AVS Forum banner

15261 - 15280 of 15469 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
WETA TV 26 [RF 31] signal is super strong now. Have they completed repack and move to Fort Reno?

Also WRZB 31 [RF 32] is stronger.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Schedules Direct and Zap2It.com have program guide listings for WRC TV 4 [RF 34] sub-channel WRCDT5 LX Network mainly beginning at 6:00 AM Tuesday 19 May.

·
Registered
6 Posts
First post and hello.

Has anyone had trouble lately picking up WBFF? I used to pick it up without much trouble here in NoVA but it's been hit-or-miss (mostly miss) since it moved to RF26.

·
Registered
326 Posts
First post and hello.

Has anyone had trouble lately picking up WBFF? I used to pick it up without much trouble here in NoVA but it's been hit-or-miss (mostly miss) since it moved to RF26.
Welcome scpivo21. I have some ideas about your interference. Depending on where you live in northern Virginia, you could be experiencing co-channel interference from WHTJ out of Charlottesville. Even a weak signal from WHTJ (or any other RF channel 26) can make WBFF difficult to decode. Now that all TV stations will be squeezed in between channels 2-36, they're going to be more OTA viewers that will have to deal with CCI.

If it's not that, it could be LTE interference. There have been new 5G cell towers across the county coming on line in the past year using the sold off part of the UHF band. If you're close enough to one, they can still interfere with TV stations on the remaining part of the band. If that's the case, an LTE filter should fix that.

I hope that helps. The locals on this thread will come up with ideas I haven't thought of.

·
Registered
6 Posts
First post and hello.

Welcome scpivo21. I have some ideas about your interference. Depending on where you live in northern Virginia, you could be experiencing co-channel interference from WHTJ out of Charlottesville. Even a weak signal from WHTJ (or any other RF channel 26) can make WBFF difficult to decode. Now that all TV stations will be squeezed in between channels 2-36, they're going to be more OTA viewers that will have to deal with CCI.

If it's not that, it could be LTE interference. There have been new 5G cell towers across the county coming on line in the past year using the sold off part of the UHF band. If you're close enough to one, they can still interfere with TV stations on the remaining part of the band. If that's the case, an LTE filter should fix that.

I hope that helps. The locals on this thread will come up with ideas I haven't thought of.
Brian,

Thanks for the input. I'd be surprised if WHTJ is interfering with WBFF given the Rabbit Ears signal results below, but I could be mistaken. Nothing much you can do about it if that's the case, correct?

My (very uneducated) guess is that WBFF isn't operating at full power given the issues the area has faced with the repack, but I didn't see that confirmed anywhere.

Also, I have an LTE filter on the antenna, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks!

https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php?request=result&study_id=92363

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I'd be surprised if WHTJ is interfering with WBFF given the Rabbit Ears signal results below
Agree.

Nothing much you can do about it if that's the case, correct?
INcorrect. IF that were your problem, the interfering signal is nearly 180 degrees off-axis, so there are definitely things you could do, but I agree that's UNlikely to be your issue, so let's not go there.

My (very uneducated) guess is that WBFF isn't operating at full power given the issues the area has faced with the repack
I doubt it. My rf25 and rf26 look just as they should on my TiVos, given that 26 is approximately 2.5 dB weaker.

This is my rabbitears report, which you can see is very similar to yours:

https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php?request=result&study_id=92405

How is your reception on WNUV, what antenna are you using, and where/how is it installed?

WBFF shouldn't be affected by the ongoing repack related work for WMAR, WBAL and WJZ, it's on a seperate tower.
Agree.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Is the WBFF reception worse during windy weather as we've had this week? If so, then probably multipath interference from trees blowing around.

I'm only 12 miles from the transmitter (compared to OP's 50) but WBFF has oddly seemed more prone to multipath at my house than WNUV even before the repack change. As I type on this windy morning I see WBFF's signal fluctuating between 80 and 100% while WNUV is a steady 100%.

Re the low power theory, in the Live Bandscan section of rabbitears.info WBFF looks marginally stronger from the Leesburg monitor and slightly worse from Alexandria since the mid-March repack. I see no weakness 12 miles out.

·
Registered
774 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
How is your reception on WNUV, what antenna are you using, and where/how is it installed?
Thanks for the feedback. My reception on WNUV is non-existent, similar to WBFF (from what I remember, I was picking WNUV up a few months ago, but nothing recently). I have a ClearStream 2Max, which is set up outside next to our deck door. It's about 13 feet off the ground and faces Northeast. I promised the Mrs. I won't put the antenna on the roof, so that's not an option.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Yep, no 45 or 54 here either. They are both a tad weaker than channel 2 which is a bit too weak to decode as well. 54 used to be good here when on RF 40. OTOH MPT 22 is decode-able since the re-pack, even with the antenna pointed towards Baltimore.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Terk MTVGLS that is picking up Baltimore stations and WMPT in Annapolis, but not DC ones. I might be able to setup a small outdoor antenna in my balcony. What antenna do you recommend I try?

My Rabbit Ears study ID is 93103.

Thanks!

Casey

·
Registered
54 Posts
Do you get *any* DC stations? Is there anything especially challenging about your location - e.g., basement apartment? That is an amplified antenna. Can you try without the amplifier? You could be overloading your tv tuner, being so close to DC. A simple rabbit ears and loop, like this, should get you the DC stations, in theory.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-Easy-Adjust-Indoor-Antenna-Loop-and-Rabbit-Ears-30-Mile-Range-33694/194842437

I have a Terk MTVGLS that is picking up Baltimore stations and WMPT in Annapolis, but not DC ones. I might be able to setup a small outdoor antenna in my balcony. What antenna do you recommend I try?

My Rabbit Ears study ID is 93103.

Thanks!

Casey

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am in a 15th floor unit and the compass app on my phone claims it is has an elevation of 140 feet. The unit faces away from the DC broadcast towers. I was mistaken, the Terk MTVGLS is able to pick up channels 50 and 66 with the amplifier plugged in. Today I am getting 14 as well. I have scanned for channels with it being unplugged and it was not able to pick up 4, 5, 7, 9 , 20, or 32. I might get some RG6 coax to be able to try the antenna on my balcony.

Do you get *any* DC stations? Is there anything especially challenging about your location - e.g., basement apartment? That is an amplified antenna. Can you try without the amplifier? You could be overloading your tv tuner, being so close to DC. A simple rabbit ears and loop, like this, should get you the DC stations, in theory.

15261 - 15280 of 15469 Posts