AVS Forum banner

15881 - 15900 of 15906 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
I'm picking up WIAV this morning, for the first time ever! Here's what the "Show stats" option in Channels looks like:

It looks pretty good for ~1Mbps.

·
Registered
697 Posts
WIAV still working in Laurel... several hours and not a hint of breakup. I dunno how to access anything but the basic TBD stream, though.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I also picked up 150.3 (about a day after pkpaul posted), but this morning they were both back to "Weak Signal".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sinclair has lit up its ATSC 3.0 cell phone test channel 24 from the top of the Sinclair HQ building in Hunt Valley, MD. It's very low power, but it's only temporary and designed to test the One Media cell phone (not yet commercially available) which has an actual ATSC 3.0 tuner chip and antenna in it to receive live broadcast TV. When the test is over, channel 24 will switch to channel 25 and be part of Baltimore's NextGen SFN system that launches on June 8.

·
Registered
17,494 Posts
When the test is over, channel 24 will switch to channel 25 and be part of Baltimore's NextGen SFN system that launches on June 8.
There is no solid information to back up this timeline. They say it will ultimately be part, but it seems unlikely that it would launch on June 8 as such. I suspect they'll add it at a later date.

- Trip

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is no solid information to back up this timeline. They say it will ultimately be part, but it seems unlikely that it would launch on June 8 as such. I suspect they'll add it at a later date.

- Trip
I'm only reading their own attachments. Whether it will be on channel 25 on June 8, I agree might be unlikely, but clearly they have set this up for that purpose in addition to the One Media phone testing on channel 24. This also means WWDD-LD will not likely be received in a good chunk of Baltimore County until they turn this channel 24 or switch it to 25.

·
Registered
75 Posts
WRZB-LD has dropped the 3 Katz subchannels that are now duplicated with WPXW (31.1 CourtTV, 31.2 Mystery and 31.3 Laff)...according to the bandscanners 31.1 is blank "ComingS[oon]" while the other two are missing. 31.4/5 are still there.

Also, the mailbag has a picture of WTTG's new antenna getting lifted onto the River Road tower. Probably it'll be lit up soon.

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
WRZB-LD has dropped the 3 Katz subchannels that are now duplicated with WPXW (31.1 CourtTV, 31.2 Mystery and 31.3 Laff)...according to the bandscanners 31.1 is blank "ComingS[oon]" while the other two are missing. 31.4/5 are still there.

Also, the mailbag has a picture of WTTG's new antenna getting lifted onto the River Road tower. Probably it'll be lit up soon.
What is the story with the WTTG antenna? Did they not change with the repack? I remember hearing something about the tower being an issue.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
WTTG didn't change RF numbers during the repack, their digital signal has always been on RF 36, even during the DTV transition. They're switching from a horizontal to an elipitcal model antenna and moving to a tower in Bethesda. (The same tower that has WPXW). The change in site is likely because their current tower is at their studio in DC (where they have been located since the MetroMedia days), and they are in the process of relocating their operations to a new office tower in Bethesda.

Manufacturers were already running behind with the repack, and the pandemic made things worse since the manufactuer of their antenna Dielectric had to temporarily shutdown their factory because of an outbreak among workers. They have until 2022 to complete the work in their construction permit, but considering that the antenna lift is happening now, and as long as all the on the ground work in the transmitter building is complete, they should be able to start testing it in the near future.

·
Registered
75 Posts
FWIW I also remember Trip saying something about structural issues with the DC tower, though it would seem that just sped up the timeline instead of being the reason.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Some potent tropo effects this morning around 7am, especially on the VHF bands. Saw WDPN (RF2) and WACP (RF4) for the first time. WPVI (RF6) and WHYY (RF13) also coming in strong and might be the last to fade. WMBC (RF18) and KYW (RF30) seen, also, from the Philly area.

WBFF was knocked out or a while by another RF26 which was a first for me - was how I noticed something was going on up there. It's just 13 miles away.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Woo! First tropo opening of the year. There is an Class A on RF 26 (WQAV-CD) in the Philly market so that's the likely culprit. I lost WBFF around 7:00 and it still isn't back.

Right now still have WNJS in on RF 23 over both Daystar stations. Earlier saw WCVW (common) and WLFL (first time), as well as WHYY-TV and WPHL.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think I was able to get the last catch of this opening, had a solid 70% on WPHL for almost a half hour, I plan to upload it (sorta like what Ryan Grabow does) if anyone would like a link sometime later. The tropo's also been incredibly strong from here to Baltimore. On a day with no tropo, I can't pick up baltimore stations, besides MPT, but I'm getting 80-99% on all stations. The weird thing is that the DX info centre says we should be experiencing little to no tropo right now
vlcsnap-2021-04-20-09h08m03s423.png

·
Registered
143 Posts
9am rescan had things looking back to normal for me other than WTTG and WHUT still cancelled out. I added WPHL and WLNY to the list. And maybe a weak WMDE - tuner saw something on RF5 and saw 36.x but never got a lock on it.

---

In other news, or lack there-of, Twist has not yet made it onto WQAW. WMJF's H&I has been showing a test pattern for the past two weeks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The tropo's starting to fade away now, WUTB is no longer coming in strong enough to decode, and WDWA-CD (or maybe WDDN-LD) is trying to come in, but I don't have the antenna pointed in the right direction. I really need to mount an antenna outside soon...

·
Registered
6 Posts
The tropo's starting to fade away now, WUTB is no longer coming in strong enough to decode, and WDWA-CD (or maybe WDDN-LD) is trying to come in, but I don't have the antenna pointed in the right direction. I really need to mount an antenna outside soon...
WBFF was off the air apparently. If you lose WBFF, you lose WUTB, same antenna/transmitter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Something that will soon happen that I posted about on BaltoMedia.net. Scripps will be yanking all the Katz Broadcasting networks that they just purchased off of all non-Scripps owned stations in various markets to put on Scripps stations for free instead of paying for the transmission. This affects both DC and Baltimore as both now have Scripps owned stations, WMAR and WPXW/WWPX. As for WMJF, they probably don't even know H&I is gone. I think master control is in Florida and there's virtually no way to contact them. So good luck on that.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
That was revealed back in September when Scripps detailed their plans to purchase Ion, and it's not so much of an immediate nationwide "yanking", it's more of them not renewing contracts as they expire over the next 5 years. i.e. Univision's (and Entravision's) contracts for the Katz networks don't expire until August 2024. So far it only happened with the ABC O&O's, who were the launch partners for Laff 6 years ago, while later this summer their deal with Nexstar's original stations expire, which will affect WDVM Hagerstown. The ex-Tribune stations have a different expiration date, but that doesn't apply to WDCW who dropped everything except for Antenna TV when they needed to make room for WFDC, so they never made a deal for CourtTV like many of the other ex-Tribune stations did.

In the meantime they already launched the ones with non-exclusive deals on the Ion stations at the end of February when they pulled the plug on Qubo, Ion Plus and Ion Shop.

The next thing to lookout for DC and Baltimore will be this summer when Scripps launches their two new diginets, and then in October when they relaunch Newsy as a diginet.

15881 - 15900 of 15906 Posts