AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The delay in sound when watching this channel makes it almost unwatchable. Does anyone else have this problem or is it a function of my system (HTPC with a HiPix HDTV card) and how I am decoding the audio (with digital pass from the HiPix to Pioneer receiver where it is decoded)

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Hmm, I haven't noticed this problem lately, to tell you the truth. I happen to have about seven hours of accessDTV recordings to watch from the last few weeks of Law & Order, West Wing and Law & Order SVU... if you have anything specific for any of those three shows I'll keep my eyes (and ears) peeled...

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
maybe its just the SDTV transmissions - don't know I will check tonight on the HDTV - but it is awful for SDTV - just checked on whatever was on right now (daytime Rosie whatever) sounds the same as all other times with a hugh delay on the sound

Even if its just for SDTV its a problem as I would prefer the enhanced audio if it were watchable

Update - it is definitely relatted to the upconverting process as I noticed today that Fear Factor in HDTV is perfectly synched.

Seems strange that I am forced to watch the Baltimore station for lip sync while people in the Batimore area are tuning to DC for the picture quality of WRC

·
Registered
63 Posts
According to the engineer at WBAL-TV in Baltimore, the lip sync problem is NBC's, not the local station's. The poor sync comes that way over the network feed.

I found it interesting that watching the Preakness, the DTV sync was good, but when they had a P-in-P of the STV material, the sync within that STV box was off by a huge amount.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
According to the engineer at WBAL-TV in Baltimore, the lip sync problem is NBC's, not the local station's. The poor sync
But its the lip sync content on upconverted shows that is off for me - eg normal daytime shows and non-HDTV; and I don't see the problem on the Baltimore NBC affiliate; just the WDC broadcasts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I can't comment. WBAL-DT in Baltimore is unwatchable for STV because they stretch the picture to fit. Yuch! But there are no sound sync problems that I've noticed on the upconverted STV material. And I can't receive the DC stations with my fixed attic antenna, pointed at TV Hill.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.