Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I know if two replay tv's are connected on the same network you can watch one thing from the other one. However, I am trying to find out if it is possible to watch one thing on a replay tv from another if both are connected to the same network, but through a business class cable modem.

Also, I know a show can be sent from one replay tv to another, but I was wondering if it can be sent while it is being recorded, or possible even if it can be watched while it is being sent.

If anyone could help with either it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't believe a show can be sent/streamed while it is recording. I asked basically the same question on the DVArchive board and the answer was no. Basically the ReplayTV unit will not tell other units that a recording is available/exists until the show has completely recorded.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
You *can* watch a show while its being sent on the machine that's sending it, but not on the machine that's receiving it.

You can't stream a show over the 'net, but you CAN extract to DVArchive, then send the file to another DVArchive where your target replay is, then stream it from that to the target Replay. The reason you can't stream is because current ethernet/internet services are not even close to fast enough to do real time streaming of a 2gb file. It will take around 24 hours to buffer it, then it will play :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by heathriel
You *can* watch a show while its being sent on the machine that's sending it, but not on the machine that's receiving it.

You can't stream a show over the 'net, but you CAN extract to DVArchive, then send the file to another DVArchive where your target replay is, then stream it from that to the target Replay. The reason you can't stream is because current ethernet/internet services are not even close to fast enough to do real time streaming of a 2gb file. It will take around 24 hours to buffer it, then it will play :)
Why give an answer if you have no idea wheat are you talking about?

On the subject: yes you can stream over the internet if

1. Your connection speed is hight enough. Caped cable connection is fine for low quality shows.

2. If you know how and have hardware to set up VPN, so your two PTVs would think they are on the same LAN and could see each other.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Baraka
Yes, if both sides had faster connections than my server rack ISP can offer and you were the only users on it, and you were able to trick the replays into thinking they were simply in the next room instead of across the country (or wherever), it could be done.

I personally would LOVE to see a connection fast enough to stream 2gbs-3gbs in a realtime hour. But i know of only two replay users with home symmetric t1 connections (besides myself) and we take around 5 hours to send a show that big.

So please, when responding to things here, think of your audience. I don't honestly think there are many pairs of replay users (because you need two equally fast connections, one to send and one to receive) out there with anywhere close to what your scenario requires.

I would LOVE to see you attempt to do a real time stream, with no video dropouts or freezes, of even a low quality show across a VPN. It is one thing to use IVS, another entirely to do room-to-room streams.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Baraka

On the subject: yes you can stream over the internet if

1. Your connection speed is hight enough. Caped cable connection is fine for low quality shows.

2. If you know how and have hardware to set up VPN, so your two PTVs would think they are on the same LAN and could see each other.
Why give a correct answer when you can just be an a-hole?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fredwinters
baraka,

why reply if you have nothing but insults to add. You are the one that has no clue.
I may have no clue but I have been doing over internet streaming exactly the way I just described.

Quote:
Originally posted by heathriel
baraka,

I personally would LOVE to see a connection fast enough to stream 2gbs-3gbs in a realtime hour.
What is gbs? And what file size has to do with ability to stream it? Size doesn't matter (for this subject of course :) ), throughput matters.

I am in Staten Island, NY on RoadRunner cable connection (about 300-400k upstream). My friend is in Brooklyn NY on the same type of connection also with RoadRunner. Mind you even we both use RoadRunner it's actually different providers, subnets, DNSs etc.

We both using Linksys BEFVP41 routers for VPN.

It depends on the network load but MOST OF THE TIME low quality shows stream fine.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
gbs = gigabytes. 1 hour at low quality is 1gb. Medium is 2gb. High is 3gb.

So, you're saying that you're streaming 1gb per hour and your friend is watching a show that you recorded on your replay on his replay a borough away with no problem. That's some nice Road Runner connection, especially since they don't offer anything anywhere near that speed.

Unless of course we're misunderstanding you and you're saying that you send him shows from your Replay to his Replay and once he receives them he plays them from his Replay. That's IVS, not room-to-room streaming. You have said nothing that would make us think its IVS though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Out of curiosity, let's do the math -

1 GB/hr = 1,073,741,824 Bytes/hr = 1,073,741,824 Bytes/3600 sec = 298,261 Bytes/sec = 291 KBytes/sec

Maybe.

-Alan

·
Registered
31 Posts
You forgot "times 8 bits/byte". 298,261 Bytes/sec * 8 bits/byte = 2,386,088 bits/sec or 2,330 Kbps.

House to house in the same cable company, possible. That is how Baraka is doing it, even though he does not realize it. It is possible to get 10MBit house to house bandwidth. But then the rest of your neighborhood starves, and the cable company eventually (after months) finds you. Bandwidth caps, filtering, web proxy, and other service modifications are mainly done at the border between the cable company and the Internet.

Sneaker-net is still the best high bandwith solution.

·
Registered
63 Posts
TWC in new york city which provides RR service caps DL speed to 250 KB/s or 2Mb/s

UL speed is capped at 40KB/s or 320Kb/s

Big Bs mean bytes

Lil Bs mean bits

Look at it any way you like but unless you somehow hacked your boxes it aint happening, cause they screw ya on the upload

Speaking of fast connections though, i just got back from las vegas where the in room connection had me uploading and downlaoding at over 600KB/s . Just about 5Mb. That was a fast line. wish i could have that at home :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.