AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1587 Posts

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
This entire thread is limited to the MSTV guide and that is what jeff is talking about (he refers to it as the msft guide).

Some avsforum members are Comcast employees.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I understand he referred to the msft guide - in the Seattle area we've been told it is not available till next week, and then only on the 6412. If your bit about Comcast employees holds true then I assume Jeff is one and they have some possibly in test mode among employees

·
Registered
113 Posts

Quote:
Will the DVR degrade my HDTV picture or sound quality at all? I assume that the signal is being compressed and decompressed on the fly - is this correct, and if so does it cause any noticeable artifacts?

I assume that digital cable channels (including all HDTV channels) are recorded directly to disk byte-for-byte without being recompressed. Analog cable channels would have to be digitized and compressed on the fly. Can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Fun Stuff.. I also can't wait to get my hands on this thing

Thanks OP for adding a FAQ at the first post of the thread..!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Last key from search results - yup, we know about it. An unfortunate side effect of decisions made LONG ago.

HDTV quality and channel change perf - the HD stream (and any digital channel) goes right to disk. When we tune, we grab it from live so we change channels faster than waiting for it to play off disk. I suspect that one reason this might be a little slower than on a non-DVR box is that there's some perf hit in starting and stopping recordings (buffers) on channel changes, even if we aren't playing from them. The video and audio being slow, however, sounds like it might be more of a signal strength issue since audio and video are usually right at the same time -- all of that stuff is between the firmware and the cable network, we don't do much of anything to affect this.

Managed content - No, this means that if you're "surfing" the news/info site that Comcast manages, that tuner is being used to receive the data and thus cannot be used for recording. You can be recording two shows while navigating the UI.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by RScottyL
I just wanted to say that I am here in Irving, Texas, and I went to my local Comcast facility this morning and upgraded my box. I currently have an analog tv, but my old digital cable box did not have SVHS out. I just was unhappy with the picture quality, knowing that there was at least one step up I could use.

Anyway, I called Comcast yesterday to see if it would be possible to upgrade, and they said yes...just bring in the old box. So, I went in this morning and walked out with a 6412,

You are in the wrong thread. Please repost in the 6412 with iGuide thread (also a stickie). I will delete your post tonight so you have some time to copy it and put it in a post in the other thread.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
re: your comment about search

Actually, I need to modify my response. The program info in the top part of the screen updates to show you the descriptions of the shows you are rolling over in search results so you can see the info on the teams playing without going to the info screen. From info, hitting the last key does take you back to the top of the search results (that's the part I replied about) instead of the position you had selected.

From the grid, hit info on something, then hit "last" to go back to where you were in the grid. You can also hit the info key again and retain your position in the grid. You get to see the program description when you roll over items in the grid.

Thus, your described scenario is addressed in 1.7 today, with the minor exception I noted above.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
fyi - I just updated the "FEQ"

·
Registered
198 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by shannonv
re: your comment about search

The program info in the top part of the screen updates to show you the descriptions of the shows you are rolling over in search results

OK, I just hadn't noticed that somehow... I guess I was just not looking for that. Thank you for letting me know. You guys did a fabulous job on this guide and I can't wait for it to be rolled out market-wide so everyone can enjoy it.

·
Registered
298 Posts

Quote:

From the 'FEQ': Yes, for digital channels (HD or SD) the programming stream is recorded directly to disk with re-encoding.

Shouldn't this be without re-encoding? That's what it seems to indicate in your post (#25) above.

·
Registered
298 Posts

Quote:

At one point in the 'FEQ' it states, "Can I transfer recordings to DVD or my PC? No, this is not supported." Later on in the 'FEQ' it states, "Can I connect a 1394 display or DVHS VCR? Yes, however displays connected over 1394 will not display the user interface."

I'm assuming this means that programming can be recorded live to a DVHS unit, but programming cannot be transferred from the hard drive to the DVHS unit. Is this interpretation correct? Any clarification is appreciated.

·
Registered
66 Posts
So who has actually seen or played with this box?

The Comcast CSR I talked to had just received his 6412 with MSFT 1.7 (that was Monday, 11/8). We scheduled our install for 11/15 in the AM. We're on Mercer Island. Sound like there isn't too much problem with supply, yet (then again, we called for install before the King5 story)? Anyone else able to get their hands on the actual box, apart from Comcast employees?

We do love Tivo... but I'm looking forward to the HD upgrade. Our SD Tivo looks like hell on our new LCD HD screen... and I'm hoping that the HD channels will, at least, look a bit better.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I called Comcast the day after the King5 story-- and my install appointment is on this coming Tuesday, Nov 16th-we live in Magnolia.

I am am an active RePlay TV user- 2 boxes and using DVArchive and 4 PCs on my home network- I have archived over 800GB of shows. But, I recently upgraded my TV to a Panasonic 42" HDTV- and I am not able to time swap any HDTV content (RePlay, as TiVO, converts all signals to analog).

So I will probably double-record most HDTV content- once on a RePlay, and once on the Moto 6412 box. Therefore, if I run out of space to view a show on the 6412 in HiDef and it gets over-written by a newer show, I will still have it available on a RePlay.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi Burger,

Your idea of using two boxes is not a bad one. Our Tivo is one of the models with free "basic" service and it might be worthwhile to keep it set up with basic cable for the same purpose. Since it is free... that is. Good suggestion.

My biggest worry with the Moto 6412 is the space -- 14 to 16 hours of HDTV content probably isn't enough... although it will do.

Has anyone seen these Maxtor extra drives for DVRs? If Comcast / MSFT have their stuff together, they will add this functionality to the 6412 ASAP. I'd pay $$$ for extra space... whether buying the hardware or leasing it from somebody...

Maxtor QuickView Expander -- an external drive... http://www4.maxtor.com/en/products/a...w_info_req.cfm

This drive can connected by Firewire, SATA serial or USB.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I have one and it works well. However, my next step is to try and archive. My theory is that this is possible by playing the target to be archived and recording via firewire to the PC using the info in the "How to record via 1394 firewire" thread. This could be done overnight.

·
Registered
298 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Crescent
However, my next step is to try and archive.

Please keep us posted on what you discover!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Is an instruction brochure available supplied with the 6412? It would help ease the changeover.

Somewhere I read how to key in the 30 sec. skip, I'm sure it was on the 6412 but I didn't copy it down at the time, my bad. Anyone know of this??

·
Registered
298 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by nodrog2
Somewhere I read how to key in the 30 sec. skip, I'm sure it was on the 6412 but I didn't copy it down at the time, my bad. Anyone know of this??

From the first post:

30 second skip is supported by the core FE platform but most MSOs do not enable it and there is no hidden code to enable it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Oops, that was a typo. It should have said "without" as you suggest. I'll fix it in the next rev. In short, it is a direct digital recording WITHOUT re-encoding for any digital channel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My guide on my non-pvr motorola box just switched over to the MSTV guide.

I'm getting the PVR...err...DVR on Monday-but I'm happy just have this new guide layout in the mean time. seeing things 90 minutes at a time and having the cutaway of the show I'm watching is a big improvement over what I was used to (the old tan guide).

Hey Comcast/MS people, can anyone explain how conflict resolution will work with the DVR? Also, how does series recording work?

21 - 40 of 1587 Posts