AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 50" sony sxrd, I have been wondering if watching 4:3 shows on this tv without stretching damage the tv at all? I know that there is no chance for burn in but I was wondering if would damage the lcos panels at all ? Should I not worry and just enjoy my tv?

·
Banned
33 Posts
the best TV now is the Mitsubishi. It has received the highest rating of any TV...EVER...by CNET.
http://reviews.cnet.com/4323-6531_7-...5.html?tag=dir

You should avoid the SXRD like the plague. The SXRD has a defective design in the light engine which results in a green hazey discoloration normally seen as a donut in the center of the screen, but can exist anywhere. The defect is called the green glob, or green blob. If you do a search on that term in this forum you will quickly come to the right decision.

I had two light engines replaced on my SXRD, before I researched and discovered the design defect. Then i was able to return the set and got something decent, the Mitsubishi 65831, the most highly rated TV ever!

Sony went to SXRD technology as a way to get the pixel lenses closer together to eliminate the screen door effect typical of LCOS. Unfortunately, the engineers forgot about tolerances, temperature effects and the physics of light called refraction. The pixel lense edges, in this defective design, will move in relation to each other due to many reasons, primarily temp expansion/contraction. When this distance is not controlled, the result is light refraction, or bending around these edges and splitting up the color components. The distortion is usually the shape of the chips heat sink which is a round attachment near the center, hence the round donut shaped distortion everyone usually sees.

100% of all SXRD have the defect. Some more pronounced then others. But over time, the Green Glob will ruin your picture. Doesnt matter if its XBR1 or XBR2, if it used SXRD, it has the GREEN GlOB.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
TROLL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasani20ox /forum/post/0

the best TV now is the Mitsubishi. It has received the highest rating of any TV...EVER...by CNET.
http://reviews.cnet.com/4323-6531_7-...5.html?tag=dir

You should avoid the SXRD like the plague. The SXRD has a defective design in the light engine which results in a green hazey discoloration normally seen as a donut in the center of the screen, but can exist anywhere. The defect is called the green glob, or green blob. If you do a search on that term in this forum you will quickly come to the right decision.

I had two light engines replaced on my SXRD, before I researched and discovered the design defect. Then i was able to return the set and got something decent, the Mitsubishi 65831, the most highly rated TV ever!

Sony went to SXRD technology as a way to get the pixel lenses closer together to eliminate the screen door effect typical of LCOS. Unfortunately, the engineers forgot about tolerances, temperature effects and the physics of light called refraction. The pixel lense edges, in this defective design, will move in relation to each other due to many reasons, primarily temp expansion/contraction. When this distance is not controlled, the result is light refraction, or bending around these edges and splitting up the color components. The distortion is usually the shape of the chips heat sink which is a round attachment near the center, hence the round donut shaped distortion everyone usually sees.

100% of all SXRD have the defect. Some more pronounced then others. But over time, the Green Glob will ruin your picture. Doesnt matter if its XBR1 or XBR2, if it used SXRD, it has the GREEN GlOB.

·
Registered
315 Posts
What the F are you doing cross posting the same response on multiple forums, do have this text that you cut & paste in all the forums you visit.

One prone to sweeping generalizations are prone to spouting BS. I have had a perfectly fine SXRD for many months as do the majority of SXRD owners.

-Craig

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
TROLL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasani20ox /forum/post/0

be patient.......it wont be long now......when the green glob plops up and ruins your picture

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
To answer the OP, I've watched hours on end of 4/3 stuff with black bars on my A2000 with no problems whatsoever. Similarly the set's been run for many hours of 2:35 dvds with black bars above and below with no ill effects.

As an aside I did the same with a crt based widescreen Sony for 5 years with no burn in--just kept contrast below 50%.

·
Registered
16,177 Posts
You cannot harm LCOS (or DLP) displays by watching 4:3 material.

(And dasani20ox is the troll who keeps posting the same drivel under at least 6 different names.)

·
Registered
147 Posts
If you watch 4:3 black barred for a long period of time, then follow it up with 16:9 right away, you may see some retention (most noticeable where the black bar meets the image.) This is not burn in though and will go away with viewing (less then 10 minutes was always my experience.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.