AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently did a scan on my Sony 34 HD set with integrated tuner. It picked up channel 80.3. It shows all kinds of PBS stuff in georgous HD. But there is no station logo. Can anyone else get this? I can't get it on my Dish 6000 receiver with the OTA module.

Weird, but cool!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm getting a fairly good signal, and the best HDTV picture of any channel at any time!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
J. Mike Ferrara

Channel 80-3 is a PBS high definition feed the plan going forword is no matter where you go if you tune to channel 80-3 you can pick up a PBS feed. The point being that you do not need to know what the local PBS channel designation is.

Where I live in New Jersey 43-3 iWNJT s my local PBS digital station but if you were to come here and tune to 80-3 you will pick up the same programming that is on 43-3 WNJT and national programming as well.

Hope this answers your question

·
Registered
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wward
J. Mike Ferrara

Channel 80-3 is a PBS high definition feed the plan going forword is no matter where you go if you tune to channel 80-3 you can pick up a PBS feed. The point being that you do not need to know what the local PBS channel designation is.

Where I live in New Jersey 43-3 iWNJT s my local PBS digital station but if you were to come here and tune to 80-3 you will pick up the same programming that is on 43-3 WNJT and national programming as well.

Hope this answers your question
I'm not sure this is true. My STB won't even allow me to set it to channel 80, since that's out of range for DTV on UHF. I thought the 80-3 was simply a mistake due to the way PBS is currently encoding their channel information. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere else that it would be fixed in the future.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hampster
I thought the 80-3 was simply a mistake due to the way PBS is currently encoding their channel information.
There would be a huge problem if two stations had the same channel mapping. To make sure this would never happen, the PBS national feed uses a channel map that would never be duplicated by another station. The local PBS station is expected to replace the map with one that is valid for their channel assignment. If the station doesn't have the equipment to do this and the channel map is passed, it wouldn't be correct but there also wouldn't be any conflict. No, it is not a mistake.

·
Registered
A Samsung 65" QLED UHD TV... Onkyo AV Receiver... Polk Audio Surround Sound Speakers...
1,182 Posts
Maryland Public Broadcasting is not sending any PSIP right now. That is why the channel maps to the PSIP info direct from PBS. When MPB starts using PSIP, I would assume that this channel will map to 22-?.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.