AVS Forum banner

15841 - 15860 of 15906 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
I get WPXW on 66 just not on 60 anymore (I used to get both a few years ago) [...]That actually sounds as if it might be the culprit (only suggested "new" potential problem). Thanks!
I have to second the thought about LTE interference. You never know what kind of localized interference cell towers can create...there's a Verizon tower in downtown Leesburg that completely kills 97.9 FM (!) while driving past.

Interesting about Ion - WWPX (the virtual ch. 60 license) pushed through a very very low powered DRT from Fort Reno (WJLA/WUSA tower) during the digital transition, claiming increased interference from the adjacent Baltimore stations. I had seen the paper but always wondered whether it actually existed. License would have expired sometime in 2013/14, obviously.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You're just a few miles away from me and I suspect a T-Mobile 5G tower is causing some interference, which can be solved with a Channel Master CM-3201 or SiliconDust LPF-608M. In an earlier post you mentioned only receiving stations down to 23, but I'm surprised WNUV, WMAR, and WBFF (RF 25-27) don't come in.

I get WPXW on 66 just not on 60 anymore (I used to get both a few years ago). I used to get WHUT back then too (I still get PBS on 26 and 22).
60 feet was a total guess: it's on a post off of the chimney on top of a 2 ½ story row house.

I think I bought a filter a ways back, but I'm not sure if I installed it or not. Doubtful it would have included a block on the new 600 Mhz wireless band. That actually sounds as if it might be the culprit (only suggested "new" potential problem). Thanks!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well, I finally got some DX from the north. I was able to get a PSIP on WGAL-TV in Lancaster, but no luck on a picture. I really want to get a rooftop antenna set up (my parents won't let me and I'm a broke teen).
Good deal. I saw last night there was some strong tropo all up the east coast on rabbitears.info band scan map, and the dxinfocentre site. But I have the mighty Stealthtenna oriented N-S instead of the usual SE-NE and didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts

·
Registered
17,494 Posts
I know where many, though not all, T-Mobile (and other cellular) sites in the region are located from extensive studying of permitting documents and other public resources. I don't post it publicly lest the wireless guys get attorney-happy about it. If anyone wants to PM me with an address or coordinates, I can tell you what's around.

- Trip

Reactions: n8hoo

·
Registered
661 Posts
WMPB's transmitter is ~12mi to the NW of the other Baltimore stations (Reisterstown) so it's got that little bit of an advantage.
Well that makes it even more off axis for my antenna... Pointed at D.C. which is Magnetic 166 degrees, Most Baltimore stations (which don't get) are 108 degrees, and WMPB is 95 degrees. which makes it more to the side of my antenna and through neighbors roof (townhouse, and attic setup).

Just an oddity.... wish other stations benefited from that kind of bounce/reflection.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Does anyone know if WETA has been doing xmitter or antenna work lately? I'm south of BWI and have never had any problems receiving them but lately its been hit or miss. WETA, WRC, and WPXW have been my 'reliable' DC stations and WRC and WPXW remain reliable. But WETA, not so much lately. They were ok last night but previous nights it was a very weak signal resulting in inability to decode and loss of signal.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Does anyone know if WETA has been doing xmitter or antenna work lately? ...
I didn't observe any problems with WETA and I don't see anything interesting on the Bandscans on rabbitears.info. WETA's signal has been strong and reliable for me since they moved to their new transmitter last year.

Speculating, we had 2" of rain on the 24th. Some moderate tropospheric conditions along the east coast this week (weakening the signal at your location or allowing another RF31 from Philly or Norfolk to interfere.) Or some temporary or new source of interference specific to your location. If you have trees in your path to the transmitters there will always be some random effects from wind movement, moisture, leaves, fat squirrels, etc. Airplane traffic from BWI has noticibly picked up lately and was taking off to the south, strafing my neighborhood, for a few days until this morning, occasionally knocking out some DC stations for a few seconds.

·
Registered
75 Posts
WIAV-CD flipped the switch on 3.0 around 11:15:

One channel 58.1 with TBD in what I assume is 1080i, but I don't really know how to tell just from what VLC reports.

The one PLP:

Code:
$ hdhomerun_config FFFFFFFF get /tuner0/plpinfo
0: sfi=0 mod=qam16 cod=9/15 layer=core ti=cti lls=1 lock=1
Goes to show the robustness of 3.0's modulation scheme as I only rarely picked up the 1.0 signal (at 30 miles and antenna pointed straight at Baltimore), but have solid reception of this one. Even when planes fly over!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Checking in from far Northeast DC... my Sony X900H is receiving WIAV in 3.0 just fine, though the signal level was in the high 70s when it was running 1.0.

It seems like there’s an issue with the caption signal at the moment. The set is also receiving some of the interactive features (STIRR XT and Radio) that are being transmitted in the signal. I’ll need to do some more digging to find out if those streams are transmitted in the ATSC 3.0 signal or if they’re provided OTT via our Internet connection.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Checking in from far Northeast DC... my Sony X900H is receiving WIAV in 3.0 just fine, though the signal level was in the high 70s when it was running 1.0.

It seems like there’s an issue with the caption signal at the moment. The set is also receiving some of the interactive features (STIRR XT and Radio) that are being transmitted in the signal. I’ll need to do some more digging to find out if those streams are transmitted in the ATSC 3.0 signal or if they’re provided OTT via our Internet connection.

View attachment 3115125

View attachment 3115126

View attachment 3115127

View attachment 3115128

View attachment 3115129
Way too weak to pick it up in Frederick. But at least the ball is getting rolling in this area.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The set is also receiving some of the interactive features (STIRR XT and Radio) that are being transmitted in the signal. I’ll need to do some more digging to find out if those streams are transmitted in the ATSC 3.0 signal or if they’re provided OTT via our Internet connection.
Interesting - I think this is the second market where we know they are doing Stirr audio, after Seattle. Those streams are over-the-top so I assume the signal just contains some bootstrapping data for the TV app. In Seattle, where Sinclair actually owns a radio cluster in addition to TV stations, there are plans for simulcasts of those stations directly in the OTA stream.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does anyone know if WETA has been doing xmitter or antenna work lately?
I've not had any issues, but like I said in my post on Tuesday, we've had some intermittent tropo around here over the last few days, and a weak out-of-market signal on RF31 may be causing problems. It's possible that they're doing work, but I remember the last time they were on low power for an extended time (I believe it was summer 2019), I couldn't get the signal at all, so it's probably not.

EDIT: it's already been answered, my bad

·
Registered
17,494 Posts
Interesting - I think this is the second market where we know they are doing Stirr audio, after Seattle. Those streams are over-the-top so I assume the signal just contains some bootstrapping data for the TV app. In Seattle, where Sinclair actually owns a radio cluster in addition to TV stations, there are plans for simulcasts of those stations directly in the OTA stream.
I dumped out the files (since I have the Dev unit) and I don't actually see anything included, not even a pointer, but I'm not sure how abstracted away the HDHR actually is or if there's something being filtered out. I'll have to ask.

What did catch my eye though is that the manifest.xml file seems to imply the video is actually in 1080p.

<Representation bandwidth="7500000" codecs="hvc1.2.4.L123.11" frameRate="60000/1001" height="1080" id="Video1_1" sar="1:1" scanType="Progressive" width="1920">

- Trip

·
Registered
143 Posts
Great minds think alike. ;-)

Seeing some tropo effects as I type this. WHUT RF33 is knocked out. Unusually strong WMJF RF23 signal with antenna pointed the wrong way. Nothing from out of area, though.

I've not had any issues, but like I said in my post on Tuesday, we've had some intermittent tropo around here over the last few days, and a weak out-of-market signal on RF31 may be causing problems. It's possible that they're doing work, but I remember the last time they were on low power for an extended time (I believe it was summer 2019), I couldn't get the signal at all, so it's probably not.

EDIT: it's already been answered, my bad

·
Registered
38 Posts
Great minds think alike. ;-)

Seeing some tropo effects as I type this. WHUT RF33 is knocked out. Unusually strong WMJF RF23 signal with antenna pointed the wrong way. Nothing from out of area, though.

Thanks for the replies. I wanted to see if its me or them. Tropo effects can be weird but I find it strange that WRC (RF 34) and WPXW (RF 35) are great whereas WETA (RF 31) is troublesome - all of them high power and high antennas. My antenna is pointed towards DC so I "see" WMJF but can almost never decode them (no loss on my part). WHUT, because of their low power (100 kW according to RabbitEars) has always been difficult for me to receive.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
WTXF Philadelphia is on RF 31, so if there's a boost favoring signals from the Philly area it can wipe out reception of WETA.

WPPX Wilmington is also on RF 34, but they are at reduced power while they deal with engineering design issues related to their final post-repack mount, so there would have to be massive boost for it to currently cause issues with WRC. Their final signal will also be highly directional with a north/south pattern to protect other RF 34 channels like WRC.

The RF 35 in Philly is the 15 kW WFPA-CD, so there would have to be some extreme boost conditions for it to affect WPXW.

15841 - 15860 of 15906 Posts