AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting washed out, dull colors when watching DVD's on my rp72, namely Attack of the Clones, and Last of the Mohicans.

I just recently moved and setup my HT in the new house. I just hooked up a Harmon/Kardon AVR 520 receiver that I'm component switching through. My HDTV broadcasts look outstanding, i.e. Direct TV 198 NBA games, and HDnet. Excellent vivid colors and detail.

The weird thing is I'm using a cheap "in the box" component cable between my Zenith SAT 520HDTV receiver and the H/K AVR 520. I then have another cheap component cable between my DVD player and the H/K 520. BUT I have a good quality bluejeans component cable from the TV to the H/K AVR 520.

Anybody still follow me? I realize 480p is not the same as 1080i, but this is a A LOT worse than I've seen previously when I had the DVD player connected directly to the TV. Wondering if it is the cheap component cable or the receiver or a setting I've missed? It's not so much poor detail in 480p, just poor saturation--faces look olive, etc. Any ideas??

Thanks,

MACD

·
Registered
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by macd
Getting washed out, dull colors when watching DVD's on my rp72, namely Attack of the Clones, and Last of the Mohicans.

I just recently moved and setup my HT in the new house. I just hooked up a Harmon/Kardon AVR 520 receiver that I'm component switching through. My HDTV broadcasts look outstanding, i.e. Direct TV 198 NBA games, and HDnet. Excellent vivid colors and detail.
It sounds like your H/K 520 has the bandwidth to handle your other sources, but not enough to handle the progressive signal from the player. IIRC, the 520 only has does 35MHz for component switching.

Quote:

Anybody still follow me? I realize 480p is not the same as 1080i, but this is a A LOT worse than I've seen previously when I had the DVD player connected directly to the TV.
Try connecting the DVD player directly to your display again, if it looks normal, you've found your answer. :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I found the answer to my problem. The red component cable was nicked going into to receiver, that's why I was getting 2/3rd's of the picture. Changed cables and everything is dandy.

MacD

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.