AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this question in the LCD section of this forum, but nobody replied, and I'm hoping I'll have more luck here:

Is anyone else here with a PS3 hooked up to their Samsung LN-S4695D 1080p 46" LCD via HDMI? I'm experiencing some SERIOUSLY washed out blacks (they're literally grey) when using any downloaded movie trailers, game demos, or store-bought games. I DON'T have this problem when watching a Blu-ray movie. As soon as I quit the movie, though, I can see my black level change dramatically.

Any idea what's going on here?

Thanks in advance. Desperately trying to fix this problem. Can't think of any reason why this is doing it...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Shot in the dark here (I don't own this TV) ... perhaps the PS3 is outputing a different signal type - 720p for games, 1080p or 1080i for BluRay, for example - and your display has different settings for each signal type. Check your settings (brightness, contrast for example) during each of the activities and see if they're the same or not.

I still need to calibrate my display for my recently-installed PS3, and I know my display has (potentially) different settings for 720p and 1080i. So now I get the pleasure of calibrating it twice. Joy.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Any pics of the problem?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I am also seeing rather washed out images on my Sharp 46" LC-46D62U which is running in 1080p as well. On XMB as well as in Resistance Fall of Man, though I haven't seen it during BD playback or racing game demos which are far more bright and colourful. Sometimes it looks almost like interference and noise you'd see on analog TVs - this happens with other sources also on grayish screens but PS3 looks the nastiest.

If I drop brightness by several notches, it helps. Still, out of all souces I have, PS3 fares the worst.

·
Registered
603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG /forum/post/0

I posted this question in the LCD section of this forum, but nobody replied, and I'm hoping I'll have more luck here:

Is anyone else here with a PS3 hooked up to their Samsung LN-S4695D 1080p 46" LCD via HDMI? I'm experiencing some SERIOUSLY washed out blacks (they're literally grey) when using any downloaded movie trailers, game demos, or store-bought games. I DON'T have this problem when watching a Blu-ray movie. As soon as I quit the movie, though, I can see my black level change dramatically.

Any idea what's going on here?

Thanks in advance. Desperately trying to fix this problem. Can't think of any reason why this is doing it...

I have an LNS4696D... pics would help so I know what I'm looking for. I don't notice this problem and have RFOM, NBA2K7, Tony Hawk, Marvel: Ult Alliance, NFS Carbon and now Genji (free from sony points).

My ps3 is hooked up via HDMI so let me know what I'm looking for.

Jerz

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerz /forum/post/0

I have an LNS4696D... pics would help so I know what I'm looking for. I don't notice this problem and have RFOM, NBA2K7, Tony Hawk, Marvel: Ult Alliance, NFS Carbon and now Genji (free from sony points).

My ps3 is hooked up via HDMI so let me know what I'm looking for.

Jerz

Thanks for the replies. The easiest way to see what I'm describing is to do as follows:

1.) Turn your TV on to the PS3 input, but don't turn on the PS3 yet.

2.) Turn your PS3 on. Watch your black levels brighten dramatically.

OR:

Another easy way to test is to load any game or demo, then hold down the PS button in the middle of the controller, until the system options menu appears. This is pretty much an entirely black screen that looks really washed out. Turn your PS3 off from that menu, and you'll see how much darker your screen becomes after the PS3 switches off.

Thanks again, guys.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie /forum/post/0

Shot in the dark here (I don't own this TV) ... perhaps the PS3 is outputing a different signal type - 720p for games, 1080p or 1080i for BluRay, for example - and your display has different settings for each signal type. Check your settings (brightness, contrast for example) during each of the activities and see if they're the same or not.

I still need to calibrate my display for my recently-installed PS3, and I know my display has (potentially) different settings for 720p and 1080i. So now I get the pleasure of calibrating it twice. Joy.

Well my dashboard is running in 1080p, and so does Gran Turismo:HD. So the signal is, in theory, the same as when I run Blu-ray movies. However, the screen remains washed out during the dashboard and all games/demos, 1080p or otherwise, but is perfect in Blu-ray movies.

No problems with my Toshiba A2-HD in 1080i over HDMI.

But feel free to test out my method to see it, above, and please let me know how you fare. Thanks.

·
Registered
603 Posts

Quote:

Thanks for the replies. The easiest way to see what I'm describing is to do as follows:

1.) Turn your TV on to the PS3 input, but don't turn on the PS3 yet.

2.) Turn your PS3 on. Watch your black levels brighten dramatically.

????? My flatpanel doesn't detect an hdmi signal unless the ps3 is on so if it doesn't detect a signal I can't switch to that input....

Also: during the day the xmb background lightens up and at night it darkens.

Here's a screenshot... Is that what your saying is "washed out"?

or that:

or that:?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...id=72917&stc=1

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:

????? My flatpanel doesn't detect an hdmi signal unless the ps3 is on so if it doesn't detect a signal I can't switch to that input....

Also: during the day the xmb background lightens up and at night it darkens.

Here's a screenshot... Is that what your saying is "washed out"?

or that:

or that:?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...id=72917&stc=1

That first picture definitely exhibits the washed-out look. If you have any Blu-ray movies, take a picture of the end credits when it's black in the background, and you'll see the image is MUCH darker (as it should be!).

Also, if you have your PS3 on, and therefore the HDMI input works, just turn your PS3 off, and then back on again, and watch your black levels go to crap.

·
Registered
603 Posts

Quote:

Also, if you have your PS3 on, and therefore the HDMI input works, just turn your PS3 off, and then back on again, and watch your black levels go to crap.

OH, I see what your talking about now...

Your talking about the difference in black from here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...id=72925&stc=1

to here:

For some reason... that really doesn't bother me but I do see your point.

Jerz

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:

OH, I see what your talking about now...

Your talking about the difference in black from here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...id=72925&stc=1

to here:

For some reason... that really doesn't bother me but I do see your point.

Jerz

That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about. It's just ugly. GT:HD and Resistance look SO washed out. There ZERO shadow detail at all.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Not all those pics are working for me....

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
The PS3 uses a different color format when outputting Blu-Ray movies. It is passing blacker-than-black and whiter-than-white. When playing games and in the dashboard your PS3 switches back to RGB color (from 4:2:2) so you need to have different calibrations for each purpose.

If you want to have the system operate at the same levels all of the time, go into the Blu-Ray setup and set playback to RGB color instead of Auto. This will give you the same format for both movies and games. You'll need to recalibrate according to the new setting, but black and white levels will coincide from there on out.

There is nothing wrong with your PS3. This is normal behavior for a machine that is using 2 different color spaces based on application.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 /forum/post/0

The PS3 uses a different color format when outputting Blu-Ray movies. It is passing blacker-than-black and whiter-than-white. When playing games and in the dashboard your PS3 switches back to RGB color (from 4:2:2) so you need to have different calibrations for each purpose.

If you want to have the system operate at the same levels all of the time, go into the Blu-Ray setup and set playback to RGB color instead of Auto. This will give you the same format for both movies and games. You'll need to recalibrate according to the new setting, but black and white levels will coincide from there on out.

There is nothing wrong with your PS3. This is normal behavior for a machine that is using 2 different color spaces based on application.

Thank you for that information. I posted awhile back in another thread about having to use two brightness settings on my Samsung HL-S5679W LED DLP HDTV and most everyone looked at me like I was nuts. For my HDTV, I use a 25 Brightness level for Games/dashboard and a 40 Brightness level for Blu-ray movies. I also have to use 25 for my DirecTV Satellite receiver which is 'bright' over HDMI as well so I have both it and the PS3 connected to the same HDMI input on the TV with a monoprice 2x1 switch. Of course I still have to manually up the Brightness to 40 when I watch a Blu-ray movie but I like the Auto setting better than RGB only.

P.S. Here is the other thread: CLICK HERE

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 /forum/post/0

Thank you for this reply. Very helpful in explaining the problem! If I calibrate using RGB, does that mean Blu-ray picture quality will suffer?

·
Registered
114 Posts
My guess is no harm done on picture quality. I'm not sure if they are referring to a digital YUV color space and then RGB colors. But both are digital and have basicly same amount of information. Somewhere do happens a conversion back and fort but should not be a problem.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
The PS3 needs to be patched for global YCbCr.

I am pretty sure that the PS2 was, since the RGB setting would garble the display.

*To be honest, the PS3 is probably just doing a terrible job of colorspace conversion, since my HD-XA1 seems absolutely fine at typical brightness level.

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
I'll second this that on my DLP front projector, I can't get the absolute black level anywhere near the way its calibrated for my HD-DVD Player or even the Cable TV feed coming in through Component.

The PS3 over HDMI sends out a noticibly brighter black level on my display. If I switch back to the HD-DVD player (also via HDMI and switchbox) the brightness is waaaaaaay too low.

Its almost like the PS3 is sending out the 7.5IRE black versus the 0 IRE black we expect with HD....????

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.