AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to watch PAL DVDs on US HTPC DVD players? Can DVDDecrypter or any other program rip/convert PAL DVDs to NTSC?

hjackson

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
WinDVD and PowerDVD both play back pal discs fine, you might need a region free option, the program AnyDVD works fine to remove region coding.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hjackson
Oh, thanks! I didn't know that! :cool: How about ZoomPlayer?

hjackson
Not sure, but probably, have been using TheaterTek for a long time now, I do know that the MyHD card will not work though.

Jim

·
Registered
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vfrjim
WinDVD and PowerDVD both play back pal discs fine, you might need a region free option, the program AnyDVD works fine to remove region coding.
Do you need a particular version of PowerDVD? I'm using ver. 4. It happens that I was looking for a movie and I found it only on amazon UK, region 0, PAL format. I want to know if I will run into trouble runing this with my PC and the Panasonic PTL-75u. I don't know about the refresh rates of the PJ. I have never touched that.

·
Registered
425 Posts
No I have uesd both PowerDVD 4 and 5 and they both work fine. No special version needed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
PowerDVD or WinDVD will play PAL discs just fine. The "micro-stuttering" you might notice is due to the fact that NTSC material is 60Hz, while PAL material is 50Hz. Since you're probably running the PJ at 60Hz, you might notice some micro-stutter, but it shouldn't be THAT noticible. Search the forums for info on your PJ, maybe it can support 50Hz native. If it's just for a disc or two, I wouldn't touch it!

Anyway, if the disc is in fact "Region 0", that means it will play on ANY region-set player. European PAL discs are Region 2, North American / Japan discs are Region 1. Your PC should be able to play the disc without the need to install ANyDVD or other such programs. If you plan to use other region discs (2,3,4,5..etc), then AnyDVD is a very good / simple solution.

Now, since I'm an American/Italian in PAL land that owns just as many region 1 discs as region 2 discs.... wouldn't it be great if I could get my Z2 to switch between 50 and 60Hz on-the-fly?!? Oh well.... I'd be happy to get that done even if it was complicated!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well, I'm coming from the other way. I was using Zoomplayer with Sonic filters to play a couple of NTSC DVD's and they worked perfectly. One thing I did notice though, was that NTSC is **** :) Get the PAL DVD and enjoy :p

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ciao Phaze,

Sorry for butting in, but I’m in your same situation -- in more ways than one it seems. ;) May I ask how you currently handle switching between 60 and 50 Hz refresh rates? My PJ is a Panasonic AE500 rather than a Sanyo Z2, but I’m guessing the procedure would be identical on the HTPC side.

I was hoping I could use Powerstrip to write a custom monitor driver supporting both refresh rates, so that I could at least change the rate from within Windows’ Display Properties. i.e. Select 1280x720 on the resolution slider, and then either 50 or 60 Hz in the Monitor properties.

However, it appears you can only have one refresh rate per resolution when making a customized monitor driver. So right now, whenever I want to switch modes, I need to re-create a custom timing with the desired refresh rate. Needless to say, that's a major pain when you're constantly switching between NTSC and PAL material.

On the fly switching might be a pipe dream, but hopefully there's an easier way that I haven't thought of...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Quote:
YOu can use power strip to set a time at 50hz and one at 60hz and use short cut keys to change.
You can?! :eek: That would make life so much easier!

I'm off to investigate this further... And will probably come crying back here when I can't get it to work. ;)

·
Registered
120 Posts
You can also use ReClock to change on the fly. Reclock can use powerstrip to change resolution/refresh rate depending on the frame rate of the source. Look at 'RunEvent.sample.vbs' for more info. I've never tried it since I only output via s-video, so I can't comment on how easy/difficult it is to get working.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions! But are any of you using Powerstrip to switch between two profiles with the same resolution, the only difference being the refresh rate?

I've saved two different display profiles, both with my PJ’s native resolution of 1280x720p, but with different refresh rates: 50 and 60 Hz. However when switching between the two, Powerstrip doesn’t actually change the refresh rate -- possibly because I’m not asking it to change the resolution as well.

It switches fine if the profiles have different resolutions, say 1280x720 @ 60Hz and 1280x768 @ 50Hz, for instance; but then I’d lose 1:1 pixel mapping on one of the profiles. :(

I don’t know whether I’m doing something wrong, or whether this is a limitation of Powerstrip.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Abstrakt
Ciao Phaze,

Sorry for butting in, but I’m in your same situation -- in more ways than one it seems. ;) May I ask how you currently handle switching between 60 and 50 Hz refresh rates? My PJ is a Panasonic AE500 rather than a Sanyo Z2, but I’m guessing the procedure would be identical on the HTPC side. (...)
Ciao Abstract,

Actually, I gave up on the whole thing! I'm just running my Z2 at 1280x720 60Hz via DVI. There is a thread I started some time ago regarding PAL 50Hz on the Z2 in the "Under $3500.00" PJ forum, and they seem to have found some solutions for 50Hz on the Z2, but it's a hit-and-miss thing. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. I'll try to tackle the problem again when I have more time at hand, maybe this summer.

Good luck!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Abstrakt
Thanks for the suggestions! But are any of you using Powerstrip to switch between two profiles with the same resolution, the only difference being the refresh rate?

I've saved two different display profiles, both with my PJ’s native resolution of 1280x720p, but with different refresh rates: 50 and 60 Hz. However when switching between the two, Powerstrip doesn’t actually change the refresh rate -- possibly because I’m not asking it to change the resolution as well.

It switches fine if the profiles have different resolutions, say 1280x720 @ 60Hz and 1280x768 @ 50Hz, for instance; but then I’d lose 1:1 pixel mapping on one of the profiles. :(

I don’t know whether I’m doing something wrong, or whether this is a limitation of Powerstrip.
What you want to do is possible, and here is the link that will help you out

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have many quite a few region 1 discs a lots of region 2, I run my (LCD) PJ at 100Hz vertical and everything works really well, I found any lower refresh rate would be good for 60Hz and not 50Hz or the other way round.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Quote:
What you want to do is possible, and here is the link that will help you out
Thank you, Orangelo! That's exactly what I was looking for.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks from me also, Orangelo: I guess I'll just have to find the time to try that out. (even though I think my real problem is 50Hz on the Z2 in itself !)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.