AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its probably around here somewhere but i cant seem to find it. The guy at CC told me if i buy my set at Amazon then it voids Samsungs warranty. Is this true? ALso if i do purchase my TV at CC should i get the extended warranty on it or is that a waste of $$? Thanks. Also where are some guidelines for breaking in my new 5054? Ive already borrowed my buddys avia guide for settings.

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofighters /forum/post/0

I know its probably around here somewhere but i cant seem to find it. The guy at CC told me if i buy my set at Amazon then it voids Samsungs warranty. Is this true? ALso if i do purchase my TV at CC should i get the extended warranty on it or is that a waste of $$? Thanks. Also where are some guidelines for breaking in my new 5054? Ive already borrowed my buddys avia guide for settings.

I've never heard of such a thing in regards to a Samsung - sounds like a scare tactic from a lying CC employee.

Call Samsung and get an official answer though . . . . . and get the name of the person you spoke with and note the date and time of the conversation
Or better yet, email them so you have their answer documented.

If you get an extended warranty, don't buy it at the store you get the TV from - buy it from someone like Cleveland Plasma or TapeworksTexas etc for a LOT less.

·
Registered
104 Posts
if you go to the samsung's web page and click on buy from online retailer, it list Amazon as one of the retailers selling the tv. Since it's listed as a retailer you would assume that they're an authorized dealer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So from i what i have read so far, I should go ahead i purchase my new TV through amazon and get an extended warranty through someone else. Has anyone else bought there TV through amazon and could offer some advice. ALso another salesmen told me that the Samsung 5054 isnt a true HDTV is this true? Thanks.

·
Vendor
34,014 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
What the salesman was possibly trying to get at was that if you by through Amazon and the TV is defective (non shipping related defect) then you might have to go through Samsung directly to have it fixed vs being able to just return the thing if you had bought it from Bestbuy for example.

I'm not sure what Amazon's 30 day return/replacement policy is. Either way I have a 5054 and had the exact same issue (different supplier). TV broke down had to go through Samsung, took them two weeks to fix the thing but its up and running now. I'm always of the attitude that if something is defective it will die during the first could of years and extended warranties are a waste of money.

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed B. 1979 /forum/post/0

I'm always of the attitude that if something is defective it will die during the first could of years and extended warranties are a waste of money.

But then there are many people like myself, who have benefitted greatly from having an EW on a few select expensive electronics that ultimately failed. I'm about $600 ahead after a Sony TV and a Sony VCR failed well out of warranty and were repaired under the EW. I don't have warranties on any of my other home electronics but for things that are expensive to repair, i like to have insurance. I'd rather pay a few hundred dollars early in the TV's life and risk wasting it than pay a $500-$1,500 repair bill in the event of a catastrophic failure during the next 3 years after the factory warranty expires. That's all an EW is - cheap insurance. Some people believe in it, while others consider it a waste of money.

·
Registered
42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofighters /forum/post/0

So from i what i have read so far, I should go ahead i purchase my new TV through amazon and get an extended warranty through someone else. Has anyone else bought there TV through amazon and could offer some advice. ALso another salesmen told me that the Samsung 5054 isnt a true HDTV is this true? Thanks.

I bought through Amazon (as have many others on here) and had no problems. Great price, on-time shipping, tv arrived in good condition. I also bought an extended warranty through Tapeworks Texas for cheap. As for the TV not being "true HDTV," who is this guy? Can it display 720 lines? Yup...OK, it's HD. It's true that it's not 1080p capable, but that doesn't make it any less HD than any other TV.

Anywya, there are several discussions going on about this set...I suggest you find them (usually on the first page here) and jump in!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.