there are probably a lot of people who have no clue about the Warner decision.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Actually I believe it's a way to push more movies by Amazon. Better get them while they're hot sort of thing. Kind of like Disney promoting a Special Edition Snow White and saying it will be released only for a short time.

·
Banned
188 Posts
Personally I think it's a VERY smart move and should be done at every store. Sure the enthusiast crowd knows what's going on but there might be hundreds/thousands of "newbie" customers out there that thought/think the cheapo depot Toshiba''s mean(t) they were home free getting into the hi-def DVD world but DIDN'T know that they will soon lose all future Warner titles in May...this kind of "warning label" will help them decide if adopting HD DVD is wise for them or not.

Sure it will discourage a great number of "newbies" perhaps, so what? I rather companies be honest about this than deceive the buyer...I say full disclosure is a wise move for all retailers selling HDM's.

Note that this also goes for Blu stuff...it would be nice to have a bolded disclaimer on their products as well...it goes both ways.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Anyone who think's Amazon is biased towards Blu-Ray hasn't looked for HD content on Amazon!

Just look at their Blu-Ray pages versus HD-DVD.

Someone in the Blu-Ray camp has ties to Amazon or vice versa.

·
Banned
188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James R. Geib /forum/post/12927144

Anyone who think's Amazon is biased towards Blu-Ray hasn't looked for HD content on Amazon!

As does BB, CC, Sears, and most retailers it seems...HD DVD has been pushed to the far far background over the last year or so from what I've observed.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
They are probably protecting themselves against returns.

But is it better to discourage the sale in the first place?

A title available "for a limited time" gives a much different impression than "will stop supporting." Are they going to put disclaimers on the players as well? Will BD come with a "disclaimer" that they do not play Universal titles or that HD DVD players will not play FOX?

What a crazy cluster-blank this is.

·
Banned
188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueCrew /forum/post/12927207

But is it better to discourage the sale in the first place?

A title available "for a limited time" gives a much different impression than "will stop supporting." Are they going to put disclaimers on the players as well? Will BD come with a "disclaimer" that they do not play Universal titles or that HD DVD players will not play FOX?

What a crazy cluster-blank this is.

Agreed...but I believe this is just one of the many hurdles HDM has created due to divided formats, divided studios etc.....none of this would need to be done if we could get just one format and all studios switched to that chosen format. It appears they are attempting to go towards one format, but there's a long road ahead to see if that will come true.

So you can't fault companies involved in HDM for trying to keep the general public informed about the limitations of some HDM products etc.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ryder /forum/post/12927154

As does BB, CC, Sears, and most retailers it seems...HD DVD has been pushed to the far far background over the last year or so from what I've observed.

At the stores I searched just before and now after the holidays, HD-DVD was nearly an impossible find. Target - only Blu-ray. CC, BB, Wal-Mart - HUGE Blu-ray flashy display fully stocked; HD-DVD hidden if any at all. That sent me a pretty clear message. I typically shop online anyway, but from a consumer's point of view, Blu-ray is readily available and is "sexier." Blu-Ray is the iPod of HD - sure there are better and cheaper MP3 players, but everyone wants the iPod.

I still love the A35 and will not buy another piece of hardware until there is only one format with dual players.

·
Banned
188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwiniii /forum/post/12927442

At the stores I searched just before and now after the holidays, HD-DVD was nearly an impossible find. Target - only Blu-ray. CC, BB, Wal-Mart - HUGE Blu-ray flashy display fully stocked; HD-DVD hidden if any at all. That sent me a pretty clear message. I typically shop online anyway, but from a consumer's point of view, Blu-ray is readily available and is "sexier." Blu-Ray is the iPod of HD - sure there are better and cheaper MP3 players, but everyone wants the iPod.

I still love the A35 and will not buy another piece of hardware until there is only one format with dual players.

The ipod example is a PERFECT way to state the current status of hi-def DVD.

Not many folks in my circle of friends even talk/ask about HDM stuff but the very few that do ALWAYS seem to go straight to Blu when asking about HDM...they pretty much think Blu Ray is the only format, I have to remind them that there still is a war going on, but yes Blu has a wonderful marketing plan and has made it look to be the "must have" hi-def format.

·
Registered
284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueCrew /forum/post/12927207

Return for what? Universal and Paramount are still selling HD dvds and last I heard will continue to do so. If Amazon has taken that step I would think they would also have to put a disclaimer on the Uni and Para selections as well claiming that the format may die eventually and consumers are purchasing all HD dvds at their own risk.

IMO they are not trying to watch out for the consumer at all. As stated above they are trying to panic the consumer into purchasing the WB releases because after May you're not going to be able to buy them stateside especially if Warner says pull all HDs this date. Though that would be silly on their part, but I don't know what's in the contract they signed with blu.

·
Banned
188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWB /forum/post/12927885

Return for what? Universal and Paramount are still selling HD dvds and last I heard will continue to do so. If Amazon has taken that step I would think they would also have to put a disclaimer on the Uni and Para selections as well claiming that the format may die eventually and consumers are purchasing all HD dvds at their own risk.

Well since there is pretty much a firm date for the end of Warner's support, it's simple for Amazon etc to safely warn "newbies" that you will no longer be able to buy new releases from Warner starting in may...that way if a guy has no CLUE about the studio situation, he can stop and think "wait...I totally love this movie and that movie and they are Warner flicks, I better think about what format I want to buy"....well you get the jist.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James R. Geib /forum/post/12927144

I don't know that I buy into that - Amazon offers pretty much everything available and I don't see any steering to or away from either high def format. I expect they are trying to be up front with the situation after going through the post Warner customer panic emails and calls. They were very helpful and cooperative to this customer - basically letting me decide whatever I wanted to do with my new HD-A30 (return for a full refund with an extended time to make a decision or accept their price matching which reflected the reduced list prices put out by Toshiba). I kept my stuff - accepted those refunds - got a bunch of movies free and/or dirt cheap - and I'm enjoying it all.

·
Registered
308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 /forum/post/12928125

I don't know that I buy into that - Amazon offers pretty much everything available and I don't see any steering to or away from either high def format. I expect they are trying to be up front with the situation after going through the post Warner customer panic emails and calls. They were very helpful and cooperative to this customer - basically letting me decide whatever I wanted to do with my new HD-A30 (return for a full refund with an extended time to make a decision or accept their price matching which reflected the reduced list prices put out by Toshiba). I kept my stuff - accepted those refunds - got a bunch of movies free and/or dirt cheap - and I'm enjoying it all.

Agreed. Amazon is the best retailer I've ever dealt with, online or b&m.....and they sell a few hundred thousand items if I were guessing. BOGO's have been spread pretty much evenly as well. You can't blame them for having a flashy Blu-ray page when they probably sell at least 70-30 br to hd-dvd....

·
Registered
743 Posts
I think they are just trying to be helpful to consumers. When they show that warning, you can also click on a link that will show all the Warner movies. Then you can decide if you want to get any of those movies while they are still available.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I don't see any disclaimers on the Paramount - Blu-ray titles still available for purchase...

·
Registered
462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 /forum/post/12928125

+1

amazon is as unbiased a retailer as they come. you know they're doing something right when fanboys from both sides repeatedly complain that they're biased.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSaucer /forum/post/12926980

I was looking for The Aviator on Amazon and noticed that below the price they have posted:

"Warner Bros. has announced plans to discontinue its support of the HD DVD format after May 31, 2008. See a list of Warner HD DVD titles."

So...they are actively trying to disuade buyers as well? Readers of this forum know the score and might still buy, but the average consumer will be driven off by such a statement. Are they putting stickers on discs at stores too?

Funny- they didn't post a tag on the BR profile 1.0 players- that would have been helpful as well.....

" Blu Ray players have not finalized the specifications of their players, thus buying this player will prevent the user from future features available on this format- purchase at your own risk"

·
Registered
868 Posts
Someone needs to contact Amazon

It's an incorrect list any way, it has a few BBC titles (and a few others that are NOT WB).

Probably a hydra plant, Planet Earth HD would suddenly get a notation that it was region encoded and not for US players, Links to Player rebates suddenly disappear.

So Far WB has said they will continue to support HD titles released before the cut off date, until they say differently this is a highly inappropriate notation.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts