AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 360 freezes after about 5-10 minutes of play. I checked the M$ boards and there seems to be a widespread problem with the update. Have any of you guys experienced issues with the update?

If this continues to be such a problem, couldn't there be a class-action suit against Microsoft? From what I've read they keep denying the fact that their updates are bricking consoles, so I wonder what can be done about all of these problems.

The funny thing is, well not funny I guess, all of the previous updates went fine for me so I didn't think twice about how friggin' annoying it is to have something I've spent well over a grand on broken by someone else's retardation. Thank you Microsoft!!

·
Registered
718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesketball /forum/post/0

My 360 freezes after about 5-10 minutes of play. I checked the M$ boards and there seems to be a widespread problem with the update. Have any of you guys experienced issues with the update?

If this continues to be such a problem, couldn't there be a class-action suit against Microsoft? From what I've read they keep denying the fact that their updates are bricking consoles, so I wonder what can be done about all of these problems.

The funny thing is, well not funny I guess, all of the previous updates went fine for me so I didn't think twice about how friggin' annoying it is to have something I've spent well over a grand on broken by someone else's retardation. Thank you Microsoft!!

There is a problem after every update. I have no idea why.

Be thankful - I -just- got my 4th 360 from Microsoft service yesterday. They just randomly stop working sometimes.

Sounds like you'll need to call 800-4-MY-XBOX and schedule a replacement.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Actually now that I think of it, my 360 rarely crashed before the recent update. Now it crashes a few times a day. I've only noticed it with R6: Vegas multiplayer (since that's the only game I play now) and thought it was initially an R6 problem, but come to think of it my 360 never really crashed until recently. Hmm...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've had one lockup since the update in Oblivion, which has locked up for me pretty randomly (sometimes 15 minutes, sometimes 8 hours in, rarely more than one lockup every 3-4 sessions).

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
My 360 has not locked up once (knock on wood) after a month of ownership and some marathon GOW sessions. I hope I got a good one.

·
Registered
979 Posts
No lock ups. But my 4th console that i just got back from ms won't recognize disks sometimes.

·
Registered
635 Posts

Quote:

Mine died. It was just freezing in games at first, then started freezing in the dash, then freezing at bootup, then red lights. If I'd had any problems before and if it hadn't started immediately after downloading the update, then I might think it was random. But it's been pretty stable for a year, so it's pretty obvious to me the update killed it.

The person at 4-MY-XBOX claimed to have no knowledge of any update problem. He made me unplug, replug, detach HDD, re-attach HDD, etc. None of that worked, so I guess I'm not a complete tard.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I used my 360 for the first time in a few weeks this past weekend. It has never frozen and never had issues. After the update installed on Saturday, I've frozen twice (had to reboot).

My warranty expires in 5 days - I'm not too happy.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts

Quote:

Not with the latest one but I did have a problem with the fall update. The day after the update I got the 3 red rings, called MS, and they sent me the return box.

My 360 died last spring. After it was repaired, I bought the extended warranty. When I called the secone time in the fall they offered me a free, new, 360. Not sure it was because I had the ext warranty or maybe they have a two strikes an

I went on vacation before the return box arrived so I never sent it back. Just for kicks, I turned on the 360 when I got home and it worked fine! Strange. That was two months ago and I haven't had problems since. I still have the return box and I plan on keeping it just in case.

There are problems and MS has recognized the issue and they are now offering a full year warranty now (not the 90 crap) AND if you buy the extended warranty, you are covered for three years (I think?).

The quality control problems with the 360 are inexcusable.

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
I had my launch window (2005) 360 lock up on me after the last update in 2006.....the update ran, then all my games started locking up. Then the blades..then finally the 3 red lights.

I sent it in, got it repaired for free, and they sent me back another one...no lockups since then (well, a couple in Test Drive unlimited, but that game is known for locking up now and then).

But it did get me thinking about this: What in the hell could it possibly be that causes something to start freezing more and more until it dies outright?

I mean, electronics usually dont die a slow death. Electronic components usually fail, catastrophically, in one fell swoop..this locking up more and more thing makes no sense.

Lockups usually indicate a heat failure....at least in computers. But if the unit locks up after freezing, and it boots up again...if there was any permanant damage, it should be bricked right then and there and shouldn't boot. If there is no permanant damage from the lockup, then it should continue to run forever...just locking up all the time. Its like a progressive damage model that doesn't make sense, that every lockup you get (before the final doom of 3 red lights) somehow does more and more damage??

Thats...very un-electronic

I wondered if the big update that killed so many systems unlocked greater speed on the processors or some previously-unused capacity of the system.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Medic and Lumpy - it's not too late to get the extended warranty.

I sent mine in about 9 months after I bought the 360. Just don't date the form and I think you will be all set.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
I have a launch day unit, I have installed every update, and I've never had a problem. I wouldn't automatically assume that an update killed any 360. There could be other reasons... especially over-heating.

Mine is sitting in a small/cold well ventilated room adjacent to my HT.

Things that make you go Hmmmm...

·
Registered
769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kysersose /forum/post/0

I have a launch day unit, I have installed every update, and I've never had a problem. I wouldn't automatically assume that an update killed any 360. There could be other reasons... especially over-heating.

Mine is sitting in a small/cold well ventilated room adjacent to my HT.

Things that make you go Hmmmm...

I had little trouble with mine (bought Feb 06), but since I got GoW I get frequent freezes (never any red lights). Enough so that I will have to get a replacement soon. I know it isn't my GoW disc because I'm on my 3rd one and it is absolutely perfect in condition (and have a dskin on it).

I understand the need for ventilation but we shouldn't have to keep it in a freezer practically. I love my 360, but something isn't right when this many have exhibited various problems. Maybe as technology gets more complex there is more room for problems, but I think there has to be a lot of blame on MS if the overall issues are as prevalent as it seems (unless it is a greasy wheel type thing).

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Genro... I treat the 360 like I treat ALL my computers/laptops. These things are no longer simple consoles. They need plenty of room to breathe and are best left in a cool environment.

How else do you explain my launch day system running smoothly? Luck?

BTW, my Wii has crashed more often and I've only had it a couple of months...

Strange but true.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.