AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our department secretary has a Sony KDL-46XBR4 and a 5 year warranty via RepairMaster. The screen recently began having problems and they want to replace it for her instead of fixing it. The model they want to give he is a Samsung LN46B630. Is that a fair trade? If not what model sony would be comparable.

Thanks

Will

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why would you say that. I am feeling i will need to give them specifics to convince them of what a comparable model would be.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
The B750 models are rated the best CCFL LCDs out there currently. I bought a B650 and then got the urge to get a B750 instead and when I compared them side by side the B750 was pretty much the same thing as my B650. The B630 doesn't have the ultra clear panel (which some like because it adds extra pop/contrast to the picture but some do not like it because it will show screen glare). Having said that the trade seems fair to me. The black levels on her XBR4 were horrid!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 /forum/post/16936852

The B750 models are rated the best CCFL LCDs out there currently. I bought a B650 and then got the urge to get a B750 instead and when I compared them side by side the B750 was pretty much the same thing as my B650. The B630 doesn't have the ultra clear panel (which some like because it adds extra pop/contrast to the picture but some do not like it because it will show screen glare). Having said that the trade seems fair to me. The black levels on her XBR4 were horrid!

From what i read the 630 has a matte and the 650 has a glossy screen so depending on room conditions that could be a good or a bad thing.

THanks for the responses.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
The Samsung is rated higher than the current XBRs never mind the lesser Sony's!

·
Banned
407 Posts
A little overstated man. I'd say the B750 and B650 are the only Samsung models that beat the XBR9, but only on a tad. Nevermind the 950 and the XBR8, that's a whole different level.

@Flyinace2000: Everyone shouldn't expect much reciprocation...

·
Registered
4,659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 /forum/post/16937649

His question was if it's a fair deal to replace an XBR4 with a B630 and not how an XBR8 or an A950 compares to the B630.

Right. I think they're fairly similar. The XBR4 was a semi-matte display, which the 630 is as well. Personally, I'd take just about ANY LCD over an XBR4, which had the worst smearing and dark-scene handling of any LCD I've ever tested. But I digress...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:

His question was if it's a fair deal to replace an XBR4 with a B630 and not how an XBR8 or an A950 compares to the B630.

Right, and if it isn't a fair trade, then what model would be.

Thanks all!

-Will

·
Banned
407 Posts

Quote:

-.- I never tried to compare it with those LED models. Yes I mentioned them, but really... just read it thoroughly.

I'll say the B650 will be much better than the B630. XBR4, regardless from it's smearing was still one of the highest rated televisions in the market back then, and a lot of people bought it. It's a very nice television, and I think it's PQ is still comparable to many models today.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Nice Deal...Compare to price..its a nice deal....

·
Registered
497 Posts
well ask them a sony W5100 has better image processing then the samsung b650.the sony also is better suited for gaming due to significanly lesser input lag.

i think a more fair replacment should be the z5100 its motionflow is again superior to the amp in the samsung b750.so is its sound quality way much better then the samsung.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Sound quality of the units is an important factor if the set's internal speakers will be used at all. Samsung does have speakers, but I don't think anybody would want to listen to them.

Sony does better with the sound on their sets.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the opinions. Keep in mind the TV isn't mine, but that doesn't mean i don't care. i am also looking for the most hassle free way to resolve the situation. My secretary and her family are not gamers. They just watch the TV. So input lag isn't something we need to worry about. If the Samsung is comparable to replace the 13 month old XBR4 then that is good. If there is something glaringly wrong with the exchange i will help her push for a different model.

·
Registered
497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinace2000 /forum/post/16940216

Thanks for the opinions. Keep in mind the TV isn't mine, but that doesn't mean i don't care. i am also looking for the most hassle free way to resolve the situation. My secretary and her family are not gamers. They just watch the TV. So input lag isn't something we need to worry about. If the Samsung is comparable to replace the 13 month old XBR4 then that is good. If there is something glaringly wrong with the exchange i will help her push for a different model.

according to reviews the BE3 in W5100 does slightly better in normal SD viewing, its also slightly better in of axis viewing compared to the samsung B650.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Sony used to be clearly known for superior TVs over the competition but that's not the case anymore. And IMO the XBR badge isn't what it used to be. Sony should leave the XBR badge for models like the XBR8s which are local dimming.

If she wants a glossy TV she could request a B650. It will give her better contrast but this screen will also cause screen glare.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts