AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would let you know that when you see a 3 chip DLP for sale on the internet, you should be careful. If the projector is supposed to work, but the bulb is dead, you have to ask yourself, if what is really wrong is that the lamp ballast aka power supply, is dead. If the lamp ballast is dead, the projector could still turn on, but the bulb won't ignite. That could lead someone to believe the projector is A-OK, when in reality it needs a new lamp ballast, not a new bulb. That new ballast can cost anywhere from $2,000 to $5,000 and more. Beware.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Thanks for the info, Larry.

But I have to ask, in all seriousness, what could be in that power supply to make it cost $5000? The 250w power supply in my P3 computer has to provide all sorts of voltages to the various components in my PC, powering fans, hard drives, chips, led's, etc. And it cost me $40.

I'm sure that the power supply in the DLP has similar, though more demanding, tasks. But 4960-more-dollars-demanding?

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Rick,

That is obscene isn't it. I'm sure the reason is

simply that a million PC power supplies made by

dozens of competing companies are sold each year.

Whereas the one outfit producing that ballast is lucky to sell a couple dozen. But none of that matters. It's

still obscene to charge five grand for a lousy lamp

ballast.

One thing I learned early on is that it pays to try to accumulate some projector carcasses of the same type

you're using. I'll tell you an interesting story about

just that. My friend who got me into HT started by

buying a surplus 9" Ampro CRT projector. He bought the

thing for 75 bucks and then discovered the high voltage power supply was out on it. He calls Ampro (they were

still in business then) and they quoted him $1500 for

the one part. So he said to heck with it and threw

the projector in the garage and got him another one.

About a year later we both decided to attend the Ampro

bankruptcy auction. On the morning of the auction we

showed up real early and were the only ones there. We

drove around to the back of the warehouse and spotted some

dumpsters. Out of curiosity we took a look see and among

much other stuff one of the dumpsters had 30 or 40 of

those same Spellman HV power supplies that they quoted

him $1500 for. Just lying there in the garbage.

We got em and tested them over time and about half of them were good. They couldn't get any $1500 sucker sales so they just tossed em. Go figure.

Bob Wood

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rick and bob,

Physically, this is more complicated than a PC power supply. It's really a kind of mini lamp house inside the unit. That doesn't justify the absurd asking price for replacement parts, though. I saw that there was a 3 chip DLP for sale on ebay (it went unsold becuase the reserve wasn't met), but it sounded to me like it might be a unit with a dead lamp ballast. I don't know that was the case, but it sounded like it could be. When you buy off ebay, it's not like buying from a known brick and mortar dealer. Especially if credit cards aren't involved. Be careful and skeptical when buying from an auction.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Larry,

It's a scary proposition. As you know I derive much

of my income as an eBay seller. I'm now going to confess something to you (they say that's good for the soul).

I used to defend eBay. I guess I did so because it's what pays my bills. But also I sincerely believed that

it got a bad rap and that bad rap was rubbing off on all of us who tried our best to do eBay the right way.

Frankly my whole attitude then was derived from being a seller. I didn't buy much so really was not in a position to judge it from that perspective.

Then three or four months ago I got heavy into buying items

on eBay to add to my collection of animated advertising

signs. I did not do it for long. Why? Because just about

everything I bought was misrepresented. Reminded me of

what a sage old antique dealer told me years ago about

buying collectibles by mail order. He said "you better ask

21 questions because if you stop at 20 you're going to

get burned". Most of these eBay sellers I dealt with

had made an art of writing a description with one thing

in mind. That was how to cover their butts. Needless

to say I'm not interested in doing much eBay buying anymore.

And now when I see disparaging things said about eBay I just

don't have it in me to try to be an eBay defender any longer.

I'm still selling and trying to use the Golden Rule when

I do. And I'm sure there are many thousands of others

who use eBay this way too. But I would be kidding myself to ignore the fact that an equal number of snakes, flim-flam artists and assorted other vermin have found a home on eBay too.

Bob

[This message has been edited by RobertWood (edited 06-03-2001).]

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bob,

I'm sorry to hear you've been ripped off. Some ebayers are the pits, others are exemplary. It's hard to judge who will be what, but the one thing I rely on, is feedback. Best case scenario is someone with 300+ positives and 1 or 2 negatives, along with being on ebay for more than 6 months. I like ebay a lot for items under $50. But for more expensive items it can get very nerve wracking. Also, as you point out, there are a group of people who will exploit ebay to flat out steal from people. Well, for what it's worth, I'd buy from you, Bob. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
JVC NX7 Projector, Draper 132" (2.35:1) Techvision XT 1300x, Panasonic DP-UB420, Zidoo Z9x, Zappit
1,642 Posts
Hi Larry & Bob,

Thanks for the cautionary words. About 18 months ago, I, too, took the e-bay plunge and bought a Sharp LCD projector. When it arrived, it wouldn't reproduce a picture. Dealing with the seller and FedEx took nearly 4 months. It got ugly. In the end I "only" lost about $400 in shipping and escrow charges.

The good news: I bought a Davis DL-S8 instead for a dealer and have been very satisfied (both with the dealer and the product).

Yes, e-bay can be great...but there's nothing like an authorized dealer (preferably a 'brick & mortar') if you have questions or problems. And you WILL have, at the least, questions.

Good Viewing,

John G

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi John,

It's a shame that unscrupulous people have taken hold on ebay. It must have been really stressful trying to get your money back. I guess I'm lucky so far in buying stuff on ebay. I haven't been ripped off yet. I have passed on auctions where the seller had so many negatives I felt uncomfortable, or was so new that I felt I couldn't gauge their trustworthiness. When an auction comes along with a potentially mind blowing bargain, it's tough to not bid, though.

I think it would be good if ebay were to index the negative feedback of buyers and sellers. This way, you can see all the complaints of others and whether or nor there is a common problem that seems to run through the comments. Along with that, it would be good to be able to see what rating the person who gave the negative feedback, got from the other person. Sometimes, negative comments are just revenge from the real offender. You can do this already, but the way they have it now requires too much searching.

Considering how nerve wracking it can be to buy something expensive through an auction and worry if you'll be ripped off or be sold a dud, I'm going to stick with the businesses I know and trust. But when that bargain whopper comes along, it's tough to stay on the sidelines. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Here's one for you. About one month ago, there where 3 E-Home EPS 1024 units up for grabs on E-bay. I convinced a riend to buy them. How could he go wrong? Well, it's gotten ugly. one looks like it was tiored in a barn,and the other two have to be completely re-built. Thankfully for him, I'm up to the task. i am down to mix'n and match'n LCD and prism block assemblies and optics. i can barely maek one machine out of the three, because some hack has handled them. ruined all three of them. of course, the advert said they where in much better shape. I have put in work a tech would NEVER do so far, and I ain't done yet. If I was charging for it, it would easily be $1k in labour. But, I said I would do it, and wouldn't desert someone because it was uncomfortable for me to keep my word. Too bad, thats the way it goes. I feel like I am in school again. Lots of repititious tasks, with no positive outcome, under extreme duress, and no personal benifit. Great.

I case you are wondering what i am doing, i am aligning 3 LCD panels against one another.. at 1024x768. in a system that was not designed to EVER b calibrated, and cannot easily be. The panels have to be aligned in 3 axis! against each other! Breathing on them causes them to misalign. Imagine an alignement of 1024 lines.. and it has to be a fraction of that one line, to get perfection.. and it is 1024 lines across a space 1.25" high.... it IS doable, just very frustrating.

------------------

goosystems.com

Ken Hotte

[email protected]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.