AVS Forum banner

15701 - 15713 of 15713 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Has anyone noticed FOX's video quality to have declined lately? Seems like too much compression maybe due to the extra subchannels? I can really notice it with blurry pixels around the FOX logo during NFL games.
Was there a game in particular you noticed ? or just in general ? Some games seem better than others , but haven't seen a noticeable decline lately. Of course the 1080 stations look better than 720 FOX.

I do notice they use different quality cameras during games.. they'll cut to a camera and it looks horrible, but then to another and all looks fine again.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I assume you already know that all of those networks are available from the D.C. area and that you really do want the Baltimore stations.

Also that you have looked into streaming (e.g. WBAL news is free online).

AFAICT, your antenna is only rated for 45 miles. You are a lot further away - I'm amazed you can get Baltimore reliably (with the lights off). I wonder if replacing it with a longer range antenna (as well as raising it as high as you can, as you have suggested) would help.

I'm going to assume the antenna cable isn't picking up the signal. Then I wonder if you could shield your antenna from your lighting fixtures by placing sheet metal above the lights. But you don't want to overheat the lights by cutting air circulation. I'm not sure what putting a sheet of metal just below the antenna (but not touching or connected to the wires) would do - it might help, or might make things worse.

BTW, chicken wire might work as well as sheet metal. In any event, you could do a quick cheap test with aluminum foil. If that helps, a thicker metal sheet might do better.

At a guess (I could be wrong), wrapping the antenna wire with aluminum foil might help a bit, if the antenna wire is the problem. Or not.
Good luck!
Would be concerned that a large sheet of metal/wire/etc, would cause reflections that could interfere with reception.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Was there a game in particular you noticed ? or just in general ? Some games seem better than others , but haven't seen a noticeable decline lately. Of course the 1080 stations look better than 720 FOX.

I do notice they use different quality cameras during games.. they'll cut to a camera and it looks horrible, but then to another and all looks fine again.
The game on WBFF did not look good yesterday. Of course on a smaller tv it’s hard to tell sometimes. I was watching on my projector and a lot of artifacts could be seen. Flipped over to the Fox app and wow what a difference.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
It seems consistently bad on all recent games on WTTG. Constant blurry pixels around the FOX logo, score panel, player outlines, etc. I just noticed it recently but may have been going on for a while.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Would be concerned that a large sheet of metal/wire/etc, would cause reflections that could interfere with reception.
Yes - which is why it and everything else is only worth trying and might or might not make things better - or worse.

Another thing fairly cheap and easy to try: Replace the lights with incandescents. Start with cheap lamp sockets on a cheap cord, and see if it makes any difference. That is, if you can find incandescent lights any more.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Another thing fairly cheap and easy to try: Replace the lights with incandescents. Start with cheap lamp sockets on a cheap cord, and see if it makes any difference. That is, if you can find incandescent lights any more.
There ARE "RFI safe" LED lights. Check the link in post #15686.

·
Registered
390 Posts

EDIT: Whoops. Double posted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
WDCN-LP has applied to move to channel 8 when they have to go digital. Is there any indication of what type of programming they intend to supply? The station is currently a Franken FM station using Channel 6.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Wonderful!

Do you happen to know whether RFI unsafe bulbs are a big deal for anything other than borderline radio/TV reception cases? I tried to look up "RFI safe" bulbs, and found links to aerospace applications, which perhaps fall in the same category. E.g., could they significantly affect audio/video cable transmission quality even where the source is not a borderline-usable antenna? I've had to route HDMI and analog audio cables to avoid EM interference from other sources. It never occurred to me a light might matter.

I replaced the light bulbs where I live with CFL and LED bulbs some time ago. I have poor radio and TV reception, presumably because I live in a basement, at a terrain low point, and have currently disconnected my antenna. (I had great reception a few miles away, from an attic antenna.) Now you have tempted me to reconnect and test whether turning on the lights affects that reception. (A lost cause - my reception even depends on where people park their vehicles. But it is still an interesting question. It would also be an interesting science fair project for kids, perhaps combined with something else, like home-made antennas.)

·
Registered
390 Posts
Wonderful!

Do you happen to know whether RFI unsafe bulbs are a big deal for anything other than borderline radio/TV reception cases? I tried to look up "RFI safe" bulbs, and found links to aerospace applications, which perhaps fall in the same category. E.g., could they significantly affect audio/video cable transmission quality even where the source is not a borderline-usable antenna? I've had to route HDMI and analog audio cables to avoid EM interference from other sources. It never occurred to me a light might matter.

I replaced the light bulbs where I live with CFL and LED bulbs some time ago. I have poor radio and TV reception, presumably because I live in a basement, at a terrain low point, and have currently disconnected my antenna. (I had great reception a few miles away, from an attic antenna.) Now you have tempted me to reconnect and test whether turning on the lights affects that reception. (A lost cause - my reception even depends on where people park their vehicles. But it is still an interesting question. It would also be an interesting science fair project for kids, perhaps combined with something else, like home-made antennas.)
To answer your first question: Not that I know of. If you want to experiment, turn off all the LED lights and see if VHF (and AM/FM radio) reception improves. Unfortunately, with the "trifecta" of your being in a basement, at a terrain low spot, and having street level obstructions to deal with, don't get your hopes up. Any basement antenna setup needs to be really close to a transmitter (or get a lucky reflection) for reliable reception. Maybe the future switch to ATSC 3.0 will improve your situation.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Thanks, Brian!

I don't expect to live here long enough now to worry about it. Someone should sell a solar powered IR transmitter, that beam the output from a tree-top antenna (we've got lots of tall trees) at a sensor mounted inside a window. I bet that could get something. I seriously though about quietly trying to put a few passive reflectors in the trees, but the landlord said no.

The house used to have cable TV and satellite TV, and there are antenna cables running all over one of the outside (brick) walls (incidentally without any obvious ground wires - I think the nearest ground is on an end-of-block electric pole). I thought about quietly connecting an antenna to one of those wires, but I couldn't figure out what cable went to what. Besides, if lightning struck my antenna, I would be to blame. As for running a cable up to an attic antenna, I can't even convince the landlord to let me run an ethernet cable up to the router - I'm on WiFi.

I guess people who really want to play with OTA pick their home accordingly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yesterday the dissolution of the WMDO-CD/WIAV-CD channel sharing agreement was granted. Today the new one with WDCO-CD was filed:

It is interesting the new CSA only runs through 31 December. That is the same day the WFDC JSA with Univision (which has been in effect since 1 Jan 06) expires. Theoretically Entravision would no longer have any use for WMDO-CD after that date, since it could move whichever of the Univision network affiliations it ends up controlling (presumably UniMas) to WJAL.

This also confirms that Sinclair is starting to convert WIAV-CD to ATSC 3.0 - although it was obvious that is what they were doing, I'm not sure that had shown up in a document submitted to the FCC before today.

·
Registered
100 Posts
WQAW-LD 69.2 is now carrying GetTV in glorious 480i, replacing Infomercials. Switched over sometime since Jan 16 - I've been on the road.

WQAW's 69.2 - 69.5 have the worst, blocky picture quality in the BW area by far. Their Azteca and LX get the lion's share of the bandwidth it would appear.

15701 - 15713 of 15713 Posts