AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DVArchive is working so well for me that I am wondering why anyone would bother opening their 5040 units to install a larger drive?

It is much easier to just drop a 120Gb (which I got from CC for $70 after rebates, supposedly) drive in my computer and just set up the stuff I want to keep to be backed up at 4am.

Have folks had problems with streaming the stuff over their network to play back on their ReplayTV that I have not read about? I have used DVArchive for small stuff before getting this new drive, and it worked great for me.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I agree that DVArchive is an awesome and indispensable tool. But there are a couple reasons why I chose to void the warranty and put a 120GB drive in my 5040 instead of just using DVArchive to stream back to the Replay.

1. My 5040 is located where it is too difficult to get CAT5 run, so it is connected using a WET11 801.11b Ethernet bridge. This connection is too slow to stream shows recorded in anything higher than standard and even at standard I sometimes get stuttering.

2. DVArchive adds a layer of complexity that my wife would not be willing to deal with. The PC would have to be on with DVArchive running 24/7. Plus, many times she is watching a recorded show and I am tinkering with my PC installing or uninstalling software or hardware that would require rebooting or turning off the PC.

At some point in the future, wireless connections will become much faster and I may setup a PC as a server on my network that runs 24/7. But until then, it was much easier to just increase the storage on my Replay unit and risk the warranty.

But I am still watching for a hot deal on a large drive for my PC specifically to use for downloading shows from the Replay. I can archive my shows using DVArchive and let my wife use the storage on the Replay, keeping everyone happy.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Let's also not forget that as great as DVA is (kudos to Gerry) - it may break with any new software release from SB/D&M... ya never know when it's going to go...

·
Registered
483 Posts
Well If/When it breaks, you can always burn those MPEG's to DVD (or SVCD if you don't have a dvd burner, but if you can afford replay and large hard drives for your PC as storage, you can afford a burner) and then take a large drive out of your PC and stuff it in the replay...

I went for both solutions, put a 200gb in the replay and have several 80's in the PC in a raid for storage. Can record tons and tons at medium or high quality and then only offload the stuff I want to keep for future viewing.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yep. I did both as well. Just finished upgrading one of my 4 replays to a 200gb (the others are all 4080's) and have a raid-5 (5x200gb) on my pc. Tons & tons. Course there's no such thing as a "backup" with that much storage....

·
Registered
17 Posts
How were you folks able to install the new larger drives AFTER using your RTV's? I just bought a 5060 yesterday and didn't want to void the warranty since I knew I was going to use DVArchive.

Did you download a virgin image? I would like to get one for the 5060 if possible.

I will most likely upgrade the disk sometime in the future.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
You can obtain virgin images from Mikeyboy's FTP site (search for a recent post by him and look in his signature/profile for the link).

Also, assuming you aren't experiencing any problems with your current drive if and when you decide to upgrade, you can just copy over the image from it to the new drive using RTVPatch. As a benefit, this would also preserve all your settings and recording schedule (though not the recordings themselves unless you opt to copy the MPEG partition, which isn't recommended but has been done w/o problem by many).

·
Registered
83 Posts
In my case, I used one of MikeyBoys's images. My RTV drive had crashed (inifinte rebooting!) and so I had to re-image it anyway.I used RTV_Extract to pull off all the stuff I had recorded, and imported it into DVArchive, then re-imaged the new 200gb. It's been working GREAT! Makes the whole RTV more responsive and nicer to use.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not quite true about the cash Cyrl. DVD burner still runs around $350 and the software to handle the mpeg2's seems to be a bit pricey as well. A copy of Womble runs $250 so I would be looking at another $600 just to get the Replay mpegs onto optical media. Or I could try to do it cheap and use a string of cheaper software tools, but so many people report so many problems with it that it is not worth the bother to me.

So no DVDs at the moment. I do have a CDR, though, and have burned a VCD with Ulead DMF2. It could handle the standard quality replay input, but would choke when I tried to make some commercial edits, so I did not buy that one either.

DVArchive is working great for me so far. The big thing I wanted to archive were episodes of Good Eats. My favorite show on TV. I have noticed skipping right at the beginning of playback on the ReplayTV streaming from DVArchive, but if I pause it for a few seconds to let it catch up, the skipping stops.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Eudmin
Not quite true about the cash Cyrl. DVD burner still runs around $350 and the software to handle the mpeg2's seems to be a bit pricey as well.
Burners have come down... We bought a Memorex 4x DVD burner at CompUSA recently for $200 (AR). It includes Intervideo's WinDVD Creator and Nero Express. I've burned a few DVDs with no real problem (no coasters yet). My beef with the software is that it reencodes no matter what, and it crashes occasionally (oh, and the 15 second always on top splash screen of some anorexic girl with goofy clothes and hair).

Mostly I don't know what I'm doing, but it seems to work. I just let it run and burn overnight.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Geekette, with WinDVD Creator can you successfully edit out the commercials? I don't care about frame-accurate and all of that. I would just want to shorten the Replay MPG's to fit more on the DVD.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Eudmin
Geekette, with WinDVD Creator can you successfully edit out the commercials? I don't care about frame-accurate and all of that. I would just want to shorten the Replay MPG's to fit more on the DVD.
Absolutely, no problem. If you want to try it, they have a demo http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/Produc...WinDVDCreator.

Their demo is geared toward authoring your own home movies, but it'll take any mpg the Replay throws at it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.