AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was all set to buy the Samsung 56" DLP set because I was so impressed with the HDTV picture that I saw at Tweeter and Cambridge Sound Works. But then we switched to conventional TV -- a golf tournament -- and the golfer looked like he was playing under water. The grass behind him was waving back and forth like sea grass. It was terribly distracting.

I know that this is a known problem with current sets, but I'm wondering if there's either a way to fix this problem with some sort of add-on, or if the just announced next crop of sets will fix (or at least noticeably correct) it.

Perhaps we're just supposed to wait till all programming is in HDTV -- But: Will that actually fix the problem? Won't old stuff still be standard TV, even if broadcast over an HDTV network?

I also understand that manufacturers are mandated to include HDTV tuners in a significant portion (50% ?) of their sets this year. Of course, few current sets have built-in tuners, and I've heard that some people have had modest (or worse) problems with the wait for, and installation of, their HDTV cable box.

From the names given to some of the features on the just announced sets, and the government mandate to include built-in tuners in the next round of sets, it sounds like these new sets may address these two "problems". For $4000 or so, I was thinking that it may be worth the brief wait (that is, till the second or third quarter of 2004). Or, am I just "out to lunch" in reaching this conclusion?

Sorry to ask what is probably a real "newbie" question, but I sure don't get good answers from the retailers!

Thanks!

·
Registered
157 Posts
The following is a poor attempt at humor:

There is a new treatment for Stadardis Definitionis Televisionsi Garbageis Syndrome . The product is sold at most local drugstores, and has been called a face mask in the past. Users of the sleeping/face mask are immune to symptoms of rage and depression associated with watching standard definition television signals. The only known side effect is the inability to see anything while using the mask.

Speaking seriously. The quality of the signal one watches depends on the original source, levels of compression by the local service provider, as well as many other factors. There really is no way that the end user can correct a crappy signal. Larger television sets unfortunately are good at representing the pictures true quality. This can be good and bad depending on the source.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Some picutures where never made to be blown up to 56". Nothing will ever change that. If you look at most programming today, some looks good when blown up, others look crappy.

Going forward, there will be more and more programming made from scratch to look good at 56". But, as you point out, the old stuff won't be magically transformed.

·
Registered
16,165 Posts
Fortunately I watch HD channels 98% of the time with Comcast cable (the major networks, ESPN, and HBO are all available in HD on Comcast in my area), and my Samsung 56" DLP looks incredible for HD. The "old stuff" is not a problem since it is broadcast digitally on the HD channels, so the quality is good. The PQ for the SD channels is not great, but I find it is significantly better if you split the cable: have the cable go to the cable box for the digital and HD channels (connect the cable box to the TV with component or DVI cables), and directly to the TV for the SD channels. The only downside is having to switch the input in the TV menu to component 2 for viewing digital/HD channels (above 100 on Comcast) and to antenna for viewing SD channels (channels below 100 on Comcast). By the way, you don't need a built-in HD tuner if you go with HD cable or satellite.

I don't know what you are referring to regarding problems with HD cable - I scheduled Comcast to come the day after they delivered the TV, and had no problems at all. Waiting for the next generation HDTV will not help with SD channels since the poor PQ is due to garbage in-garbage out (the poor quality is magnified due to the better resolution of the TV and the larger screen size).

·
Registered
316 Posts
anyone knows how it will look with regular direct tv

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was all set to buy a Hitachi 50V based on viewing it at several stores (all of which were using HD signals). Well, I went a Sears Outlet and they happened to have the Hitachi on standard Directv and a S-Video cable. The picture looked horrible. The picture was very milky looking. Next to it was a regular CRT 32 inch Sony television on the same channel, and that picture looked fantastic.

According to the salesman, the Sony LCD RPT has the best picture without a HD signal (he didn't have one for me to see).

I currently have and love Tivo and Tivo has not come out with a reasonably priced HD Tivo for Directv yet. So I know I'm going to be stuck with regular satellite for a couple of more years.

If anyone has the Sony LCD RPT and uses Directv SD, how's the picture?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by morpheus6d9
anyone knows how it will look with regular direct tv
I have a 42" GWIII that I chose over a 467W after auditioning both technologies with SD feeds. It seemed to me that the Sony tolerated SD a bit better. After 3 months with the LCD RP, I connected a Comcast HD box (2 weeks now). [I've had DBS for about 5 years so the next step after getting the TV was either upgrading the DBS for HD or trying out the cable version.] For me, watching a component fed HBO SD from the cable box has no competition with the same channel (SD) from the DBS thru S-video. [The channels between 100 can still be dreadful.] However, I can't say that what the outcome would be if my DBS receiver supported it component also. For me, the fact that Comcast carries HD of the locals made a difference ... for now. I hear that D* will soon carry a CBS network feed. CSI last Thursday was awesome in HD.

YMMV

I just remembered, my cableco is supposed to roll out HD DVDs sometime this year, possibly before the end of the 2nd quarter. For DBS, the HD Tivo isn't ready just yet and I love my Tivo.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I went today to look at the 56" Gateway DLP at our local Gateway Country store. They had it on an HD channel and it looked pretty good (not spectacular, but very acceptable when you consider they are selling it for $2999).

Someone asked them to show an SD signal. Clearly they have had this request before and they put a channel that was just a large talking head. The PQ was worse, but still watchable. They were very smart in the channel they chose because it minimized the picture artifacts from the SD signal.

Someone then asked them to switch over to an SD basketball game. The picture was truly horrible. Totally unwatchable. I dont necessarily blame this on the Gateway, as I understand this is problem for DLP sets in general. The plasma screens in the store were better, but still not great.

This sealed the deal for me. Im going to wait to buy one of these until a lot more HD content is available in my area. Otherwise, I'd need to keep another TV around just to watch a non HD sporting event. It should serve a warning to others as well . . . before you make a decision on one of these, ask to see an SD sporting event on one.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
This sealed the deal for me. Im going to wait to buy one of these until a lot more HD content is available in my area. Otherwise, I'd need to keep another TV around just to watch a non HD sporting event.

I don't think its a generic "sports" that looks bad blown up to the big screen. The single best looking SD programming on my DLP is MNF - which spends a fortune on good cameras and quality equipment. Nothing looks worse than local sports programming, which produces shows on the cheap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.