AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd let people who hadn't seen my sig know that "Sweeney Todd - The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" is coming to Blu-ray on May 19! Since Warner owns the non-US rights, it's available for pre-order already in the UK, and pre-orders should start popping up elsewhere. Here's the Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sweeney-Todd.../dp/B0012YG7RS

Since Warner is region-free, this Blu-ray is playable anywhere, so you'll be able to enjoy yet another so-called "HD DVD exclusive" blockbuster.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlacklow /forum/post/13000799

I thought I'd let people who hadn't seen my sig know that "Sweeney Todd - The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" is coming to Blu-ray on May 19! Since Warner owns the non-US rights, it's available for pre-order already in the UK, and pre-orders should start popping up elsewhere. Here's the Amazon link:

Since Warner is region-free, this Blu-ray is playable anywhere, so you'll be able to enjoy yet another so-called "HD DVD exclusive" blockbuster.

wow, so if Paramount doesnt switch soon they be losing business on their movies to Warner, interesting. all those titles in your sig are likely must-haves, and must-imports at that if no u.s. release is available.

are their release dates for the other titles like Beowulf? i assume no dates for Ironman and Hulk since they not out yet in theaters.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hooray for region-free DVDs! There are so many of these movies that could get imported for cheap if only they didn't have those ridiculous region limitations.

----------

-Sume

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmisery /forum/post/13002038

Thats good news. I just hope Paramount just jump soon so its easier for all. Just in time for the Iron Man BR!!!

Concorde has the rights to "Iron Man" in Germany, so even if they're not neutral/BD exclusive by then, you'll be able to get it on Blu-ray.

·
Registered
73 Posts

Quote:

Thanks for the link. I couldn't click on "Pre-order" fast enough!

·
Registered
3,327 Posts

Quote:

How much is that US dollars?

·
Registered
3,736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori /forum/post/13006542

How much is that US dollars?

Ha.Ha. like $50 with shipping.

Wait. Our weak dollar isnt funny.

I loved this musical, but not for $50.

·
Registered
232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 /forum/post/13000845

wow, so if Paramount doesnt switch soon they be losing business on their movies to Warner, interesting. all those titles in your sig are likely must-haves, and must-imports at that if no u.s. release is available.

are their release dates for the other titles like Beowulf? i assume no dates for Ironman and Hulk since they not out yet in theaters.

Beowulf has already been announced by Warners for release in Australia on 9 April.

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/798298

·
Registered
795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrage /forum/post/13006557

Ha.Ha. like $50 with shipping.

Wait. Our weak dollar isnt funny.

I loved this musical, but not for $50.

I will pay $50 for this movie on BD if I have to. I thought it was absolutely incredible. That and Orphanage were the best movies I've seen in a long time. Sweeny Todd is a classic though that I could watch many times.

·
Registered
309 Posts

Quote:

This title is in PAL format, and I don't know if any set-top BD players sold in the USA can handle that. My Sammy BD-P1400 won't play anything but NTSC.

==

Dan

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by danshane /forum/post/13007294

This title is in PAL format, and I don't know if any set-top BD players sold in the USA can handle that. My Sammy BD-P1400 won't play anything but NTSC.

There is no PAL or NTSC with the hi-def formats. I've got several Blu-rays from England that work perfectly. The only problem would be regions, and as mentioned, this title won't be region-locked.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus /forum/post/13006530

Dont laugh, but whats the specs on this?

It looks like Warner UK is putting lossless audio (either PCM or TrueHD) on the titles that Paramount US is using lossy DD for.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlacklow /forum/post/13007337

There is no PAL or NTSC with the hi-def formats. I've got several Blu-rays from England that work perfectly. The only problem would be regions, and as mentioned, this title won't be region-locked.

You are correct but let's not forget to mention about the extras which sometimes is recorded in PAL format at 576i/p.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So? I can't think of any HDTV that's not capable of displaying PAL. Hell, my parent's 6-year-old WEGA SDTV could display PAL.

EDIT: The SD special features on my "Tudors: S1" and "The Rock" UK discs play just fine.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlacklow /forum/post/13007537

So? I can't think of any HDTV that's not capable of displaying PAL. Hell, my parent's 6-year-old WEGA SDTV could display PAL.

EDIT: The SD special features on my "Tudors: S1" and "The Rock" UK discs play just fine.

Sorry. Japan HDTVs doesn't recognize PAL.

No issues with the main feature. Better to check if E.U releases by Warner have the extras recorded in PAL. My U.K copy of Pan's Labyrinth has extras recorded in PAL which my PS3 refuses to play.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts