Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new to this ReplayTV and gone thru this forum and quite excited if I could watch (wirelessly) a show recorded on a ReplayTV without downloading to my laptop... I read about DVarchive but this requires you to download the show.

Another example, is watching a recorded show from my office on a ReplayTV at home...what is needed?

Thank you for your advice and has anybody ever done this sort of thing..if so, can you give me detailed steps on how to setup the hardware (IP configs, routers, ports) and software needed on the client PC (be it a laptop or desktop)

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
DVArchive to get the shows to your laptop (DVArchive needs java installed)

reVue to watch the shows. It has 30 sec skip and instant replay..nice (reVue needs XP with Microsoft Net Framework installed(Look for it in Windows Updates)

cow

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not want to download the shows to my laptop since my laptop has not that enough space. Space is a big concern. Is there a way just to watch a recorded show without having to download the file?

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
You can install DVArchive on your laptop and stream shows from ReplayTVs or other computers running DVArchive. Works great.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you mean by the word "stream". How do you "stream" shows from the replaytv. Can you give more details on how to stream shows?

If I use DVarchive, can I just click on the show on the replayTV and it will play using media player or what other software can play replaytv recorded shows.

Thnak you for all your responses.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gee
What do you mean by the word "stream".
Streaming is what happens on a LAN when you watch a show on one ReplayTV that was recorded and resides on another ReplayTV on the same LAN. I didn't catch you wanted to do this across the Internet. To do that, you'd need to transfer or download the show to your laptop (streaming is not possible across the Internet).

·
Registered
446 Posts
There's always the option to burn DVDs from files downloaded from DVArchive, but if you don't have a DVD burner its an expensive option, They are starting to get beloe $100 now for 4x burners.

Or, just buy a bigger hard drive for your laptop, or perhaps an external one.

·
Registered
529 Posts
It would also be helpful to know if your laptop has a fast enough processor to be able to watch a streamed show. If the HD is under 20 GB then the processor is suspect as well.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Gee,

What you are asking to do can be done and is how I stream to my laptop. I regularly stream shows to my laptop...

400 Mhz should suffice.

Show must be recorded in STANDARD quality not medium or high quality...

Things you will need -

* Elecard MPEG2 Decoder Package 2.0 - decodes streamed mpeg

* DVArchive configured to stream to - C:\\Program Files\\Windows Media Player\\mplayer2.exe

Everything is outlined either online at dvarchive.org or in the release notes of DVArchive. An alternative method is also given but I have found the above method gives the best quality.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Loren,

Went to the site for Elecard MPEG2 but there is nothing under evaluation software.

How much does this cost?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.