AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.videobusiness.com/article...html?rssid=207

Quote:
Warner Home Video has filed a $10 million lawsuit against disc destruction firm IWMB, accusing the company of selling inventory the studio had intended to be destroyed.

The studio argues that IWMB broke an agreement to destroy the studio's excess title inventory, generally coming from retail returns of unsold product. Instead, IWMB has sold about 1 million Warner DVD and Blu-ray Disc units into retail channels at below market pricing, according to the suit filed July 28 in Los Angeles Superior Court. Stores have already sold to customers about 750,000 of those units.

One wonders what discs, and why, Warner is dumping in the trash. I can think of a few good candidates.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Warner probably needs to go through 100 pressings before a disc gets close to 1 manufacturing errors.
ROFLMAO

WTF will WHV do with $10 Mil.? That seems like small change for them.

I guess I know where those $6 copies of Nip Tuck and Smallville that were sold at Big Lots came from. I bought Nip Tuck myself on ebay for $5.

Why would they destroy them instead of just selling them at a discount. They lose money both ways right? Or release them as part of a blu-ray bundle.

And do they need a company to do it. Why not have interns stand out back of the warehouse and step on them. Hell I'll break em for free. I want the cases though.

·
Registered
588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/16950622

http://www.videobusiness.com/article...html?rssid=207

One wonders what discs, and why, Warner is dumping in the trash. I can think of a few good candidates.

All the ones with lossy audio. Then the one without the Oscar winning cut. Then the ones with terrible PQ. They are all in the parking lot with interns stomping on them. Before you know it, they need a parking lot the size of 10 football fields

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
$10M will be spent to release the holy grail edition of Speed Racer with lossless audio.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I don't know if that's fair DrCrawn. They're running a business and if no one want discs at the price they want to charge then it would be damaging if they cut costs. Eventually people would realise they could wait a few months and then get bargain discs.

·
Registered
22,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawn /forum/post/16955527

SO basically Warner is destroying discs to keep prices/values artificially high. That's lovely.

I doubt Warner is alone on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaj /forum/post/16955887

I don't know if that's fair DrCrawn. They're running a business and if no one want discs at the price they want to charge then it would be damaging if they cut costs. Eventually people would realise they could wait a few months and then get bargain discs.

True enough. On the other hand, if they lowered the initial prices, they would sell more, potentially see more profit from the release and wouldn't have to be destroying anything. It's also true that some of these titles should never have been released in the first place, but what's new.

·
Registered
786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaj /forum/post/16955887

People already know this...

·
Banned
3,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/16956138

I doubt Warner is alone on this.

Sony just signed a deal with Redbox so that Redbox would destroy their discs when they were done with them rather then dump them on the market for $5 - $7 each 4 weeks after the release of a new title.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound /forum/post/16977496

Sony just signed a deal with Redbox so that Redbox would destroy their discs when they were done with them rather then dump them on the market for $5 - $7 each 4 weeks after the release of a new title.

That's different than retail discs for sale that have been sent back to the studio for whatever reason. When I went to Big Lots to look at the selection - they were all brand new discs.

Netflix To Stop Selling Previously Viewed DVDs November 30th

http://www.hackingnetflix.com/2008/1...x-to-stop.html

·
Banned
3,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/16977789

That's different than retail discs for sale that have been sent back to the studio for whatever reason. When I went to Big Lots to look at the selection - they were all brand new discs.

Netflix To Stop Selling Previously Viewed DVDs November 30th

http://www.hackingnetflix.com/2008/1...x-to-stop.html

Netflix does a combination of destroying (or sending back) discs to studios and selling discs to wholesalers (who then sell them on the used market). They got out of the market of selling used discs to consumers as it is not their core business of providing a subscription service of movies by delivery (either by mail or streaming).

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpconvert /forum/post/16980008

So who wants a used sd version of a disc you can buy in hd, new or used.

Someone who doesn't care if it's in HD or SD...

I love HD but for a non-action, dialog heavy title or for some guilty pleasure SD will do just fine if it is cheap enough. Would you shell out $20+ for Plan 9 from outer space in HD? I know I wont, but at $4.99 in the bargain bin I'll buy it on DVD (and did!).

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferax /forum/post/16980302

Someone who doesn't care if it's in HD or SD...

I love HD but for a non-action, dialog heavy title or for some guilty pleasure SD will do just fine if it is cheap enough. Would you shell out $20+ for Plan 9 from outer space in HD? I know I wont, but at $4.99 in the bargain bin I'll buy it on DVD (and did!).

What you don't factor into your argument is that NF and RB aren't trying to sell copies of Plan 9. They are trying to sell recent releases that have run the rental course.

If you have a big display of some title like watchman that didn't sell, as a retailer you don't want it sitting in your backroom. You return it.

The studio already has enough to circulate so the smart thing is to destroy it.

If you hired someone to shred your important documents only to find they didn't and used the documents for their gain, at your expense, you might be looking at legal action. Nothing more, nothing less.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpconvert /forum/post/16980415

What you don't factor into your argument is that NF and RB aren't trying to sell copies of Plan 9. They are trying to sell recent releases that have run the rental course.

If you have a big display of some title like watchman that didn't sell, as a retailer you don't want it sitting in your backroom. You return it.

The studio already has enough to circulate so the smart thing is to destroy it.

If you hired someone to shred your important documents only to find they didn't and used the documents for their gain, at your expense, you might be looking at legal action. Nothing more, nothing less.

You asked: So who wants a used sd version of a disc you can buy in hd, new or used.

I gave an honest answer. Your question had no mention of recent release.

And even then I would still buy some on SD if they are cheap enough and are of a genre that won't suffer that much from not being in HD.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferax /forum/post/16980502

You asked: So who wants a used sd version of a disc you can buy in hd, new or used.

I gave an honest answer. Your question had no mention of recent release.

And even then I would still buy some on SD if they are cheap enough and are of a genre that won't suffer that much from not being in HD.

You are correct about the question and your answer.

·
Banned
3,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpconvert /forum/post/16980415

Even with recent releases, you are still looking at ~80% of the disc buying population purchasing it in SD.

The actual number may be higher when you factor in the used market (not sure how many rental BDs are hitting the market compared to rental DVDs hitting the market).

·
Registered
4,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawn /forum/post/16955527

SO basically Warner is destroying discs to keep prices/values artificially high. That's lovely.

No, selling the discs below wholesale brings disc prices artificially LOW. You have it backwards.

Also, WB can take a tax credit on destroyed discs. They have to pay taxes on inventory that's left unsold. It's pretty easy to understand why they destroy old stock that didn't move. And, WB isn't alone in this practice--not by a long shot.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.