AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if this been discussed before but can it be that Warner may not be too confident in HD-DVD when they're only releasing HD-DVD movies combo style whereas BD are not? Can this be way for them to not completely PO'd combo owners if HD-DVD loses out? Or is this a hardware issue, able to put DVD version on same HD-DVD discs but not w/ BD?

Flame suit on. :)))

·
Registered
874 Posts
I personally think that Warner and Universal should ONLY release combos for new releases and NOT release a SD DVD at all. It would really push the HD DVD format and basically make people choose a side sooner than they normally would have. A trojan horse to compete with the PS3.

They would just have to be willing to price it as a normal DVD ~ $20. It would also save on how many separate releases they have. In Warner's case 4 (SD, SD WS, HD DVD, BD) would be cut down to 2 (HD DVD combo, BD). In Universal's case it would cut from 3 (SD, SD WS, HD DVD) to 1 (HD DVD combo)

Think about it. 6 months to 1 year down the road when they say I want to get into high-def. Hmm, I already have 7 HD DVDs, might as well go with that format b/c I don't have any BD.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
^^^ I agree with you on this. Of course, making every new SD-DVD release a combo would also have the benefit of bringing down combo prices because of volume of sales and production runs. The interest thing about Warner is that by moving to their THD discs they would effectively be forfeiting valuable info. There would be no way of telling whether their THD discs are selling better on BD or HD-DVD. So I very much doubt that they're not too confident in HD-DVD, it probably shows that they don't really care as long as the disc sales keep going.

·
Registered
117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell /forum/post/0

BD is not part of the DVD Forum, hence no combos

-Gary

Hmm.. Well, since BD is not part of the DVD Forum, why is Warner going to put out TotalHD discs with both BD and HD DVD? Hopefully they won't put out that non-sense, but all indications are they're still planning on doing it. My guess is that it costs enough to produce BD discs, let alone send them to another plant to get the DVD side taken care. One of the big selling points of HD DVD is that it takes very little to go from stamping DVDs to stamping HD DVDs, so they probably can do it easily, and consider it a "value added" option. I wish they didn't charge for this option, or at least give us a choice whether to get a combo version or not, but I guess I was out when they called to ask my opinion.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
BD was unable to produce combo discs in a yield that would be efficient for distribution but yes studios love the idea of this as much as extras... If they could do it they would.

As for THD I hold judgement till I see what qualtity is released at what price. I suspect however that we will see smaller size discs such as HD15/BR25s with "exact same content on both format as stated by the studios" at an increase price.

Wow they already discussed increasing the price, I'm not even willing to purchase them at the same price let alone an increased price if it means the discs are going to be limited in size, hence either having a loss of quality and/or content...

·
Registered
532 Posts
I think the best way to integrate is to eliminate SD-DVD production of a combo. Sounds like a PS3 tactic...I know but with that should come price regulation. Think about it....those who do not have a player can see the possibilities of the the next-gen format by buying the combo and eventually buying an HD-DVD player. That way.....both SD and HD-DVD owners buy the same product while SD owners draw interest in the future format just by looking at the box. Sounds crazy but the key here would have to be price. If they can sacrifice a few dollars and make it appealing.....hmmmm.

Oh well...food for thought.

·
Registered
643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsHT /forum/post/0

BD was unable to produce combo discs in a yield that would be efficient for distribution but yes studios love the idea of this as much as extras... If they could do it they would.

As for THD I hold judgement till I see what qualtity is released at what price. I suspect however that we will see smaller size discs such as HD15/BR25s with "exact same content on both format as stated by the studios" at an increase price.

Wow they already discussed increasing the price, I'm not even willing to purchase them at the same price let alone an increased price if it means the discs are going to be limited in size, hence either having a loss of quality and/or content...

I truly hope they don't release THD disks. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.", i.e. BD works fine, leave it alone hehe.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I personally dislike combos, mainly because of the additional cost. I would own at least ten more HD-DVD titles if they hadn't been released as combos. i consider it unfair for us early supporters of HD-DVD to have to spend more to make it easier for those not yet into HD to be able to switch over later. It would be interesting to know (and impossible to determine I suppose) how many combos are actually sold to non HD player owners compared to HD player owners - and whether the sale to non HD owners is more than the loss of sales to people like me who won't buy because they are combos.

·
Registered
643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moovtune /forum/post/0

I personally dislike combos, mainly because of the additional cost. I would own at least ten more HD-DVD titles if they hadn't been released as combos. i consider it unfair for us early supporters of HD-DVD to have to spend more to make it easier for those not yet into HD to be able to switch over later. It would be interesting to know (and impossible to determine I suppose) how many combos are actually sold to non HD player owners compared to HD player owners - and whether the sale to non HD owners is more than the loss of sales to people like me who won't buy because they are combos.

If I had to guess, I doubt the combos are selling well to anyone outside of early adopters. Most people buy DVDs retail, and they don't even know what HD DVD or Blu-ray is, let alone go to that section of the DVD aisles.

They'd sell a lot better if the DVD wasn't sold anymore, because then you could put the combos in the DVD section...not that I am in favor of making more combos LOL.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I was never a fan of Combos. With the ongoing incompatibility issues, I wish studios would get rid of the Combos all together. The higher price doesn't help HD-DVD either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolintheRain /forum/post/0

I personally think that Warner and Universal should ONLY release combos for new releases and NOT release a SD DVD at all...

They would just have to be willing to price it as a normal DVD ~ $20.

I totally agree. If they must use combos, then this is the way they should go about with them. Cease production of SD-DVD releases and only offer a combo at a lower price. It's simple and extremely effective.

Few HD owners want the SD version, and even fewer SD owners will pay for the combo when they can get the SD only for 2x less!

I'd like to know where their marketing department was at the time of their decision.

·
Premium Member
8,687 Posts
I agree the best way to get HD adopted is to cease production of SD DVD's and only issue combos at the same price. This would speed in the transition and would help the film companies sell more HD disks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Well, I guess I am one of the few who benefit from Combos. Over the weekend, I was at my folks house and I brought the Fountain and Letters From Iwo Jima home because they only have SD DVD (I tried to convince my folks to upgrade but they resisted even after I offered to buy them the upgrade for free). After finishing both films, my mom said she wanted to see Flags of Our Fathers because she really enjoyed Letters. But Flags was release only in HD DVD format, so I had to go out and get the SD version of Flags so we can watch it together. As I was getting the SD version, I thought to myself too bad Flags version wasn't combo like Letters and Fountain.

Anyways, just my personal experience regarding combos. They are convenient when you try to share the viewing with people who only has SD.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
To me Combos just seem like an excuse to get more $ out of HD DVD. Revenue from HD disc sales are small... but multiple the ~20,000 by an additional $10 for a product which costs only a few cents more than the non-combo

·
Registered
19,966 Posts
If the DVD Forum truly wanted to end what you guys call a "format war" the only thing they need to do is get the twin disc format (SD and HD DVD on one side of the disc) up and running, sell them for no more than one additional dollar and cease plain DVD production. This will kill a few birds with one stone (cry babies whining about combo discs, BD as the next gen format, and true mass market penetration and adoption) Toshiba is leading the way with cheap HD DVD players. It's time for the studios to step up to the plate.

Funny that they haven't already done this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.