AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...I'd have to put my money on it, after sweating for the 50th time trying to connect one of those bloody things behind my TV. It's about the only connection you can't connect by "feel," and it even can be a b*tch to insert even when you are staring at the thing with 20/20 vision.

Worst connection interface ever made, IMHO. Beelzebub has a little laugh every time someone is faced with S-Video connections...I'm sure of it.

Rich

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
:D :D

Preach on, brother Harkness!!

What do you think the S in S-video stands for?

[churchlady] Could it be....um...oh, I don't know......SATAN!!! [/churchlady]

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
About the same quality as a computer PS2 connection. It stinks, and people who are unfamiliar with S connections try to rotate them into place, potentially damaging both the input jack and the cable. S cable is also poor at travelling more than 15ft.

To optimize:

-keep the distance short

-do not use inexpenive receivers for video switching unless you have to, go direct to the monitor

--you get what you pay for with cables here.

--more likely to see improvement when compared to composite with sources like DVD, SAT, SVHS deck, unlikely to see any improvement with composite based sources like LD, and standard VHS material.

The incoming signal for your DSS is carrying a digital signal from the LNB to your satellite receiver in the component format (YPrPb). This signal gets converted to the analog S output by your satellite receiver.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Man, give me BNC all the way! Never a loose connection there. I have had my TV go to all black and white because of loose S-video connections before. First time it happened, I didn't know what to look for and thought something was wrong with my DVD player. Turned out the connector from the receiver to the TV came loose when plugging in the DVD.

S-video cables suck for user interface.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Poindexter
Man, give me BNC all the way! Never a loose connection there. I have had my TV go to all black and white because of loose S-video connections before. First time it happened, I didn't know what to look for and thought something was wrong with my DVD player. Turned out the connector from the receiver to the TV came loose when plugging in the DVD.

S-video cables suck for user interface.
Same thing happened to me... Mine went intermitent black and white and I couldn't figure it out for days, until I swapped out S-video cables.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Yup, I too have broken one of the pins on an SVHS cable, resulting in B&W. I was so stupid. I had the cable in my hand with the pins in the proper direction, then I drop the cable behind my tv and tried to connect it without looking at it again. RatShack got an additional $15 from me that day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.