AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
‘Warrior Nun’: Sylvia De Fanti Cast In Netflix Drama Series

EXCLUSIVE: Sylvia De Fanti (Medici, The Best Offer) is set for a key series-regular role opposite Alba Baptista in Netflix’s upcoming drama series Warrior Nun, inspired by the manga novels, from creator/executive producer Simon Barry (Ghost Wars, Continuum).

Written by Barry, Warrior Nun revolves around Ava (Baptista), a 19-year-old woman who wakes up in a morgue with a new lease on life and a divine artifact embedded in her back. She discovers she is now part of an ancient order that has been tasked with fighting demons on Earth, and powerful forces representing both heaven and hell want to find and control her.

De Fanti will play Mother Superion, responsible for training the Warrior Nuns, and while she might not give the orders, she’s the one who really runs the place. Having witnessed horrors as a child, she’s burdened with the guilt of the things she did and didn’t do while just trying to survive.

Barry also serves as showrunner and executive produces with Stephen Hegyes (White Noise, 50 Dead Men Walking). Amy Berg (Counterpart, Da Vinci’s Demons) is consulting producer. Terri Hughes Burton (The 100, Eureka) is co-executive producer.

De Fanti most recently appeared on Rai’s Medici series and in Giuseppe Tornatore’s feature The Best Offer. She’s repped by manager Stacey Castro and attorney Chad M. Christopher of Stone, Genow, Smelkinson, Binder & Christopher.

https://deadline.com/2019/04/warrior-nun-sylvia-de-fanti-cast-netflix-drama-series-1202586234/

·
Registered
14,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks promising. I really enjoyed Simon Barry's "Continuum."
Continuum was awesome! I still fondly remember how surprised I was when she appeared in the past and was using her radio and the kid answered. I still remember being like WTF!?

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
This looks like a campy mess for which I am all in. I hope it doesn't pull a CW and take itself too seriously. Netflix is smart enough to let the showrunners and the audience be in on the joke. I will binge this with a six-pack of beer or a bottle of wine and yell, "Yeah!" over and over at the screen.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
This looks like a campy mess for which I am all in. I hope it doesn't pull a CW and take itself too seriously. Netflix is smart enough to let the showrunners and the audience be in on the joke. I will binge this with a six-pack of beer or a bottle of wine and yell, "Yeah!" over and over at the screen.
I take it you may have already watched THE ORDER on Neftlix? The trailer for the THE ORDER was so serious. I must admit that when I started watching it and realized they were okay with making fun of themselves and the genre, it made it all the more enjoyable. WARRIOR NUN definitely looks like it will have fun making fun of itself from time to time. Thumbs UP!!

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
I've watched a few of these eps. Think of every show where you have a "chosen one" who has to come to terms with their "gift." Then make that "chosen one" a complete as$hat with a horrible voice over and make the coming to terms with their gift last at least 7 eps of the 10 show season. Make the "chosen one" someone who will bail out on everyone and allow others to die for them and you have this show so far.

If you like that, you'll love this show. I'm fracking torturing myself by watching it. At the very least, I am ff'ding through much of the eps waiting for the inevitable ok, I accept my fate moment. The rest of it is laughably bad.

·
Registered
14,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We finished the whole thing. Thought it was good, not great, not horrible, but glad we watched it. Very stereotypical show with a young person coming into super powers.

The positives - The special effects are outstanding. Her abilities look great, the main demon creature looks fantastic.
I think the main character plays the part well (despite the bad script she is handed sometimes), never saw her before that I can recall, even after looking at her IMDB.
Some good action scenes choreographed well.
VERY interesting backstory and mythology they are developing. That is probably more enjoyable than some of the characters.
Loved all the twists at the end.

The bad - Some episodes really drag, especially in the middle. Just so slow it was painful at times. Little to much of the same thing each episode (oh no, I can't take it, I have to run away).
LOTS of unanswered questions.

Now the rest is in spoilers since it has to do with the end.

They left soooo much unanswered. What was that main demon and where is it from? Is it from another dimension? Actually sent by heaven? What is the halo exactly, they said the angel was actually the devil and he was being chased by the demon so not the devil really?

What powers does the new Nun have after being stabbed by the demon? Are they the same as Ava's? Does she have a halo in her (was hard to tell).

Where does the portal lead? The kid stepped through, to where?

Just so many unanswered questions.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
I found it entertaining and worth the watch, IMHO, just get your popcorn and leave your brain at the door. Atmos and video were good, not great like "Hamilton". However, I agree it was a little slow at times.

I'm waiting for the "Old Guard" this Friday with Charlize Theron, she plays the part in action films very well.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Reactions: WilliamR and cyfman

·
Registered
18,193 Posts
I've watched a few of these eps. Think of every show where you have a "chosen one" who has to come to terms with their "gift." Then make that "chosen one" a complete as$hat with a horrible voice over and make the coming to terms with their gift last at least 7 eps of the 10 show season. Make the "chosen one" someone who will bail out on everyone and allow others to die for them and you have this show so far.

If you like that, you'll love this show. I'm fracking torturing myself by watching it. At the very least, I am ff'ding through much of the eps waiting for the inevitable ok, I accept my fate moment. The rest of it is laughably bad.
Lol. Yeah, I watched the first few episodes last night. I'm not hating on it... yet. I enjoyed what I saw for the most part. Although, the chosen one really is an as$hat.

·
Premium Member
8,987 Posts
I enjoyed the series as well. Lots to be answered in season 2. There better be a season 2.

Reactions: WilliamR

·
Registered
26,500 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: RobKnapp

·
Registered
18,193 Posts
Finished this up last night. Overall I didn’t mind it. Once the “chosen one” calmed down a bit. Still annoying. But at the end of the day, I was entertained. Although the way they ended it I hope they had already inked a season 2.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Geez, I remember when this was a comic back in the day. Warrior Nun Areala. Wish they had completed the animated version though before this. That was hilarious!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts