AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am in the process of building my first HTPC. Just wanted to know how i can watch DishTV cable on my HTPC, the prime reason is recording and watching it later.

I guess i will require a TV Tuner card like the Hauppauge. However i am not sure if Hauppauge supports HDMI ports for HD.

Currently i have a dish receiver VIP722 that has one output hdmi port that goes into my AV SC-37 receiver. But i am not sure how to make it work with the HTPC.

Can someone guide me.. will i need an HDMI splitter for Dish receiver??

How will the connection work??

Dish receiver Out HDMI port > Splitter > two hdmi connections > one to AV reciever, other two HTPC (card), back from HTPC to AVI??

Please guide.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
no piece of pc hardware supports HDMI in from a set top box. that HDMI signal is encrypted.

the hauppauge device you need is either the HD-PVR or Colossus. it will accept the component video and optical audio. you then send that out of your pc into your tv and receiver.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 /forum/post/20766278

no piece of pc hardware supports HDMI in from a set top box. that HDMI signal is encrypted.

the hauppauge device you need is either the HD-PVR or Colossus. it will accept the component video and optical audio. you then send that out of your pc into your tv and receiver.

I got a little confused here mate.

You mean to say that i cannot use a HDMI cable with the Colossus plugging it out from my htpc and into my reciever??

·
Registered
3,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyindian /forum/post/20766334

You mean to say that i cannot use a HDMI cable with the Colossus plugging it out from my htpc and into my reciever??

your setup would go like this:

Dish box connects to colossus using component and optical.

from there I would send an hdmi out of the video card in the pc to the receiver, and then from the receiver to the television.

the pc is in between the Dish box and the television. you dont hook the Dish boy up to both. You will change channels by pointing a remote at the pc, and then the pc will tell the Dish box to change channels. You can do that with an ir blaster (which I believe is built into the colossus) or via firewire if your box supports it.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyindian /forum/post/20766334

The Colossus is not a video card, it's a capture card. There is no HDMI output.

There is a component video output, but that is strictly a passthrough, not a way to watch recorded content.

Your pc's regular HDMI output is how you connect your receiver via HDMI.

Some people are able to capture some video via HDMI from Directv boxes, I don't know about Dish. But nothing that is encrypted will be captured via HDMI. That's why the component video connections are there. They aren't encrypted. So you can get HD video via component video cables, and Dolby Digital 5.1 audio via an optical audio cable, and I find with my Colossus the recordings look and sound as good as the original Directv picture and sound.

But the hookup to the receiver for replay (or for monitoring during recording for me) is by means of the HDMI output of my motherboard.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 /forum/post/20766580

The Colossus is not a video card, it's a capture card. There is no HDMI output.

There is a component video output, but that is strictly a passthrough, not a way to watch recorded content.

Your pc's regular HDMI output is how you connect your receiver via HDMI.

Some people are able to capture some video via HDMI from Directv boxes, I don't know about Dish. But nothing that is encrypted will be captured via HDMI. That's why the component video connections are there. They aren't encrypted. So you can get HD video via component video cables, and Dolby Digital 5.1 audio via an optical audio cable, and I find with my Colossus the recordings look and sound as good as the original Directv picture and sound.

But the hookup to the receiver for replay (or for monitoring during recording for me) is by means of the HDMI output of my motherboard.

That's sad though, the sole purpose for adding a TV capture card in my htpc was for recording/capturing drm free programs.

Can someone confirm weather recording is possible through DishTV over Colossus? Dont want to get into all the hassle of capture card, and tons of wires running through. Already there is enough mess behind the rack.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 /forum/post/20766567

your setup would go like this:

Dish box connects to colossus using component and optical.

from there I would send an hdmi out of the video card in the pc to the receiver, and then from the receiver to the television.

the pc is in between the Dish box and the television. you dont hook the Dish boy up to both. You will change channels by pointing a remote at the pc, and then the pc will tell the Dish box to change channels. You can do that with an ir blaster (which I believe is built into the colossus) or via firewire if your box supports it.

Thanks for that response mate, I get it now. Just waiting on responses a previous dilemma i posted above regarding the card can capture dish tv programs or not.

·
Registered
23,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 /forum/post/20766278

Actually a lot of the Dish and DirecTV boxes do not employ HDCP, at least not on "normal" channels (no idea about PPV). I know my 211's don't have HDCP enabled.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyindian /forum/post/20766645

That's sad though, the sole purpose for adding a TV capture card in my htpc was for recording/capturing drm free programs.

Can someone confirm weather recording is possible through DishTV over Colossus? Dont want to get into all the hassle of capture card, and tons of wires running through. Already there is enough mess behind the rack.

I'm not sure I understand the source of the confusion. If the source has component video output and optical audio output, you can record it in HD and DD 5.1. That includes cable, Dish and DirecTV boxes. You can do that by using the component video HD output because it is not subject to HDCP.

In addition, you can record at least some channels off of satelite boxes by means of HDMI. But why bother? You can get essentially perfect copies using the analog component video output and leave the HDMI output hooked up to your receiver or TV. I don't think you'll get any better copy by means of HDMI because the copies made by component are indistinguishable from the original.

Is there some problem you see with this? If so, I'll try to help, but I'm not sure what the problem is.

·
Registered
276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 /forum/post/20766878

Actually a lot of the Dish and DirecTV boxes do not employ HDCP, at least not on "normal" channels (no idea about PPV). I know my 211's don't have HDCP enabled.

I've never tried PPV from my VIP722, but everything I've attempted to cap over HDMI on the Colossus has worked fine (ESPN, STARZ, etc)

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
HD PVR with 211k using component. I have optical to HD PVR optical out to AVR - records fine. Leave HD PVR on, optical audio syncs fine with dish when watching directly, get DD/DTS as if connected directly.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 /forum/post/20766934

I'm not sure I understand the source of the confusion. If the source has component video output and optical audio output, you can record it in HD and DD 5.1. That includes cable, Dish and DirecTV boxes. You can do that by using the component video HD output because it is not subject to HDCP.

In addition, you can record at least some channels off of satelite boxes by means of HDMI. But why bother? You can get essentially perfect copies using the analog component video output and leave the HDMI output hooked up to your receiver or TV. I don't think you'll get any better copy by means of HDMI because the copies made by component are indistinguishable from the original.

Is there some problem you see with this? If so, I'll try to help, but I'm not sure what the problem is.

Thanks for your reply mate. I will take the plunge and get the Colossus Card. Would like to thank other members for their input for verifying this works.

As i see that i will require two different kind of cables for making this work. Need one more favour.. can someone post links for those cables, I am in the process of concealing all the wires into the wall from my Home Theater and HPTC. Hence i need to get them into the walls before i proceed. Please help me with what cables wuld i require for the Colossus? Even if the card comes with required wires, i will have to buy longer ones, cos i am running them through the wall conceled. approx. 12/15 feet.

Would like to have 5.1 audio and the best possible video resolution. Please advice cables accordingly.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have recorded from Dish 722 using an Avermedia HDDVR capture card which is similar to the Hauppauge Colussus and the first available to capture HD through HDMI. Had to use component because the HDMI input gave me nothing but HDCP errors or I would get video and no audio through HDMI with the 722. Nothing wrong with component, though since the video was just as good as with HDMI. The Avermedia card, though only captured stereo audio. Only disadvantage to the component & separate audio is clutter of cables. Main problem with Avermedia is having to use their software which is pathetic and all recordings had to be done manually. I think the HDCP errors were as much a problem of the Avermedia as the 722.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsilvest /forum/post/20769119

Only disadvantage to the component & separate audio is clutter of cables.

You know, you can get a single cable that combines the component and optical into one bundle. Amazon has some for less than $10. You can search for "combination component optical cable" or look on Amazon for a RCA HD6CHP or a RCA DT6CHP.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.