AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I haven't had speakers or receivers etc. to my computer for years. Damn been managing whit only headphones to my computer for at least 5years now.

Well finally I got hold for myself a receiver and some large speakers as my half-brother was given some other older audio gear that which was better than the ones he had. Well I stole myself two (JWS GENEXXA) Unique 5000 speakers whit a JVC R-S33 Stereo Receiver Super-A to connect to my computer to have as speakers when he was switching his gear out. The stuff is from the 80's I was told.

They work quite allright but the Receiver sometimes gives these crackling sounds to the speakers and sometimes seems to shut off but it's not often. Should I be worried?

These are the speakers I got, they are some older speakers that have not been in use for how many years I might think and just been dusting in the house.
http://www.genexxa.se/genexxa_unique5000.php3

Though the Freq. Responce is actually 25-20000 Hz if I check at the back of the speakers. They sound allright. My headphones, some Plantronics I have sound maybe just a bit better but if I pump upp the volume then the speakers are quite allright and more fun, damn can almost blow windows to pieces

Had to use tape and make it so I can't turn the volume over the 2 mark on the receiver whit it's scale off 0-10. damn when I accidentally put it at 4,5... damn... ****ing scared the **** off everyone in the house, haha. damn was it loud!

Well anyway they are connected to my computer and I have the speakers on the computer table/desk (it's quite large). The speakers are on each back corner off the table and the Receiver is in the middle inbetween whit my 24" LCD monitor on top. Then I have my computer just left of the receiver and screen.

I wonder is it really safe to have the computer case only 15cm away from the left speaker? well the motherboard is on the right side of the case so it's about 25cm going through the case before the motherboard. Should there be some larger distances?

And the receiver is just 10cm to the right off the computer case.

Some things I should be thinking off using this stuff?

EDIT:

As I read some threads in the forum I learnt that I'm about a arms length from the speakers when sitting in front typing etc. I.E. Nearfield listening(just a bit over 1 meter).

If I watch a movie etc I am sitting a bit further away on the sofa I have behind the computer chair, 2,5-3meters.

About the speaker wires that there seems to be alot more to it than just picking some left over cables in diffrent sizes/lengths extending or using as is.

Maybe why I seem the get higher output levels on the left speaker as it has a shorter and thicker cable than the right side that uses 2 cables, 1 quite thin and flimsy extended whit a thicker one.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthog /forum/post/15421152

Ok, I haven't had speakers or receivers etc. to my computer for years. Damn been managing whit only headphones to my computer for at least 5years now.

They work quite allright but the Receiver sometimes gives these crackling sounds to the speakers and sometimes seems to shut off but it's not often. Should I be worried?

Yes. Any receiver that periodically shuts down is either tired and needs to be replaced, or is being overstressed and is shutting itself down to avoid comitting suicide.

There's some possibility that shorted strands of speaker cable are contributing to your situation. Double check both ends of both cables.

Quote:
I wonder is it really safe to have the computer case only 15cm away from the left speaker? well the motherboard is on the right side of the case so it's about 25cm going through the case before the motherboard. Should there be some larger distances?

What is the nature of your concern? Speakers are very resistant to EMI if that is what you are worried about.

Quote:
About the speaker wires that there seems to be alot more to it than just picking some left over cables in diffrent sizes/lengths extending or using as is.

Probably the worst thing about using old speaker wires is that there's a good chance that the wire is corroded where you are making your connections. If it is not shiny bright, try cutting off 6 inches or a foot to expose fresh wire. If that wire is too corroded, then you might want to go down to the hardware store and buy some lamp cable, maybe 16 or 12 gauge depending on length and speakers.

Quote:
Maybe why I seem the get higher output levels on the left speaker as it has a shorter and thicker cable than the right side that uses 2 cables, 1 quite thin and flimsy extended whit a thicker one.

I don't know exactly what thin and flimsy means. The cable may still have some markings that say what gauge it is.

Given the probably short lengths of speaker cable that you are using, some hardware store stranded 14 or 16 gauge wire a few feet long won't cost much and might avoid problems down the line.

·
Registered
23,648 Posts
Definitely get new speaker wire!

Make sure there are no "stray" wire strands shorting the connections (at speakers and receiver).

Make sure the polarity of the wires are correct (red to red, black to black) from receiver to speakers.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm concerned about the magnetic fields and such. So that the speaker doesn't mess up the computer and it's components. (strong magnetic fields are never good for electronics right?)

Well anyway I moved it a little further away now as I moved the receiver, and also put down the LCD away from being on top of the receiver and that seemingly helped the receiver from stopping to shutdown which it started to do a few moments ago again.

When I moved the LCD away from being on top of it, it started up again and been going fine for a while now. Might have been heat or such as the LCD stand did cover up 60% off the air holes the receiver had. Need to keep it going and see if I get more shut-downs to see if it was because I had the LCD on top of it.

About those 12, 16 gauge etc, I still haven't read about that so I have no idea what that means yet.

I can probably manage whit 2 meter length cable and have it running nice. The speakers where 8Ohm. You mentioned LAMP cable?? are they better than normal speaker-wire? (because they normally are thicker?)

About the thin and flimsy cable. it's speaker-wire but it's thinner than the other speaker-wire strands I had around. kinda looks to thin to be used on the big speakers I have.

edit:

The wires don't have any markings on them or such but to tell that one is the "red" and the other is "black". I did check that the polarity's are correct. but yeah I should probably check for better/newer wire and cut to appropriate lengths and not have them clutter all over in nests and twists around power video etc other comp cables I have them lying around whit right now :p

EDIT2:

Allright I cleaned up whit the speaker-wire cables. I picked out the cables I had which was 3 short parts off different wire and thickness. I had the thickest to the left one and the thinner ones to the right and being way to long as well.

Well to make it short I took the longest cable I had off the three and checked it out and it was the one that was about in the middle in thickness between the three wires. It was as well the least corroded. well it hadn't corroded at all from what I could tell, shiny and bright in colour the others where real dark. well I checked the length and saw that I could cut this wire in 2 equal lengthy ones at about 1 meter and as I connected and put the stuff in place it seemingly was the perfect length for this setup.

So now I have the same length and off same cable to both speakers. The output levels are similar now it seems on both speakers, haven't checked thoroughly yet though which I need to do, but it seems I'm getting clearer/uniform sound from the speakers now.

Seems the receiver is still crackling and shutting off. not a good sign.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthog /forum/post/15421771

I'm concerned about the magnetic fields and such. So that the speaker doesn't mess up the computer and it's components. (strong magnetic fields are never good for electronics right?)

No, most electronics could care less about strong magnetic fields. Principle exception is electronics with large CRTs. Besides, the external magnetic field of a typical loudspeaker enclosure is far from being strong. If CRTs haven't been so much of our life for the last 50 years, we'd pretty universally care less.

Quote:
Well anyway I moved it a little further away now as I moved the receiver, and also put down the LCD away from being on top of the receiver and that seemingly helped the receiver from stopping to shutdown which it started to do a few moments ago again.

Most likely cause of a receiver tripping out is the receiver itself, the speaker wiring, and the combination of speakers and listening levels. If you aren't playing the receiver loudly, you might try detaching all wires from it but the power cord and running it "on empty" as it were. It might still trip out, and if it does while "running on empty" then there is only one possible point of failure.

Quote:
When I moved the LCD away from being on top of it, it started up again and been going fine for a while now. Might have been heat or such as the LCD stand did cover up 60% off the air holes the receiver had. Need to keep it going and see if I get more shut-downs to see if it was because I had the LCD on top of it.

Well yes, blocking ventilation holes is a bad idea. But that has nothing to do with electronics.

Quote:
About those 12, 16 gauge etc, I still haven't read about that so I have no idea what that means yet.

12 guage etc, is how we size wire in the US. if you are in the "civilized" world and use metric, then someone who is familiar with metric wiring should help.

Quote:
I can probably manage whit 2 meter length cable and have it running nice. The speakers where 8Ohm. You mentioned LAMP cable?? are they better than normal speaker-wire?

Most lamp-style cable is exactly what you need for speakers. Just get some of the thicker stuff. In the 2 meter length 14-16 gauge is good enough.

Quote:
(because they normally are thicker?)

I have this big roll of 12 gauge lamp-style cord that I obtained from Home Depot some years back. It's pretty much "one size fits all" speaker cable. It is thicker than any regular lamp cord I've ever seen. IME lamp cord is usually 16 gauge or thinner (i.e., 18 guage and up)

Quote:
About the thin and flimsy cable. it's speaker-wire but it's thinner than the other speaker-wire strands I had around. kinda looks to thin to be used on the big speakers I have.

Its not about the size of the speaker but their impedance and the length of the cable. Longer cables want to be thicker. 2 meters is relatively short.

Quote:
The wires don't have any markings on them or such but to tell that one is the "red" and the other is "black". I did check that the polarity's are correct. but yeah I should probably check for better/newer wire and cut to appropriate lengths and not have them clutter all over in nests and twists around power video etc other comp cables I have them lying around whit right now :p

When it comes to speaker wire, better to spend less money at the hardware store, as opposed to spending more money at the audio store.

IME audio store wire is vastly overpriced, unless you have that really exceptional audio store with a big roll of 12 gauge speaker wire that they cut off for you for a buck a foot or less. They are still making 100% markup, but its not worth haggling over a few bucks.

Seriously, you can get far thicker copper from the hardware store for $10 than you will get from most audio stores for $20.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx for answering the questions. I appreciate it a lot!

The receiver shuts down in that it stops sending out sound. the speakers just go dead silent. Well you hear like that the power is cut abruptly or that power is coming as you start it up( how do I say it-... Blip? whit much bass I could say) Looking at the receiver itself you don't see if it's off, it looks like it's still running (only 1 light on it and that's the one showing the frequency range for the radio tuner, it still is on even if sound stops whit the "Blip!..")

The crackling sound comes from the speakers, the receiver sends it directly to the speakers, even if volume is 0 or volume is 2 or more, the crackling seems to stay at about the same volume. When it crackles I see the output level meters on the receiver spike a lot. Normal listening volume for me is that the receiver don't show any lights at all (maybe 1 or 2 light if there is lots of bass) in the output level lights but when the crackling starts they spike about halfway across to 4-5 lights.

The output is marked whit (W/8Ohm). 1 light being 0.03, 2lights being 0.06, 3 being 0.4, 4 whit 2.5, 5 lights at 7.5. So the crackling is quite loud compared to the music I listen to.

·
Registered
8,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk /forum/post/15422558

No, most electronics could care less about strong magnetic fields. Principle exception is electronics with large CRTs. Besides, the external magnetic field of a typical loudspeaker enclosure is far from being strong. If CRTs haven't been so much of our life for the last 50 years, we'd pretty universally care less.

Really? I've always been careful not to say put a hard drive next to a big unshielded speaker. Now whether that's a truly justifiable concern or not I don't know.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/15423537

The "crackling" could be dirty potentiometers or switches (volume, balance, EQ, etc.).

Get some spray cleaner and see what happens. You should remove the cover. Spray and move the slides/knobs.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103700

And it's "with" not "whit".

Nice hinter there. Though I live in sweden and need to find some stuff locally here instead.

The thing is old and I don't believe it's ever really been cleaned but cleaning off the dust from the exterior.

I might crack it open first now a bit later and check out the interior, dust it off and check that there ain't any problems visibly there.

On another note I seem to get some other stuff now. I haven't had any crackling for a while now but now I get these screeching and kinda off farting sounds constantly... sounds exactly the same on both speakers. >_>;

·
Banned
1,614 Posts

Quote:
I've always been careful not to say put a hard drive next to a big unshielded speaker.

The magnets inside the hard drive are much more powerful then the external magnetic field from a speaker. Static fields are not a problem anyway, otherwise that huge magnetic field surrounding this planet would be an issue.

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
Hmmm... It seems you're right. I've been looking around and most seem to agree that placement of a hard drive next to an unshielded speaker shouldn't cause any problems.

They don't recommend putting floppy disk next to an unshielded speaker however, but that's basically moot for me, as I haven't used a floppy disk in years.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmm I have a question about the speakers, are the Unique 5000 full register front speakers?

If so, should I put in my comp settings concerning bass to treat em as such? Because when I activate the full register thing, it seems I loose all bass but when I have none activated or use the other setting of offloading to subwoofer I have much more off it. (offloading to subwoofer(which I don't have) or just not activating these things has no difference)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well the screeching and farting stopped as I moved the receiver around as I switched out the cable going from the computer to the receiver from a 5m to a 0.5meter one which I found in a drawer in my room. It did those screeching sounds when I moved it around so maybe was some bad connection on some cable. Well if the cracking and shutdown keeps to a minimum I'll be keeping this oldie. If I don't keep it I need to buy some other as there are no free ones around whit family friends or relatives anymore.

·
Registered
23,648 Posts
Maybe if you buy the proper cables/wires/adapters and provide good ventilation things may get resolved.

Continuing to piece-meal is not productive and a waste of everyone's time.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy /forum/post/15423876

Really? I've always been careful not to say put a hard drive next to a big unshielded speaker.

People say the darnedest things. ;-)

Is the speaker supposed to hurt the hard drive or the hard drive supposed to hurt the speaker?

Trust me, there's no danger - the magnets in both the HD and the speaker are big boys and can take care of themselves.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Allright I'll continue from this thread.

I moved stuff around in my room to get better locations for the speakers for better sound.

This is my current setup now

The room has the dimensions off 245x420cm. The door to the bottom left wall and a window in the bottom right wall.

The wall(/roof) at the speaker side has a 45degree tilt from just a few centimetres above the speakers at a height off 142cm going up hitting the roof measuring 176cm from the back wall.

The right speaker is standing 53cm up from the floor the left one 50cm standing on the bottom half meant for the shelf that is on the right side next to the right speaker. (the right speaker is just above the bed which is 50cm high)

The desk whit computer & screen is about in the middle. 10cm closer to the left speaker though, I'm sitting on the chair whit the sofa behind me. When I watch movies or feel like just listening to music and not do anything else I sit in the sofa on the right side off it trying to get as close off the middle of the room as possible. I actually sit in the middle there if I measure it. (picture not so accurate)

The speakers are aimed currently so that they aim directly to the opposite side room corners. This seems to give quite all right sound sitting in the chair in front off the desk. But when I sit in the sofa it sounds a bit different from that it seems the sound is located from the monitor. Should it be like this? The sound doesn't sound fully as clear as when I sit in the chair whit speakers aiming directly at me as I seem to be in the middle of the room practically, and I don't get the effect that the sound is coming from the monitor now. seems more all around but to the sides where the speakers are, though not from the backside.

Which effect should I go for really? should I aim the speakers more toward the backside wall into the middle where I sit in the sofa or the opposite corners I have now making it seemingly better for the chair position and having it seem the sound is coming from the monitor when sitting in the sofa?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.