AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting CSI in HD, however, there seems to be some "noise" in the picture. Its a little fuzzy. On the scens of vegas and the daylight scenes, it looks good, but the closeups and darker scenes 't look so hot.

Anyone getting that.Do I have to tune my antenna better. Any other suggestions.

Gotta go, CSI is back on!!!

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
The noise is probably in the source; You can't make an HD picture better by adjusting your antenna. With digital transmission it either works, or you get breakups. There's no noise or static.

·
Premium Member
11,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ccapozzoli
I am getting CSI in HD, however, there seems to be some "noise" in the picture. Its a little fuzzy. On the scens of vegas and the daylight scenes, it looks good, but the closeups and darker scenes 't look so hot.

Anyone getting that.Do I have to tune my antenna better. Any other suggestions.

Gotta go, CSI is back on!!!
Hi, I know you said in another post you were new to the HD scene. Have you broken in your set and done basic calibrations?:)

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am having my set calibrated on Thursday. I am also have my DirecTV dish tuned so I can get HD.

Is HD any the same or better on satellite than on OTA

Thanks

I'm watching ER now. Not bad

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK Guys.. Tell me this. Why are the voices behind the video. Its driving me crazt. I'm watching ER now and the lips are not moving in sync with the sounds.

Any suggestions???

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Looked terrific to me last night via E*.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
CSI is shot on film, and heavily processed for stylistic reasons. What the original poster was probably seeing was the film grain and over exposure that is part and parcel for this "treatment." High Definition is simply revealing what couldn't be resolved before.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
It looked really good to me last night as well. I love the blood and guts in HD.

I'm sure this has been covered ad nauseam, but why does this show look so good? I think the show that follows it is produced by the same guy (Jerry Bruckheimer?), but it just does not look as good. It's often much grainier. I don't mind some grain as it adds to the "film look", but Without a Trace seems to have too much of it. Does CBS just take special care with CSI since it is their most-watched show?

It also has much more depth to it, even in dark scenes. I've tried to watch some of Law and Order, but their dark scenes looked really flat.

Thanks,

Dave

EDIT: *LOL* Joe posted at the same time I did. I don't find CSI to be all that grainy. Or perhaps it is a much more natural grain.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I watched it on WCBS-DT ota from NYC last night, and I thought it was another very good looking episode. I agree, I think that grainy overexposed look is stylistic and intentionally put in, and I think it adds to the show. I don't often watch CSI: Miami though, at least partly because it's shot more during the day in sunny Florida, and the overexposure makes it look too bright and harsh, whereas CSI on Thursday is predominantly filmed at night and indoors.

I also think that sometimes the gore, which on regular tv would be hardly noticeable, is extra gross in HD :cP

Also, no lipsync problems here.

MC

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
"Without a Trace" is an obvious attempt by Bruckheimer to cash in on the "Law & Order" phenomena. (Not saying it's a bad show, mind you.) As such, the grainy, "cinema verte" look is part-and-parcel of of the style.

What I'm saying is that there doesn't appear to be any problem with the transfers of "Without a Trace" or "Law & Order." The transfers are revealing exactly what the production team intended.

I agree that the CSI "look" doesn't jive real well with the Miami version.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
I love the realisim available only on the HD version of CSI, the problem is, those people on the table that are supposed to be dead keep breathing! My wife finds it distracting, because she is getting into the medical field and is looking at stuff like that.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Scott, I haven't noticed the breathing thing yet, but I'm amazed that your wife gets that far. My girlfriend-- who's a resident in surgery-- has to kick in some serious suspension of disbelief to get past the corn-syrup-and-red-dye blood. ;)

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK NOW I have to look at the next episode to see it there are any dead people breathing.

Your right with the lin sync thing on WHDT-HD NBC. It was drive me crazy on ER. I thought it was my Zenith HD STB, but now I know its not.

Leno last night looked great. Can't wait to see whats on tonight.

I love this Stuff!!!:D

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Yeah, look at the corotted (I know that is not spelled right!) arterey, the one in the neck, when they show someone laying on the table, or watch their stomach area.

She knows that they have to fake things, otherwise it would be like the episode they had a few weeks ago, the "snuff films" episode.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I'd noticed the "living" corpses on over 50% of the shows and then somewhere saw a segment (don't recall where) about the auditions the actors (who portray the dead folks) have to go through to see how well they can control their breathing once they've got the make-up on.

Obviously you can't control the flow of blood through your carotid artery. I thought it was deliberate so viewers couldn't get the idea that they were REAL dead folk:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.