AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just have to post this, this being my 5000th post and all..:)

I have in stock a minty 9500 LC in stock, 0 hours on the tubes, retubed with new E'home/MEC tubes with the magnetics installed and calibrated by the factory (gotta love it!)

While the set isn't 100% dialled in, I figure I'm about 90% of the way there, and the image with an NEC IPS 4000Q quadrupler looks sweeeeeett!

I've demoed the projector twice to a local customer, who came over tonight with the family to confirm that this projector _still_ walks all over the high end $15K DLP they looked at today at a local high end store. (Yay!)

So about 1/2 hour into auditioning this set, all of a sudden I get a green screen with retrace lines. The ^&%$^&%$ green video CRT card gave out right in the middle of the %$*&^* demo!

I swear I'd run the set about 20 hours during convergence and alignment, and I've watched about 4 movies on this set, and run it all day at low brightness to prevent these type of things from happening.

Luckily, the customer was very understanding, and took it all in stride.

I'm sure this has happened to almost all resellers that post here, I just had to share this one!

Curt

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Curt Palme
.... The ^&%$^&%$ green video CRT card.....

Curt
I have been looking up and down my latest parts lists all afternoon, and cannot find any reference to that part number.... :)

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tim
I have been looking up and down my latest parts lists all afternoon, and cannot find any reference to that part number.... :)
I think you'll only find that P/N in Curt's parts list, at least for tonight...it may end up on someone else's list at a later date!

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, but once I'm done with it, it turns into a !!!! part number, repaired and modded...

Curt

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Curt

I've sold about 6 PJs here and I had a very similar problem once with a Marquee shutting down and restarting. Go figure. I tested and tested and tested yet it had to happen when potential custo was here.

This is part of what gives you the rep. Since I know you were able to fix it on the spot with a part I'm sure you had in stock he musta been impressed with the demo of potential customer service.

One of the Marquees I sold developed a loose connection @ the mini coax on the green neck board. The green tube would be fine then flicker on and off at random. The guy was more than happy when I showed up at his place and did a temp fix while I wait for a mini coax receptacle.

It showed him that I will support him as promised and he is happier now than before the incident.

Steve

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Curt,

Nope, that has never happened to me during a demo using a 0 hr CRT NEC because I wont demo a new unit or sell unsealed. Well I cant anymore anyways.

It has happened on a Marquee, but I was just there to do a shoot-off with the NEC, got that one by default and never got to see it.

It has happened to me on a B stock CRT unit but not during a demo.

It has happened to me when I gave the customer the passcode after I left. Contrast stored at 100% on a new registered signal and unterminated.

Yes it has happened to me on a digital when a lamp decided to let go.

Yes it has happened to me before I turned a NEC digital GT series on the first time 18' up because it was in 100 pieces on the floor. I felt stupid but what the heck, it was a LCD, looked cool though. Doug

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.