AVS Forum banner

15661 - 15680 of 15713 Posts

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Anyone use an HDhomerun unit in this thread? CBS and NBC football is nearly unwatchable because of deinterlacing issues. I researched and haven’t found much info on this problem.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
What hardware and software are you using to view the HDHomeRun's content?

If you're using certain Nvidia devices, there's an ongoing issue where they used chipsets with defective MPEG2 decoders that crap out on some interlaced channels and the only workaround is to use software decoding for MPEG2. In Kodi and VLC there are advanced options to turn off hardware decoding, I'm not sure if the option is available on other software like Plex or Emby.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I use a HDHR with a Tivo Stream 4K and utilize the Live Channels app. I switched to 4 and 9 for a couple of minutes each and I didn't notice any video problems.

Anyone use an HDhomerun unit in this thread? CBS and NBC football is nearly unwatchable because of deinterlacing issues. I researched and haven’t found much info on this problem.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
What hardware and software are you using to view the HDHomeRun's content?

If you're using certain Nvidia devices, there's an ongoing issue where they used chipsets with defective MPEG2 decoders that crap out on some interlaced channels and the only workaround is to use software decoding for MPEG2. In Kodi and VLC there are advanced options to turn off hardware decoding, I'm not sure if the option is available on other software like Plex or Emby.
Well I use Nvidia Pro for the projector and 3 Firecubes for other TVs. I use Channels for the Nvidia and the hdhomerun app for the cubes. On most of the programming it isn’t noticeable. On football it really is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello Everyone, I’m new to the forum and I have two problems I would like to get some information on.

I live in Woodbridge, VA 22193; we receive our broadcasting from the Washington, DC market. My goal is to also receive all (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, and CW) of the Baltimore, broadcasting as well. Currently, I have a Winegard HD7694P antenna, roof mounted 30 feet above ground; Antennas Direct Juice preamp and CDA4 distribution amplifier feeding 3 TV’s (Garage, Basement, and Family Room).

1st issue; channels 11.1 WBAL/NBC and 13.1 WJZ/CBS come in strong (crystal clear) about 60% of the time, then other times I get a lot of interference and pixilation (unviewable). Please note: the channels play best in the early mornings, mid-day, evening/primetime, but not consistently.

2nd issue; when I turn on the garage lights (4 fixtures 8 fluorescent 4ft tubes 54 watts) channels 11.1 WBAL/NBC and 13.1 WJZ/CBS immediately, 85% of the time these channels have very bad interference and unwatchable pixilation. This issue occurs on all 3 TV’s. All the other Baltimore and DC channels play with no issues at all (crystal clear). Also, as stated in the 1st issue early mornings, mid-day, evening/primetime is when the two channels play the best (crystal clear.) And sometimes (abut 15%) the channels will play well with no issues with the garage lights on or off. Please Note: I have also used 8 LED 14-watt tubes (thinking the reduction in wattage would help), but I get the same results as with the fluorescents tubes. Finally, when I disconnect (remove the bulbs) from one fixture at a time, the interference issues are reduced immensely. When only two fixtures are on (fluorescent or LED’s) there is no interference of any kind!!!

Please Note: all the TV’s are Sony’s 43”-2014 Garage; 55”-2012 Basement; and 65” A9G OLED – 2019 Family Room. When scanned, all three TV’s get 76 channels. Also, I did try installing a Channel Master Titan 2 High Gain preamp to get more signal strength (replacing the Juice), but it made things worse (major interference and pixilation, unviewable).

Overall, I know these two Baltimore channels a very weak VHF channels, but it appears to me that the broadcast signal comes in stronger at different broadcasting times and I have ideas about the Garage lights.

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated, or suggestion on how I can improve on my situation.

MikeW.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I live in Pa and same thing. I get the UHF channels well but 11 and 13 are problematic. A lot of dropouts on some days. My signal quality is good from 30-32, 32 plus on my Sony tv is a superior signal. Strength is also good. I am about 55 miles from the transmitters. I’ve been trying to figure this out for years but haven’t. I think that vhf is very susceptible to noise and interference, something that you found out with your lights. Some days are decent but others are constant dropouts.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
I live in Woodbridge, VA 22193; we receive our broadcasting from the Washington, DC market. My goal is to also receive all (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, and CW) of the Baltimore, broadcasting as well.
Hello, Mike; welcome to the forum.

It would be helpful if you gave us the link to a signal report from rabbitears.imfo as required in the sticky:
NOTE: Put YOUR LOCATION in the TITLE of ALL OTA threads...

You can do a report here:
RabbitEars.Info

I did a generic signal report for Woodbridge, Va that might not be correct for your actual location:
RabbitEars.Info
1st issue; channels 11.1 WBAL/NBC and 13.1 WJZ/CBS come in strong (crystal clear) about 60% of the time, then other times I get a lot of interference and pixilation (unviewable). Please note: the channels play best in the early mornings, mid-day, evening/primetime, but not consistently.

2nd issue; when I turn on the garage lights (4 fixtures 8 fluorescent 4ft tubes 54 watts) channels 11.1 WBAL/NBC and 13.1 WJZ/CBS immediately, 85% of the time these channels have very bad interference and unwatchable pixilation. This issue occurs on all 3 TV’s. All the other Baltimore and DC channels play with no issues at all (crystal clear). Also, as stated in the 1st issue early mornings, mid-day, evening/primetime is when the two channels play the best (crystal clear.) And sometimes (abut 15%) the channels will play well with no issues with the garage lights on or off. Please Note: I have also used 8 LED 14-watt tubes (thinking the reduction in wattage would help), but I get the same results as with the fluorescents tubes. Finally, when I disconnect (remove the bulbs) from one fixture at a time, the interference issues are reduced immensely. When only two fixtures are on (fluorescent or LED’s) there is no interference of any kind!!!
Since WJZ and WBAL are very weak VHF-High channels, they are likely to have electrical interference. Your only solution is to reduce the local electrical interference to TV reception by either eliminating the interference or moving your antenna away from the interference. The interference can come for your house, a neighbor's house, or the power lines.

As you found out, adding more amplification doesn't solve the problem because it makes the signals AND the noise stronger.

VHF-High_UHF SpecSpy4.jpg

VHF 5-28-2020P29884_2.jpg

lenlabHDFvhfNoise4.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
I live in Pa and same thing. I get the UHF channels well but 11 and 13 are problematic. A lot of dropouts on some days. My signal quality is good from 30-32, 32 plus on my Sony tv is a superior signal. Strength is also good. I am about 55 miles from the transmitters. I’ve been trying to figure this out for years but haven’t. I think that vhf is very susceptible to noise and interference, something that you found out with your lights. Some days are decent but others are constant dropouts.
Keeper, thanks for the update, now I know I'm not the only one with this problem. It amazes me how some days 11 and 13 play better than the DC stations. I was told that I could try replacing my 3' mast with a 10' mast and that may give me better reception.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello, Mike; welcome to the forum.

It would be helpful if you gave us the link to a signal report from rabbitears.imfo as required in the sticky:
NOTE: Put YOUR LOCATION in the TITLE of ALL OTA threads...

You can do a report here:
RabbitEars.Info

I did a generic signal report for Woodbridge, Va that might not be correct for your actual location:
RabbitEars.Info

Since WJZ and WBAL are very weak VHF-High channels, they are likely to have electrical interference. Your only solution is to reduce the local electrical interference to TV reception by either eliminating the interference or moving your antenna away from the interference. The interference can come for your house, a neighbor's house, or the power lines.

As you found out, adding more amplification doesn't solve the problem because it makes the signals AND the noise stronger.

View attachment 3073773

View attachment 3073778

View attachment 3073779
Rabbit73, thank you so much for the information, I may install a taller mast (10' vs 3') for better reception. Also, it appears that at certain times of the day (5:00pm to 8:00pm) the signal comes in stronger because there is no interference at all on either 11 or 13; with or without the garage lights. I have checked for other items of Interference and non was found. I may be forced to live with the problem for now.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Keeper, thanks for the update, now I know I'm not the only one with this problem. It amazes me how some days 11 and 13 play better than the DC stations. I was told that I could try replacing my 3' mast with a 10' mast and that may give me better reception.
Higher is usually better. I am on the edge I guess of reception though I have elevation on my side. Like I said as far as quality goes - no problem. But something is interfering with my signals either close by or along the way. Though my local CBS Harrisburg is blocked by a mountain they have recently increased their power and I am able to receive them with a few blurbs here and there. So I swung my VHF away from Baltimore.
Another thing to consider. I noticed especially in the summer that since the repack I was getting a lot of interference from distant channels on same frequency. This may be what your experiencing some days at certain times. I mean I was locking on channels from Hampton Roads and further and I am from Dillsburg.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Keeper, this is great information; I have only been using my antenna for about three months, so I guess I will have to see how signal is received for the remainder of the year. Maybe with a taller mast, time, and ATSC 3.0 my signal strength will get better. I will keep you posted on my progress.

Thank you so much

·
Registered
76 Posts
What type of coax are you using? I've read suggestions of RG6 double shield is good enough for most installations. I live in a high rise condo building so I went with quad shield in case any of my or neighbor appliances, lights, or other items have EMI that could cause interference. I don't remember a big price difference at the big box store.

I am in Huntington and I find WJZ difficult to receive, but I am able to receive WBAL although they are LOS and not 2-edge at my home.

·
Registered
42 Posts
For anyone following ATSC 3.0 developments, I just saw this over at DCRTV.com:

I’m glad i ticked someone off and accidentally got more information. Now we know you’ll be getting ABC, CBS, NBC, & FOX on WIAV 58 on RF channel 30 at 48kw in NextGen 4K TV soon. A lot of NextGen TV rollouts have started on LPTV stations, but WIAV is unique at 48kw, much more than 15kw. They have more power due to the WETA fiasco of switching to channel 31 at 1000kw. 15kw adjacent to 1000kw in close proximity would have had some problematic issues in ATSC 1.0, so WIAV got lucky by WETA being unlucky getting channel 14. ATSC 3.0 has much better adjacent channel rejection.
Now if Sony would just update X900H to activate the ATSC 3.0 tuner...

·
Registered
8 Posts
What type of coax are you using? I've read suggestions of RG6 double shield is good enough for most installations. I live in a high rise condo building so I went with quad shield in case any of my or neighbor appliances, lights, or other items have EMI that could cause interference. I don't remember a big price difference at the big box store.

I am in Huntington and I find WJZ difficult to receive, but I am able to receive WBAL although they are LOS and not 2-edge at my home.
Good Afternoon, Paul in Maryland
I live in a two story single family house with basement and I'm using RG6 double shield from the roof mounted antenna to the 4 way distribution amplifier. From the amplifier I'm using RG6 quad shield coax cables (to the tv's in the garage and the family room). Yesterday afternoon both WJZ and WBAL both played perfect with no pixilation or interference and that was with the garage lights on or turned off. Later last night the when I check again, there was lots of interference with the garage lights on, but non with lights off. Then much later (about midnight) neither of the two station would come in at all. Also, when disconnect two of the fixtures I have no interference problems of any kind. maybe I just need to install a dimmer switch.

I believe because both of these stations broadcast on VHF they have weaker signals. But doing prime viewing times the stations broadcasting signal is much stronger. Also, living in Northern VA (Woodbridge) it's going to be hard to get a good signal all the time. My overall goal was to see the Baltimore Ravens and their associate broadcasting (pre-game, post game, etc. type shows).

Thank you for your help

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
For anyone following ATSC 3.0 developments, I just saw this over at DCRTV.com:

I’m glad i ticked someone off and accidentally got more information. Now we know you’ll be getting ABC, CBS, NBC, & FOX on WIAV 58 on RF channel 30 at 48kw in NextGen 4K TV soon. A lot of NextGen TV rollouts have started on LPTV stations, but WIAV is unique at 48kw, much more than 15kw. They have more power due to the WETA fiasco of switching to channel 31 at 1000kw. 15kw adjacent to 1000kw in close proximity would have had some problematic issues in ATSC 1.0, so WIAV got lucky by WETA being unlucky getting channel 14. ATSC 3.0 has much better adjacent channel rejection.
Don't believe a word of this.

1. Nobody is broadcasting 4K in the U.S. nor expected to any time soon, 3.0/NextGen notwithstanding.

2. The chances of DC's Fox and NBC O&Os sharing with Sinclair on WIAV are remote at best.

3. RF 14 is currently transmitting 15kw while upper adjacent RF 15 is transmitting 1000kw from the same site.

DCRTV postings should always be taken with a grain of salt. A lot of the stuff there is just plain nonsense.

15661 - 15680 of 15713 Posts