AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I finally set up my new Panasonic 50PX80U today and it looks pretty good, but not great. When I'm watching the football game, the field looks weird. Kind of like it's "swimming" in water. Hard to explain. Maybe it's the gas in the Plasma? When I watch the commercials it looks great, but something about the field is showing up weird. Closeups seem fine too. Just the wideshot is under water. Is this the normal breaking-in period? Will it straighten itself out or is something wrong with the tv?

Also there was a thread where people listed their settings for this unit but I can't seem to find it. Can someone point me in the right direction? So I can see what everyone else has their setting at?

Much thanks!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm not quite sure what you mean...I'm watching the game right now and I know the superimposed graphics on the field like the yellow first down line and the down and distance arrow seem like they are "swimming," but that is because FOX, it's nothing to do with the tv.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Fox sucks. Can't do anything about it. It's amazing seeing the huge drop in quality between the earlier CBS game and this one. So bad. Your problems seem source related. Cable is compressed and has video noise; however, using any setting other than cinema on your tv will add more video noise.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, weird. Could be source related. I didn't get the tv set up in time for the CBS game. I guess I'll have to see if I have the same problem tomorrow. I'm on dish network, not cable.

The commercials and closeups look fine, but the wideshot of the field seems like water and the players kind of have an "aura" of water around them. I just checked and I'm in Vibrant mode, I'll switch to Cinema and see if that make a different.

Also, in an unrelated topic, does this tv have a "16x9" mode? My Toshiba did. My OTA antennae is filling the whole screen, but when I switch to the "HD" dish network channel it's letterboxed. I went through the "format" modes on the tv and on the dish receiver and it didn't fix it. Weird. I'll probably figure most of this out later but I didn't want to interrupt my game watching at the moment so I figured I would post here.

·
Registered
518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow331 /forum/post/15520988

Thanks my friend for the link.

Anyone have any thoughts on my "swimming"?

except ours looked like watery 3/8 inch circles. An ISF calibration fixed it!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! Switching to Cinema and making some setting adjustments drastically cut the "swimming" down, almost eliminating it. I'll make some more tweaks for tomorrow's game.

Though a calibration might be in order too.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Swimming grass is a sure sign of compression gone wild.

It is a source issue.

The FOX presentations have been aweful for the final college games and yesterdays plaoff games.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S /forum/post/15524062

Swimming grass is a sure sign of compression gone wild.

It is a source issue.

The FOX presentations have been aweful for the final college games and yesterdays plaoff games.

Plus it was raining during much of the game last night. That doesn't help.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I dunno, I spent a lot of time last night tweaking this thing and though the "swimming" has mostly gone away, on the wideshot of the field, when the camera pans around, the whites on the field especially are pretty noisy and distracting. I went from a 40" rptv to this 50" plasma. Is it just nature of the beast? I'll check and see how it compares with the late game.

The other thing is, I'm still having the problem of it not filling my screen. The game is showing up letterboxed on my screen. I checked the receiver and it's set to 720p, I didn't see a similar setting on the tv itself so I'll assum the tv knows it's 720p .... the OTA from my silver sensor is filling the screen which is how I usually watch these games, but I was testing out the Dish Network HD signal and that's where I'm getting letterbox

Any ideas??

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Well, if you are within say 10' you may be seeing the pixel structure(most evident in white text) or the lower resolution when things are in motion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts