AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing I thought I should mention, because some people are saying they intend to get the $9 deal but activate a different IRD....

If you read the fine print, you will see that you have to activate the receiver that come with the $9 deal as a new DirecTV customer when they are installed or pay a fine.

There's nothing to keep you from calling back the next day and transferring the service to a different receiver or adding a second receiver to the account but you have to activate the one you got from Blockbuster FIRST as a new customer or you are going to be paying an extra $175 for it.

Seeing that I was the one who got a lot of people going on this deal, I thought it was important to make you all aware of this potential pitfall.

Now, I am off to Blockbuster to get my free movie. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
395 Posts
One other aspect of this deal is that its not available in all Blockbuster stores.

All the employees in stores I've talked to in Austin know nothing about the $9 deal. Each has a Radio shack inside the store; I'm assuming there is a deal between the two companies not to compete on that service as the Radio Shack offering is much less attractive.

Are there any other brick and mortar type places that are selling DirecTV that have a good deal? --Karl

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks for the update. I just had mine installed and did activate with the Hughes receiver as secondary to my DST-3000 and Select Choice and HBO ala carte.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Vic, that is what I am not so sure about. You see, your account is set up by access card number. When you get your first bill, you will see that.

The thing I am concerned about is whether the Blockbuster receiver has to be the first and primary receiver on the account. Maybe someone can answer this better.

I do know that with Dish Networks, it makes a BIG DIFFERENCE and people have been charged back by dealers because they activated the wrong receiver as the primary.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mongo:
One thing I thought I should mention, because some people are saying they intend to get the $9 deal but activate a different IRD....

If you read the fine print,...
What fine print? I went to a local BB and asked for the paperwork so I could read the fine print and they said there was no paperwork. They said they did it all via computer. I got the impression that they would ask questions of me and just type stuff in and then 'send' it to where-ever to get things rolling.

Nevertheless, I believe that I'll sign up today and I will activate the free receiver since it is the only one I'll have while waiting for the Zenith STB to be released.

-mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.