AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was literally going to put the order in for a SVS13 today when I discovered a gentleman locally who's selling a PERFECT 2 yr-old, gloss black PB12/PLUS for $700- DELIVERED. 900+ bucks is 900+ bucks, friends.

What's a guy to do?!

Let's hear it,

James

·
Registered
20,245 Posts
Only more output down low, from 25-80hz the plus/2 will have more output. The ultra will have better sound quality for sure. If using for movies this sound quality might not be as noticeable. The plus/2 is a very nice sub.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
If you haven't listened to the Ultra13 then you could probably get the 12plus and be extremely happy for a long time,

but if you've already listened to the 13 then it's probably too late to go back.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
In the 25 Hz mode, the Plus/2 will play ~2 dB louder than the PB13U from ~30-55 Hz. Above 55 Hz and

·
Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe /forum/post/15552582

Was literally going to put the order in for a SVS13 today when I discovered a gentleman locally who's selling a PERFECT 2 yr-old, gloss black PB12/PLUS for $700- DELIVERED. 900+ bucks is 900+ bucks, friends.

What's a guy to do?!

Let's hear it,

James

Is it a PB12-Plus or PB12-Plus/2 (dual driver)?

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ahhh, difficult, as expected.

$700 vs. $1600 makes it even more so. I'm not cheap, but the "less than half price appeal" of the PB12 is frustratingly tempting.

I knew I'd get ULTRA pressure from you guys, ****!

James

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac /forum/post/15553263

Is it a PB12-Plus or PB12-Plus/2 (dual driver)?

Damn, omitted the "2"

Yes, it is indeed a PB12 Plus/2.

I regret the error.

James

·
Registered
6,952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe /forum/post/15552582

What's a guy to do?!

Let's hear it,

James

Ummm guys? Where does this say anything about a Plus/2? I see the man talking about a 2yr-old PB12-Plus.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmmm, kinda appears like everyone was assuming a PB12PLUS 2 though, anyway, judging by the posts.

James

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike /forum/post/15553305

Ummm guys? Where does this say anything about a Plus/2? I see the man talking about a 2yr-old PB12-Plus.

Apologies, in my haste I left off the 2!

James

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
I don't think there's any question that the Plus/2 for only $700 to your door is better "bang for your buck" as far as output is concerned. Ed gave a great comparison a couple of posts up. The way I understand it, the tangible improvements you'll experience with the Ultra over the Plus/2 are:

- better SQ (a plus for movies, but a really big deal if you listen to music a lot)

- lower distortion (not sure how obvious it will be - again, probably more important for music)

- deeper extension (the Plus/2 is natively tuned at 25hz and requires a port plug to be tuned at 20hz. OTOH, the Ultra is natively tuned at 20hz and one plug gives it a 15hz tune, which many owners claim offers strong output to ~12-13hz in-room)

- better upper bass reproduction (previous SVS subs were great from 50hz and down, but sometimes were criticized for not being quite as good in the 50-100hz octave. The Ultra is ruler flat to 100hz and beyond which likely plays a large role in its "musicality")

Of course there's also the fact that you'd have peace of mind knowing you have the "best of the best" that SVS has to offer. Whether these advantages are worth $900 is up to you. IMO, $700 for a Plus/2 is a steal and given my limited finances, I'd probably go that route. That said, I've yet to see mention anywhere of an Ultra owner who regretted his purchase. Best of luck!

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
being a bit new to SVS, was the PB12PLUS/2 their flagship for a bit, or was the "original" Ultra 12 a step above it, yet?

Besides the Ultra 13 (and perhaps the 12, as noted) would this be their best-performing "box" subwoofer? Performance: roughly, output + linear response + range.

thanks

James

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The upper reaches (50-100 hz) is a valid differentiating point, so thanks for that. I have Def Tec Mythos One's up front, and although fantastic in many regards, they need all the help they can get from 40hz on up. Hell, prolly 50, really!

James

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
You are right, for that kind of money it would be tough to pass up. As much as I would prefer the Ultra for just about everything, like you said $900 is a lot of coin. You buy a lot of other gear for that...

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
The Ultra/2 was considered to be their old flagship. The 13Ultra is a better sub in every way than the Plus/2 or the old Ultra/2 except for maximum output capability. Still, for $700 you cannot go wrong with a Plus/2 if it's in good operating condition.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The plus/2 will be amazing. You could not go wrong with that sub you could always keep it a year or two and get the next big thing in subwoofers.

I have a Ultra/2 which is very similar and it absolutely rocks! When it was new my friend and I were watching movies and the light bulb filiments would break from the spl.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Current room is about 1800 cu ft btw, although we'll definitely be moving into a larger area in the next year or so. I'm expecting either to do a great job in all but the most cavernous spaces, though?

James

1 - 20 of 34 Posts