AVS Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c722 /forum/post/0

Are u saying all of them were converted to 1080i50 first for broadcast, then this 1080i50 is converted again to 1080i60 for US release ?

...hmm.. how does one transcode 50i to 60i exactly ? ... massive interpolation and/or "speed up" in audio ...?

Post Houses use standards converters & HD standards converters all the time. Usually devices called Teranex or Snell & Wilcox Ukon. They are very expensive equipment. These converters analyze the before and after frames to minimize the judder (multiple images) on moving images.

Also remember these productions can go thru pretty rigorous Quality Checking to minimize conversion artifacts.

I don't think you would slow the PAL HD w/pitch correction--I usually go 24 to 25 sped up and not 25 to 24. For Planet Earth, you would take the 50I images & interpolate to 60I images per second.

Interpolation with the Cross Conversion would probably produce better results.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9158 /forum/post/0

That's more or less what i was worried about... i mean, don't all those "conversions" somewhat hinder the picture quality? I'm not saying they do, i'm just asking.

Because you know, the HighDefDigest review was very positive about PQ (5 stars), so i thought, it's strange that the video manages to have such great PQ with all those conversions. Again, remember that i haven't seen the documentaries on BD, so i'm just asking.

By the way, so on the disc it's not 1080p24? What is it, 1080i60 for the US edition and 1080i50 for the UK edition?

It's a great documentary and isn't that good enough reason for purchase? If people say PQ is good then why the perpetual anxiety about framerate conversion?

AFAIK all the video-based BD releases so far have been 60fps, even in Europe (50Hz terrains).

Since you seem to be from Europe have you not considered getting the British (BBC/2 Entertain Video) version (to be released soon)?

BBC Postproduction article on PE

·
Registered
37 Posts
A point to remember in discussing the Planet Earth project is that it was begun several years ago, I think 4 or 5yrs. The camera and post technology has come very far since then.

For me, even the last year has seen significant changes to the post and editing cycle as well as camera development. Things like recording uncompressed to flash drive or hard disk were not viable a couple of years ago or really even six months ago.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts