AVS Forum banner

15861 - 15880 of 15906 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I dumped out the files (since I have the Dev unit) and I don't actually see anything included, not even a pointer, but I'm not sure how abstracted away the HDHR actually is or if there's something being filtered out. I'll have to ask.

What did catch my eye though is that the manifest.xml file seems to imply the video is actually in 1080p.

<Representation bandwidth="7500000" codecs="hvc1.2.4.L123.11" frameRate="60000/1001" height="1080" id="Video1_1" sar="1:1" scanType="Progressive" width="1920">

- Trip
I disconnected the TV from the Internet and the interactive features became unavailable, so I think it’s pretty clear that the content is delivered Over-the-Top. The app itself (or maybe my set) is really slow and glitchy.

I’m seeing the video stream as 1080i. Gotta love the content on TBD... 🙄

·
Registered
90 Posts
I disconnected the TV from the Internet and the interactive features became unavailable, so I think it’s pretty clear that the content is delivered Over-the-Top. The app itself (or maybe my set) is really slow and glitchy.

I’m seeing the video stream as 1080i. Gotta love the content on TBD... 🙄
View attachment 3115185
I'm getting HDR using the HDHomeRun app on an LG OLED and Silicon Dust tuner. I think its 1080p.

·
Registered
17,494 Posts
VLC is telling me the video is 1080. The manifest.xml file appears to indicate it's progressive, but I have no way of knowing if I'm interpreting that properly. I need to read the ATSC 3.0 standards, if I ever find the time.

- Trip

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
VLC uses FFmpeg to decode HEVC, which doesn't currently support interlaced HEVC, so if it were 1080i, the video would show up as a squished 1920x540p image on VLC and other software powered by FFmpeg like FFplay, Kodi and Plex.

·
Registered
17,494 Posts
VLC uses FFmpeg to decode HEVC, which doesn't currently support interlaced HEVC, so if it were 1080i, the video would show up as a squished 1920x540p image on VLC and other software powered by FFmpeg like FFplay, Kodi and Plex.
I've heard conflicting things about that, so I'm not really clear if that's always the case or not.

- Trip

·
Registered
42 Posts
You're just a few miles away from me and I suspect a T-Mobile 5G tower is causing some interference, which can be solved with a Channel Master CM-3201 or SiliconDust LPF-608M. In an earlier post you mentioned only receiving stations down to 23, but I'm surprised WNUV, WMAR, and WBFF (RF 25-27) don't come in.
Thanks for the specific recommendations! And happy there's something of a consensus that makes sense.

Channels, hmm, not sure everything's been clear with that so here's a list of what I get:

2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 20, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 31, 44, 45, 47, 50, 54, 58 (currently not available), 66, 68
(And subchannels for those, obviously)

·
Registered
LG GX65 - Sonos Playbar/Play:1s/Boost - Apple TV4K - OPPO BDP83 - BDI Avion Noir with Arena Mount
51 Posts
Has anyone seen a timetable for the roll out (and participating stations in the DC area) for ATSC 3.0 NextGen TV? As a cord cutter, without cable TV (but very fast Verizon FIOS internet only), it would be great to watch the upcoming Tokyo Olympics over-the-air on NBC in 4K120 HDR on my new LG GX65 OLED. I read that ATSC 3.0 in the DC is one of the regions scheduled to roll out this summer.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Read the past few pages. The "good" news is ATSC 3.0 already launched in DC, the "bad" news, it's just Sinclair's Class A station WIAV-CD showing a 1080p version of TBD on RF 30 along with internet delivered content from their streaming service STIRR.

Baltimore is slated to get it this summer via WNUV's RF 25, but because of Sinclair playing shenanigans once again by trying to get around the 95% coverage requirement for the ATSC 1.0 simulcasts, their current plan isn't going to get an expedited approval from the FCC like other rollouts. (San Antonio's rollout is being delayed for similar reasons)

Don't hold your breath on 4K anytime soon. The ATSC 3.0 rollout is nothing like ATSC 1.0 where stations all had seperate digital signals to co-exist with their analog signals. Instead the stations in a given market get together and pick one station to convert to ATSC 3.0 and share that signal for at least 5 years, so there isn't enough bandwidth for 4K when 4-5 HD stations will be sharing one signal. NBC's 4K olympics coverage will likely be cable/sat/FiOS only like previous years, with the possibility of 4K streaming via the NBC Sports app on some Smart TV platforms.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You receive great reception. WHUT, virtual channel 32, is the only one missing from the DC and Balto markets.

Thanks for the specific recommendations! And happy there's something of a consensus that makes sense.

Channels, hmm, not sure everything's been clear with that so here's a list of what I get:

2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 20, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 31, 44, 45, 47, 50, 54, 58 (currently not available), 66, 68
(And subchannels for those, obviously)

·
Registered
LG GX65 - Sonos Playbar/Play:1s/Boost - Apple TV4K - OPPO BDP83 - BDI Avion Noir with Arena Mount
51 Posts
Read the past few pages. The "good" news is ATSC 3.0 already launched in DC, the "bad" news, it's just Sinclair's Class A station WIAV-CD showing a 1080p version of TBD on RF 30 along with internet delivered content from their streaming service STIRR.

Baltimore is slated to get it this summer via WNUV's RF 25, but because of Sinclair playing shenanigans once again by trying to get around the 95% coverage requirement for the ATSC 1.0 simulcasts, their current plan isn't going to get an expedited approval from the FCC like other rollouts. (San Antonio's rollout is being delayed for similar reasons)

Don't hold your breath on 4K anytime soon. The ATSC 3.0 rollout is nothing like ATSC 1.0 where stations all had seperate digital signals to co-exist with their analog signals. Instead the stations in a given market get together and pick one station to convert to ATSC 3.0 and share that signal for at least 5 years, so there isn't enough bandwidth for 4K when 4-5 HD stations will be sharing one signal. NBC's 4K olympics coverage will likely be cable/sat/FiOS only like previous years, with the possiblity of 4K streaming via the NBC Sports app on some Smart TV platforms.
Thanks! Did a retune, and now get 58.1 in 1080p, my first ATSC 3.0 channel. Hopefully more will come over time. Sorry I didn’t do more searching before posting a question...

·
Registered
42 Posts
You receive great reception. WHUT, virtual channel 32, is the only one missing from the DC and Balto markets.
Thanks, yes, it's important to have the Jewelry channel, QVC, etc. /sarc
Yeah, WHUT is the only one I'm missing, but I'd watch that one! Lots of new(er) channels from a few years ago, but missing (I can't remember the name of it) low powered station (from Fairfax maybe) that had a bunch of subchannels in different languages, but I only ever used it for RAI (Italian) and they stopped broadcasting over the air long before that station that carried it did.
I asked a lot of questions here before getting the antenna I did--great resource here (and recommendations!)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Last month WHUT was granted a construction permit to increase their power from 100 kW to 416 kW, so whenever they finish that, it should improve WHUT for you. It's using the same tower and antenna they have now, so hopefully it shouldn't take too long before they get whatever transmitter parts are needed to implement the power increase.

WHUT and PBS Kids also have free livestreams via the PBS app and their websites, so that's another option.

·
Registered
17,494 Posts
Lots of new(er) channels from a few years ago, but missing (I can't remember the name of it) low powered station (from Fairfax maybe) that had a bunch of subchannels in different languages, but I only ever used it for RAI (Italian) and they stopped broadcasting over the air long before that station that carried it did.
WNVT/WNVC sold off the stations' spectrum in the Incentive Auction and have been gone for a few years. A while later, MHz Networks which provided the programming ceased OTA operation altogether and is now streaming-only.

- Trip

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Also, WNVT and WNVC still exist on the books as the .3 subchannels of WCVE Richmond and WHTJ Charlottesville now carying the World Channel after MHz Worldview ceased. Their new community of licenses Spotsylvania and Culpeper are still technically part of the DC-Hagerstown DMA, but because their host stations are in Richmond and Charlottesville, no one in metro DC can pick them up, which is now a moot point after the switch to World Channel which is already available in DC via WETA 26-4.

They still qualify for must carry status on cable and satellite in the DC market, but the rules are the station must supply an alternative source if the OTA signal is out of range of the receive facilities, which they have no interest in doing after MHz cashed out and gave the licenses to Virginia Public Media.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Noticed a big jump in my SNR from WIAV-CD this morning:

Modulation changed to QPSK/4-QAM from 16-QAM. And the SS is the lowest it's ever been...

Code:
$ hdhomerun_config FFFFFFFF get /tuner0/plpinfo
0: sfi=0 mod=qpsk cod=7/15 layer=core ti=cti lls=1 lock=1
With someone on the mailbag just reporting that they were able to decode the 16-QAM signal at 52 miles (!), I wonder how robust it is now...

·
Registered
17,494 Posts
The bitrate is now 3-3.5 Mbps for WIAV-CD.

At QPSK and 7/15, I can't say for certain without knowing the exact settings, but the minimum SNR is in the 4 dB range.

- Trip

Reactions: n8hoo
15861 - 15880 of 15906 Posts