AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been able to narrow my choices for a new projector down to the Panasonic PT-AE8000U and the Epson 5030UB and, through a lot of research (and with some new discounts on price) I've decided to go with the Panny. However, when I called to order it I asked about the warranties and the guy told me that, while the same in terms, Epson's is far more consumer friendly. While Epson sends you a replacement unit, Panasonic apparently requires that you return the unit to them (is it at least pre paid?) and then they diagnose the problem and fix it and you go on without a projector for however long that takes. Through my experience I give it a 50/50 chance that I'll be calling upon the warranty at some point in the two years it's offered and, while the 2000 hour limit in the Panny warranty likely won't affect me (I'm not a high volume watcher), this difference in warranty is a major concern to me.

And to make it so that I can waffle back and forth a little longer, a refurbished Epson 5030UB from an authorized seller has come down to within $100 of the Panny (both with full warranties and both prices TO MOVE) and it's making me re-think my decision. Does anyone have any experience with Panasonic's warranty process and can advise whether it is best to avoid or not worry about it?

Thanks guys. I'm trying to order today.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Unless you need the power zoom/shift I would go with Epson for that little price difference. If going with a 2:35 screen without an A lens than the Panasonic is a must. The Panny's appear to be more reliable than the Epsons but you can't beat the warranty even though you are more likely to need it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts