AVS Forum banner

15681 - 15700 of 15713 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Don't believe a word of this.
[...]
DCRTV postings should always be taken with a grain of salt. A lot of the stuff there is just plain nonsense.
God bless the cesspool that is the Mailbag. That guy has less than zero idea what he is talking about and Dave just posts it anyway - I was the one he "ticked off" because I waded in there to set the record straight lol.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Good Afternoon, Paul in Maryland
I live in a two story single family house with basement and I'm using RG6 double shield from the roof mounted antenna to the 4 way distribution amplifier. From the amplifier I'm using RG6 quad shield coax cables (to the tv's in the garage and the family room). Yesterday afternoon both WJZ and WBAL both played perfect with no pixilation or interference and that was with the garage lights on or turned off. Later last night the when I check again, there was lots of interference with the garage lights on, but non with lights off. Then much later (about midnight) neither of the two station would come in at all. Also, when disconnect two of the fixtures I have no interference problems of any kind. maybe I just need to install a dimmer switch.

I believe because both of these stations broadcast on VHF they have weaker signals. But doing prime viewing times the stations broadcasting signal is much stronger. Also, living in Northern VA (Woodbridge) it's going to be hard to get a good signal all the time. My overall goal was to see the Baltimore Ravens and their associate broadcasting (pre-game, post game, etc. type shows).

Thank you for your help
If your lights are causing interference, it's best to replace them. A dimmer isn't necessarily going to improve the problem. The lights or ballast are putting out a frequency that's interfering ... had same with LED bulb in my sons room, replaced it and is better, but still causes some issues, so will be swapping different types bulbs in until find one that isn't an issue. Try a different set of bulbs first, but a whole replacement may be needed.

Atmospheric conditions change throughout the day, so can get variances in signal reception at different times.

·
Registered
42 Posts
God bless the cesspool that is the Mailbag. That guy has less than zero idea what he is talking about and Dave just posts it anyway - I was the one he "ticked off" because I waded in there to set the record straight lol.
LOL - Serves me right, then. That site's really gone down the tubes since Dave put the mailbag on the front page. Does he even live in the area anymore?

·
Registered
40 Posts
LOL - Serves me right, then. That site's really gone down the tubes since Dave put the mailbag on the front page. Does he even live in the area anymore?
Yup. He moved several years ago which is why there is no more "news" - but there's little point to the site existing anymore if it's just going to be unmoderated discussion. IIRC he is somewhere in NC now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If your lights are causing interference, it's best to replace them. A dimmer isn't necessarily going to improve the problem. The lights or ballast are putting out a frequency that's interfering ... had same with LED bulb in my sons room, replaced it and is better, but still causes some issues, so will be swapping different types bulbs in until find one that isn't an issue. Try a different set of bulbs first, but a whole replacement may be needed.

Atmospheric conditions change throughout the day, so can get variances in signal reception at different times.
Hey greg9x2, thanks for the atmospheric information; this explains why my signal reception varies throughout the day it, makes a lot of sense.

Also, I have tried both fluorescent (54w bulbs) and LED (26w bulbs), but I get the same results; bad interference most of the time and no interference other time with the lights on. I also believe when the signal is coming in strong this is when the lights on or off does not cause any interference with either of the Baltimore channels.

I will try to find some lower wattage fluorescent tube bulbs.

Also, when I disconnect (remove the bulbs from 2 of the 4 fixtures) I have no problems with pixilation or interference and that's with the lights on or off. Sometimes 3 working fixtures is okay to.

I will keep you posted on my progress.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hey greg9x2, thanks for the atmospheric information; this explains why my signal reception varies throughout the day it, makes a lot of sense.

Also, I have tried both fluorescent (54w bulbs) and LED (26w bulbs), but I get the same results; bad interference most of the time and no interference other time with the lights on. I also believe when the signal is coming in strong this is when the lights on or off does not cause any interference with either of the Baltimore channels.

I will try to find some lower wattage fluorescent tube bulbs.

Also, when I disconnect (remove the bulbs from 2 of the 4 fixtures) I have no problems with pixilation or interference and that's with the lights on or off. Sometimes 3 working fixtures is okay to.

I will keep you posted on my progress.

Thanks for your help
Take a look at this:

Read in a forum that bulbs from Home Depot/Lowes are frequently culprits in RF emissions, and that Walmart Great Value brand have (or used to have) very little. Maybe a trip to Walmart to test that theory.

Reactions: Casey Hartman

·
Registered
8 Posts
Take a look at this:

Read in a forum that bulbs from Home Depot/Lowes are frequently culprits in RF emissions, and that Walmart Great Value brand have (or used to have) very little. Maybe a trip to Walmart to test that theory.
Thanks for the information it is very useful.

MikeW

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've had my Silicondust 4k Quattro up and running for several months now. I just got a firmware update. I did an update scan but still no 4K ATSC channels to be found. I've searched the web but cannot find any information about possible launch dates for Nextgen TV in the DC metro area? I think 2021 is supposed to be the year but still no news?

·
Registered
100 Posts
No ATSC 3.0 in this area yet. Keep an eye on this list:

I wouldn't expect to see 4K video content when it does comes to town. Maybe better/smoother 1080/720 video streams thanks to better encoding algorithms, though.

I've had my Silicondust 4k Quattro up and running for several months now. I just got a firmware update. I did an update scan but still no 4K ATSC channels to be found. I've searched the web but cannot find any information about possible launch dates for Nextgen TV in the DC metro area? I think 2021 is supposed to be the year but still no news?

·
Registered
40 Posts
No ATSC 3.0 in this area yet. [...]

I wouldn't expect to see 4K video content when it does comes to town. Maybe better/smoother encoding of 1080/720 video streams thanks to better encoding algorithms, though.
Well, I posted last week about the curious application from WMDO-CD to tear up its channel-share and relocate from WIAV-CD to WDCO-CD. That has no logical explanation besides Sinclair preparing to start ATSC 3.0 conversion work at WIAV-CD. But even if they started tomorrow I'd imagine that's at the very least a months-long process.

Last week Sinclair applied for an experimental 3.0 facility at their HQ in Maryland, but the documentation made it sound like broadcast 3.0 is not coming to Baltimore anytime soon, even though Baltimore is on the list of launch markets.

What is certain is no one is going to have 4K for a long time.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Has anyone noticed FOX's video quality to have declined lately? Seems like too much compression maybe due to the extra subchannels? I can really notice it with blurry pixels around the FOX logo during NFL games.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Which Fox affiliate, DC or Baltimore? I didn't realize we gained a new sub channel on either.

Has anyone noticed FOX's video quality to have declined lately? Seems like too much compression maybe due to the extra subchannels? I can really notice it with blurry pixels around the FOX logo during NFL games.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Which Fox affiliate, DC or Baltimore? I didn't realize we gained a new sub channel on either.
I am glad to see someone else make this observation. I thought it so bad that I contacted WTTG engineering with frame grabs (HDHomeRun) of WTTG and WJLA (both 720p). I got complete silence. In the past, when I would contact the engineering department of a TV station about a topic I would at least get a perfunctory reply. Apparently, WTTG simply doesn't care?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I noticed degradation during Good Day DC the other day. I thought it might have been the atmospheric conditions, the Tivo Stream, or Live Channel app.
I am glad to see someone else make this observation. I thought it so bad that I contacted WTTG engineering with frame grabs (HDHomeRun) of WTTG and WJLA (both 720p). I got complete silence. In the past, when I would contact the engineering department of a TV station about a topic I would at least get a perfunctory reply. Apparently, WTTG simply doesn't care?

·
Registered
659 Posts
I live in Woodbridge, VA 22193; we receive our broadcasting from the Washington, DC market. My goal is to also receive all (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, and CW) of the Baltimore, broadcasting as well...
I assume you already know that all of those networks are available from the D.C. area and that you really do want the Baltimore stations.

Also that you have looked into streaming (e.g. WBAL news is free online).

AFAICT, your antenna is only rated for 45 miles. You are a lot further away - I'm amazed you can get Baltimore reliably (with the lights off). I wonder if replacing it with a longer range antenna (as well as raising it as high as you can, as you have suggested) would help.

I'm going to assume the antenna cable isn't picking up the signal. Then I wonder if you could shield your antenna from your lighting fixtures by placing sheet metal above the lights. But you don't want to overheat the lights by cutting air circulation. I'm not sure what putting a sheet of metal just below the antenna (but not touching or connected to the wires) would do - it might help, or might make things worse.

BTW, chicken wire might work as well as sheet metal. In any event, you could do a quick cheap test with aluminum foil. If that helps, a thicker metal sheet might do better.

At a guess (I could be wrong), wrapping the antenna wire with aluminum foil might help a bit, if the antenna wire is the problem. Or not.
Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
MRG1, thanks for this information; I enjoy having the option of watching broadcasting in two different cities and watching the Baltimore Ravens (news). My installer recommended the Winegard HD7694P antenna and it works great when the signal is strong. The Baltimore channels play crystal clear; most of time they come in clearer then the DC channels which are 35 miles closer and that's with the lights on(when the signal is strong) or off.

I think I will try the sheet metal, but I can only place it above two of the lights (no access from the attic for the other two. Also, my antenna installer told me he would put the antenna on a taller mast but could not guarantee a stronger reception.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
188 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
That's disappointing. It is noticeably bad even with a 1080 display. I guess we will have to look forward to ATSC 3...

15681 - 15700 of 15713 Posts