AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replay's process is a bad joke. I have no animosity toward Indian nationals, but they just can't seem to do the job.

Can anyone provide instructions on how to handle a warranty return domestically?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
They just don't hand out RMAs. They have to verify the need. Call earlier and get Tx instead of India. What's wrong with it?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by adone36
They just don't hand out RMAs. They have to verify the need. Call earlier and get Tx instead of India. What's wrong with it?
Two month old (?) replay 5040.

Simple problem - absolutely dead ethernet port. No lights or activity. Everything else functions normally. Our other identical replay functions perfectly when attached to the same ethernet port through the same cable. Classic early life failure.

RMA issuance should have been a simple process - but it hasn't.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Other than being lightning fried, I've never seen a bad 5k nic. Did you try setting it to modem, then unplugging and restarting with ne cable attached and switching back? There was a procedure for reactivating "dead" ethernet connection somewhere here. Have you searched for similar problems?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had similar issue and I called India, I was damn sure I have a bad Ethernet port as there was no link light. The guy wanted me to try this and that and this and what not. To my wonder it worked. My ISP requires me to put a cross over cable to Linux devices, this is the explanation that I got. Thanks to that guy called Vish, he knows everything about replay. You better talk to him.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Your 'ISP' requires you?!..... :D :D They must have a different polarity Internet than all the other ISPs... that's a great line!

Without details on how your network is set up, we can't tell why you'd need a crossover for your RTV and not anything else. If you only have the one device (one RTV) connected to your cable modem/DSL modem, then, yeah, it may need a crossover.

But the 'ISP' statement is one I need to remember. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am not aware of the exact line that was used by that agent but yes the cross over cable worked. I am not a guy much into networking,.:confused: , so I do not remember the correct wordings and I cannot debate on the same. I do have my replay plugged directly to my cable modem.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Quote:
I do have my replay plugged directly to my cable modem.
generally, you WILL need a crossover cable in this situation. it is possible replay has used a couple of different versions of network IC's in the various boxes, some network chipsets now will detect the need for a crossover cable and automatically adjust, hence one replay worked and one didn't.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
As for the 'dead' NIC, I've seen (on my own box) strange things cured by the 'unplug *everything*, hit power several times, wait 15 minutes (for me it was overnight)'. Presto, good as new.

Always a good last resort before messing with India's 'fixes' (sorry, but I agree on the agility of those folks...).

You don't want to hear what the box was doing before I resorted to this...

(On the crossover cable, yeah, many devices think they are a 'device', not a 'hub', so when you connect them to an RTV ( a device) you need the crossover to have it work.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.