AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup it's a Discovery HD program called Urban Wild -Paris that happened to be listed in the guide all day. It has a logo with the word Discovery spelled out about an inch tall and a globe below it about the size of a 50 cent piece (on a 55" WS).

The real question is, where is it coming from. Without any reports of it being uplinked to C-band yet, I just have to assume it's a tape they got from Discovery.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,755 Posts
Bell ExpressVu, a Canadian DBS provider.

·
Registered
333 Posts
If it is a tape , would it still include commercials?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Who knows. But they are rebroadcasting it a few times over the next day it looks like.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I missed it on BEV earlier but it is listed again for later tonight. I assume that it is a tape. This may be an indication that BEV and Discovery have talked and that BEV will carry it part, or less likely, full time.

Roy

Update: I am watching it now. It's a good show with excellent quality HD. There are quite a few commercials (in 4x3). I checked the Discovery Channel Canada web site and saw that the same program is listed at the same times today. So, I guess that explains at least part of it, that the program, and commercials, is being provided by Discovery Canada. Still, I wonder if it is related to the upcoming HD channel in some way.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Urban Wild - Toronto is on right now from Discovery HD on BEV.

Any guesses why BEV has captured DiscoveryHD two weeks in a row?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How have these 2 programs now looked on your setup Geoff? They seem to be a tad soft to me, I dont know. I'm not one to comment about PQ all that much, but thats what I'm seeing. The closeups of some of the wildlife theres no mistaking as being in HD, but some of the long range stuff seems to be lacking a tad in detail compared to other 1080i documentaries on HDNet and PBS etc. Or, maybe it's just me.

·
Registered
33,857 Posts
Dan,

It can be very deceiving making PQ assessments from close-ups since very often close-ups tend to look good in almost any format. The real test are the wide shots which it seems you weren't too impressed with. Is it possible this was an upconvert?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I dont think so Ken. For example, when watching the widescreen shows on PBS that arent true HD, no matter how good some of them may look, theres no mistaking the difference since we're talking video based.

Now were they film based, as we know, theres alot of variables there with "intent" if nothing else. Not to say video cant be altered but thats usually reserved for dramatic presentations, not nature documentaries.

I may just be being unfair since I didnt watch either hour in it's entirety, it's just some initial thoughts is all.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I too thought the long shots looked soft.And I also thought that maybe it was an upconvert but after watching the credits it appears that at least some of it was used with HD cameras.Is it possible that it was a combination of SD upconvert and HD ?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I also viewed the Toronto Urban/Wild show on EXVU. A couple of observations:

The long shots may have looked softer as a result of particulate matter (pollution) in the air. Even a light haze can signficantly reduce apparent resolution on distant shots. We're all used to seeing quite a few nature/wildlife programming shot in the wild, away from metropolitan areas, and those generally appear sharper. Just a thought.

I noted at the end of the credits that Discovery Canada was noted as a "Division of Bell ExpressVU Canada". Did anyone else catch that? If so, it would seem there may be a possibility that Discovery HD may launch in Canada on ExpressVU about the same time as in the US.

Finally, an email this morning from an inside contact at DISH Network reiterated the stated position that they will have bandwidth for 12 HD channels (minimum) after the merger. Presently, there are bandwidth and negotiation issues regarding Discovery HD on DISH. It doesn't sound hopeful in the short term.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The only prob is Evu is more strapped for bandwidth even than Dish. Not to say the couldnt show alot of that programming though when there isnt any Network HD on 286, if they wanted to.

As far as Dish and their bandwidth I'm sure they could squeeze Disc HD in if they really wanted to by rearranging some things on 61.5. Seems to me there was some posibilities there when I was checking out the transponder load and layout on lyngsat the other day. But what do I know about it? ;)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DP1
The only prob is Evu is more strapped for bandwidth even than Dish. Not to say the couldnt show alot of that programming though when there isnt any Network HD on 286, if they wanted to.

As far as Dish and their bandwidth I'm sure they could squeeze Disc HD in if they really wanted to by rearranging some things on 61.5. Seems to me there was some posibilities there when I was checking out the transponder load and layout on lyngsat the other day. But what do I know about it? ;)
You're probably right and God knows they could dump some of the home shopping and ultra-narrow interest channels.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
How did the two programs compare to the Eco Challenge on Dishnetwork demo and DirecTV 199 before HDNet? The demo seemed little soft on the long shots also compared to HDNet but good enough to be considered HDTV.

As far as Dishnetwork, from what has been said by Charlie and their email, I am less hopeful about Discovery HD on both Dishnetwork and DirecTV. Dishnetwork appears to spread the word they are less enthusiastic about adding Discovery HD for now, DirecTV probably will not rush into this unless Dishnetwork is doing it.

Either of them will have the bandwidth to add if the other guy add it first. If anyone still has the illusion about the merger, he would by now pray it does not go through.

12 HD channels is crap, they can add that many after their spot beams are up and running. Only competition will force them to add.

·
Premium Member
12,981 Posts
"12 HD channels is crap, they can add that many after their spot beams are up and running. Only competition will force them to add."

Here! Here!

No truer words were ever spoken. It took me quite a few months to realize that I AM AGAINST the merger. I have both DTV and DN and don't care that I have to have both to get what I want. HDTV is growing comfortably right now and with spot beam, there will be plenty of bandwidth. What should happen is that DirecTV needs to be spun off to a separate company and not tied to GM. Hostile takovers is not my area of expertise but I see this DN "merger" as something good for Charlie, himself, and bad for everyone else.

Editorial

While I like the free ride on HDTV so far, there will need to be a time when both providers begin to charge for the HDTV services. I hope that DiscoveryHD is only available to those who buy the bigger all channel packages as one of those bonus channels that only come with the "Platinum" type subs. DN has it's own lingo for it but the concept is the same. I also feel that to get HBO HD one needs to sub to their top HBO package and that comes with the package. The idea that HBO HD is free to someone like me who only pays for Starz on DirecTV is just incredibly stupid from a business perspective. It's time that we begin to pay for what we get and that should be styled like the current packages being offered. a la carte is also done but you would really be paying a premium per channel for a la carte but I feel this could also satisfy those who do not want to pay for all those shopping channels, etc. that they never watch. Let them pay for specific HDTV channels if a la carte is what they want. I'm not going to suggest a price because DirecTV has already paved the way for this in their existing a la carte structure. Not sure at the moment if DN has such a la carte pricing. All I'm saying is that the free ride should be over and that with these channels on the payroll, we will have more clout in getting new offerings.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Dan,

Please compare Bev's PQ with the new promo between movies on Dish PPV channel 9428. It has footage from "Discovery HD Theater"; and, you can get a look at the "Discovery HD Theater" bug.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.