AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1587 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
It looks like the "Smart Series" feature is the same as the Tivo "Season Pass" - the other cool feature of Tivo is the 'Wish List".

Does MSTV have this too?

·
Registered
66 Posts
From what I've heard from the Comcast reps I've talked to, the MSFT guide does not have wishlists. That's fine with me... so long as series recording (aka season pass) works as well as it does on the Tivo.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Can anyone tell us what different bit rates will be encountered in recording Comcast programs? Is there any consistency within types (1080i, 720p, analog, etc.)? Will the SD programs broadcast on the HD channels require the same disk space as HD?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I guess two more days and we'll be finding out

·
Registered
577 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by wareagle
Will the SD programs broadcast on the HD channels require the same disk space as HD?

Depends upon how it's encoded. If it's constant bit rate, then yes they could broadcast a black screen with no audio for the entire duration of the program and it would still take the same amount of bandwidth as something active. If it's variable bit rate, and it's a 4:3 aspect ratio program (which hasn't been stretched/zoomed), that leaves about ¼ of the picture area unused, which could theoretically allow the encoder to scale the bitrate back a bit (or else provide a better quality picture on that which is active), but not by much. However, if it's a widescreen SD source (or stretched/zoomed), that SD picture has been upconverted to HD and has as many pixels assigned to it as true HD would, so it would take just as much bandwidth.

Quote:
Originally posted by WiFi-Spy
I have heard INHD 1&2 and DHDT and I think ESPN have the highest bitrates (like 30Mbs+)

while the locals have around 20Mbs.....

The maximum ATSC-spec bitrate is 19.363mbps, and on a 256QAM channel, there's just enough room for 2 at that bitrate. 30+mbps would only allow one HD channel per QAM channel, which would be no better use of bandwidth than analog.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Moorebid

The maximum ATSC-spec bitrate is 19.363mbps, and on a 256QAM channel, there's just enough room for 2 at that bitrate. 30+mbps would only allow one HD channel per QAM channel, which would be no better use of bandwidth than analog.

I was just going off of what CapDVHS tells you what bit rate its recording at.......

·
Registered
577 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by WiFi-Spy
I was just going off of what CapDVHS tells you what bit rate its recording at.......

DVHS tops out at 28mbps, but very few sources are available to make use of all that (that being, other DVHS-originals). If it's giving you numbers in the 30's, it's lying to you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Comcast is at our house right now installing our Motorola 6412/MSFT. Very much looking forward to this box and the HD experience. Now I just have to get all my "Season Passes" transferred over.

Comcast tech was very knowledgeable and seems to be doing a good job. He knew how to hook up the DVI to the LCD, and how to get the Optical cable hooked up to the receiver (I'm not home yet... ugh-work... and my wife wants to watch TV throughout the day).

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Mine's up and running. There was an initial problem with not being able to tune digital channels, but this was due to some coding problem in my account for the new box. When this was corrected, the box started working properly.

The tech said the analog channels will look like crap because they are devoting all their efforts to moving them to the digital side in six months. So they didn't spend any time on getting the analog channels to look better.

·
Registered
66 Posts
We're apparently having some initial startup box problems, as well. We are getting all the digital and HD channels, but the box is having problems downloading updates. Apparently some issue with grounding? or so the tech thinks. We can't record anything yet... so now we just have a fancy HDTV tuner w/o recording capability. At least we're moving in the right direction.

In addition, there is apparently some issue with HD local channels looking like crap if the show isn't native HD. ("white fuzz" across the top of the screen?). The tech says that it is that way for everyone... Oh well ;-).

·
Registered
911 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by platbr
Comcast tech was very knowledgeable and seems to be doing a good job. He knew how to hook up the DVI to the LCD, and how to get the Optical cable hooked up to the receiver (I'm not home yet... ugh-work... and my wife wants to watch TV throughout the day).

Comcast NJ - Union/Verona

Stop the press!!! Wow, the tech was really able to hook up DVI and an optical cable?

No way!

Useless post, I know, but I couldn't resist the temptation.

·
Registered
66 Posts

Quote:
Stop the press!!! Wow, the tech was really able to hook up DVI and an optical cable?

OK... perhaps I am easily impressed. It did involve removing various panels from the LCD, re-routing optical cables, and messing with various non-Comcast equipment. And based on my prior experience with Comcast... I'm still impressed. I'll be more impressed if they solve the problems that are keeping the box from recording anything.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
cyberized

This thread is for those with a 6412 box- but with the new MSTV Foundation Edition 1.7 software. Currently, Comcast is only rolling this out in greater Seattle.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Techs usually just line up the old box with the new and move the cables from the old one to the new one, so they don't get the cables wrong.

My tech commented that I had every single cable connection hooked up, as if that isn't normal.

I tested recording part of the Haunted Mansion on Starz HD, and it recorded fine, complete with the DD 5.1.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I am having mine installed tomorrow morning. I really appreciate the comments of those of you that are having yours installed today-- kind of gives me a heads up on what to watch for.

The non-HDTV snowy channels is an interesting issue. I split my incoming signal- one to the Cable Box, the other to my RePlay Box. I guess that I can watch the non-HDTV channels through the RePlay (which, of course, converts the digital signal to analog). This will only work the the incoming signal is clean- but the cable box is screwing it up. What do you find?

There has been a discussion on one of the other threads about "old" and "new" remotes-- and the swap function. Any issues with this? Is the remote "Silver"?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Ok.. I was the 1st install of the morning and so far, I have to say that I am not impressed by the interface, guide, etc. It feels clunky, the guide doesn't display nearly enough area and you loose a big area of the screen for advertizing. Compared to Microsoft's Dishplayer and Ultimate TV interface, this is a complete let down. I've tried the signal through component and Firewire.. Both have a similar "visual feel" to them. Image quality compared to DirecTV is sub-par.

Thx,

Vidkidd

·
Registered
71 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by vidkidd
Ok.. I was the 1st install of the morning and so far, I have to say that I am not impressed by the interface, guide, etc. It feels clunky, the guide doesn't display nearly enough area and you loose a big area of the screen for advertizing. Compared to Microsoft's Dishplayer and Ultimate TV interface, this is a complete let down. I've tried the signal through component and Firewire.. Both have a similar "visual feel" to them. Image quality compared to DirecTV is sub-par.

Thx,

Vidkidd

When you say image quality is sub-par compared to Directv is this on analog or HD channels?

41 - 60 of 1587 Posts