AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent some "quality time" with internals of this model and thought it would be a good idea to warn those attempting to stack these units...presumably for more brightness.

There is three (3) air intakes that in total assist in cooling the lamp assembly. The one of greatest concern in this situation is the postage stamp size one that is nearest the curser controls. It looks like a square pattern made of small round holes. If this unit is placed directly under or within a few inches of a second unit, the considerable heat from the lamp shield of the top unit, which will be directly over this vent, will be pulled into the bottom unit.

The primary risk is significant shortening of the bulb life and the exhaust fan of the bottom unit. Also, since this vent and the airflow thru it are behind the temperature sensor, the PJ has no idea that it's lamp assembly could be running too hot.

Of course, it would be OK to stack these units if one was table/floor mounted and the other ceiling mounted.

FWIW,

Thumper

BTW, the build quality of these little buggers is excellent. Hats off to the NEC engineers and assembly people.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Thumper:
There is three (3) air intakes that in total assist in cooling the lamp assembly.
Could you go into more detail for those of us who are considering building hushboxes for the LT150? Besides the square holed vent you mention, there is an intake adjacent to the exhaust fan port, a series of slots on the front next to the lens, another few slots on the bottom near the lens, slots in the lamp cover, and what appears to be the major air intake on the side opposite from the exhaust fans.

Are all of these vents intakes? Which are involved in cooling the lamp assembly, and which are for cooling other parts of the unit?

I'm trying to figure out the best airflow path, and how many CFM I need to push thru the box. From what I can tell the LT150's fans are probably rated for no more than 8..10CFM each, based on their size and what I could find at Nidec's web site. Any advise or comments would be welcome.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ol'Dave,

The slots next to the exhaust plate (where the two fans are) is a low volume intake for the power supply assembly which is located in the front of the unit. The right half of the main intake (opposite the exhaust) cools items in the following order: DMD heatsink, DMD formatter board and main I/O & processing board. The left half of the intake cools in the following order: DMD chamber, color wheel, lamp assembly heat sensor and lastly the lamp assembly.

The postage size intake on top provides critical air to the base of the lamp assembly at the bulb/reflector junction and is beyond the lamp heat sensor.

BTW, the unit's case is entirely metal with the exception of the exhaust vent piece and the lamp cover piece which are high temp plastic (presumbaly to prevent conductive handling burns).

With the compactness and design of these units, cooling is more critical than ever before. If attaching an exhaust hose/vent (my recommendation) make sure it is sealed well around the exhaust plate piece so air does not recirculate to the adjacent power supply intake.

If one is going to stack these puppies, try to get some forced airflow between the two chassis to keep the heat of the upper unit's lamp assembly from the lower unit's intake (referenced in table-top orientation)

Thumper

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.