AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st off, I think this is a fastastic knowledge base and conversation of a lot of very intelligent and innovative enthusiasts. I really appreciate all the posts I've learned from.

I recently bought an X1 and I'm about to move into a new home. I'll have many other questions, but for now I need advice on connecting the X1 (looking into a ceiling mount) to the Sony B55 DTV unit, which will be aprox 15-25' away after running cable up through the attic and down and out a wall.

I've read so much I'm sort of confused on the use of the Svideo/Component and Vesa/component adapters and if they have a proper place in my scheme. For now I will be using a small dish and therefore It's my understanding that I can't receive HDTV signals, however I may upgrade later. So plain ole digital DTV to the X1 is what I'm connecting. I'll also have a 57" sony RPTV that I guess I'll have to swap cables back and forth unless I want to use Composite (?? this sound right?)

Any advice is much appreciaited. Let me know what info I left out. Thanks.

oops. forgot a very important part to the layout. I need to also run the ceiling mounted X1 off my laptop.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The SAT-B55 only has s-video and composite connections on the back which are compatible with the X1, so the adapters you are talking about won't work. A DVD player or HD receiver would use the component adapters. Have you set up and played around with your X1 and DirecTV system yet? I have been demoing the X1 for a couple of days with my DirecTiVo, and I am finding that the composite connection looks better to me than s-video. The s-video magnifies the compression artifacts from DirecTV, while the component smooths the picture out and gives me a much more "filmlike" quality Perhaps I have not found the correct s-video settings yet to compensate, but I have been trying everything. Just curious what you have found (if your system is up yet)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. ;)

Curious about the composite looking better. Hmm.. I haven't set everything up yet so I don't have anything to contribute yet, however I'm definately curious as to others opinion on this.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Under ideal circumstances, composite should not look better than Y/C (or S-video). I don't have an X1, so I can't comment directly, but I have both an Infocus LP260 and a Dell 2100MP, and I am absolutely certain that with a good source, composite is 'worse' than S-Video. What you usually see when comparing side by side is the composite signal will have a fuzz around each odd pixel compared to the S-Video signal, as well as a distinct lack of color if you remove the brightness from the equation (In other words, a bright yellow is less yellow than a medium yellow when viewing on composite as compared to Y/C).

As per the comment about S-Video magnifying the compression artifacts from DTV... I will agree that DTV has massive compression issues, and they over compress most of their channels, but the blockiness is so evident that the slight decrease in picture quality you get by using composite over S-Video isn't enough to get a 'filmlike' quality... not by a long shot (unless the composite wire has interference, in which case the picture IMO would be crap anyway)...

As one last side note, the DirecTivo actually has worse visible compression artifacts compared to standard DTV receivers, I've done side by side comparisons... It's almost like the DirecTivo is not decompressing the signal as well... I don't get it... but now I'm getting off topic... ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.