AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know how I can offer cost effective warranty on a used projector? A warranty that can be good for the customer and not break the bank. Should it be 30 day limited or unconditional money back? Should there be disclaimer language for misuse? Who pays for shipping if it returned and RMA policy? I would like to here from Forum Menbers who are in the sale of used projector business. Please PM me if you have samples of contract language to share.

Thank You Forum Menbers.

Al

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Make note of all the serial numbers of individual components of the pj. IE crt tubes. lenses, boards. Take digital photos of the pj in and out. I would not go too far out on a limb here. How about a 30 day life span guarantee at the most? Maybe a third party warranty like with a used car?

·
Registered
130 Posts
AL,

Sales on new and used projectors have different types of warranty and also local sales and internet sales are different.Local used projectors sale are easier to give any warranty as long as you know if you set the projector's up for the customers at their houses.If they are doing the set up and adjustment themselves ,they are taking their own risk.You can give them 30 days warranty on parts.if the parts didn't break from any surge or others.if you think the problem caused by the customer the projector is not covered from the warranty.

Internet sales are definitely no warranty just give them the satisfaction that the projector will arrive to their houses not dead.if it's damage the insurance you paid for the shiping will cover any claims.It's tough in this business.so it's up to you to make the warranties for your customers and whats best to satisfy them.They are buying a used projector that is preaty cheap and they should consider taking risks on buying the projectors.tell them to do their homework before buying any projectors that fits in their needs of HOMETHEATER applications.Hope this help a bit.KC>>>

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Short of getting outright ripped off by one customer last year, I have had a whole bunch of honest people that buy the projectors.

eBay or not, it seems that you can get a 'feel' from the customer or not whether they are legit, are tech savvy to a degree (If not, they maybe should not buy a CRT projector unless a CRT type guy is nearby), or whether they are going to rip you off.

As for a warranty, there's one well known company out there that is offering a 1 year warranty on used projectors, but... their prices are about $1000.00 more per unit than mine.

I'm thinking of offering a warranty like that as an option on my projectors, since it would be profitable for me and of value to the customer. I don't think too many people will take me up on it though...

Curt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.